Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

VIDEO! Rolled hems, grosgrain binding... Rotary Even Foot!

I have been seeing a lot of posts recently about sewing rolled hems. Some people like to do them by hand, some use adhesive, and some use homemade plastic or aluminum jigs to do it. I made a few of the plastic jigs myself and they "sort of" work but need a lot of alignment and during the process I never had a free hand to make any other adjustments. I just received this Rotary Even Foot made by Janome in the mail today and decided I would make my first ever video demonstrating the ease of use. This is the first video I have ever made so please be kind haha. I know my voice sounds pretty monotone and kinda creepy, but I'm feeling under the weather and was just using my cellphone and a tripod to film and voice-over. I really enjoy the forums (much like most other people here) so if this video helps even one person I consider my job done! This video shows the product and demonstration of the 1/2" rolled hem attachment and the bias binding attachment, which I use to sew on grosgrain. Enjoy!

Hammock
    GEAUX Hammock
    Tarp
    GEAUX Dry Tarp
    Insulation
    GEAUX Warm UQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Awesome. Consider your job done!! thanks for taking the time to make the video!

Quote Originally Posted by latriper View Post
    Awesome. Consider your job done!! thanks for taking the time to make the video!
    No problem. Much appreciated!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Thanks for the video. Your voice was fine. Looks like you were using a very small stitch length.and there seemed to be a fair amount of thread tension. What was your stitch length?
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Thanks for the video. Your voice was fine. Looks like you were using a very small stitch length.and there seemed to be a fair amount of thread tension. What was your stitch length?
    Yea that is one thing I'm still working with. My stitch length was set at 8 on this machine, but I am using some pretty heavy polyester thread (I think too bulky). I do need to turn down the thread tension now that I look at it, or figure out a way to "loosen 'er up a bit" ha. I'm using a Kenmore 1521 1970's model and it seems like the adjustments aren't very fine as far and tension and stitch length go.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Aside from thread tension, I'm wondering if there is too much presser foot tension that is causing some of the puckering.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images
    Thanks, never heard of this attachment, and will look into it, looks like something that would be useful in many ways!
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk SB Pro Modded
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah9 ZingIt
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/Down TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    Awesome video! Thanks for sharing. I've never heard of this attachment, but I'm definitely going to have to check out out.
    Two heads are good, three are great, but all heads at hammockforums is the best case scenario!

Hammock
    Grand Trunk SB Pro Modded
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah9 ZingIt
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/Down TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    How well does it work on cornering? I imagine that might be a bit of a bear to deal with? I see Amazon has them, as well as a local sewing show, so I'm definitely thinking of getting one, but I'm just curious it can only be used on straight edges, or if/how well it works on corners?
    Two heads are good, three are great, but all heads at hammockforums is the best case scenario!

Hammock
    11.5ft DIY hammock
    Tarp
    DIY winter tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS Apex UG/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    @Kpi890,

[x] nice and helpful video! I say thank you!

[x] Janome Rotary Even Foot Set is expensive - too expensive for me! (54€ or 70$ - I would get almost a whole Hammock for this price)

[x] Janome has also another bias tape binder foot. I could buy this snap in foot on Ebay for ~ €14. This is borderline for me. I have this foot still on my watch list. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e91oM00_L28

[x] I like your caterpillar (roller) foot. But the cheaper and similar solution for me would be to use my walking foot (I have it already!) together with self-made attachments which could also be mounted on my needle plate.

[x] Your needle thread tension was imo too high. If you use a heavy polyester thread it could be, that you have to loosen your bobbin tension also a bit.

(I adjust my needle tension always corresponding to fabric strength and bobbin tension corresponding to thread strength. I check always my bobbin tension if I use another thread. This works best with my machine and the cone stand solution I use. But your machine is different.)
    Last edited by xxl_hanger; 03-03-2015 at 07:34.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast