Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Images
    It's gonna be hard to hang at any of the campsites....
    If you do a base camp and you want to do mostly chisos, then reserve some of the car camping sites up in the chisos. http://www.nps.gov/bibe/parknews/upl...Basin_2007.pdf

The cottonwoods is a decent drive from there....The park is the size of rhode island...
    Scott

"Man is a stream whose source is hidden."
    RWE

Hammock
    WBBB, Switchback 1.9 SL & 1.9 DL
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings
    That's a tough call. Assuming Chisos Basin campground is not suitable for hammocks, Rio Grande Village is closer than Cottonwood but more crowded. I checked the online reservations for availability.

RGV - They allow a max of 8 people / campsite and their online reservations show several locations where adjacent campsites are available, $14/night/site. They show no availability for the group camp sites. Approx 30 mi (paved) from Chisos Basin

Cottonwood - Group campsite A is available Mar 5 - 7. Min 9 people, Max 25 people. $27/night. Approx 38 mi from Chisos Basin.
    Last edited by Scottybdiving; 01-01-2010 at 13:54.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottybdiving View Post
    Cottonwood - Group campsite A is available Mar 5 - 7. Min 9 people, Max 25 people. $27/night. Approx 38 mi from Chisos Basin.
    That sounds like us, especially if it has trees... only 8 mile difference. Scotty, do you mind reserving it and taking a collection?

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    WBBB, Switchback 1.9 SL & 1.9 DL
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings
    Quote Originally Posted by schrochem View Post
    It's gonna be hard to hang at any of the campsites....
    If you do a base camp and you want to do mostly chisos, then reserve some of the car camping sites up in the chisos. http://www.nps.gov/bibe/parknews/upl...Basin_2007.pdf

The cottonwoods is a decent drive from there....The park is the size of rhode island...
    I have been to RGV several times but never camped there. I remember trees but certainly was not looking for places to hang a hammock. If this is the case, another means of hanging a hammock may be necessary, but that opens a whole other range of possibilities.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    So, what if we have a bunch of hammock stands and other devices for treeless hangs? Where would base camp be if that's the case?
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Images
    Hammock camping out there with several people is going to require stands. If you look at the pics on the bbnp website, you'll see that there are trees (cotonwoods) but they are pretty spread out. http://www.nps.gov/bibe/planyourvisit/campgrounds.htm

FYI, right next to panther junction is a place to gas and ice. RGV might be closed that time of year and cottonwood has no services down there. I mention this because you can go through some gas pretty quick....
    Study Butte (pronounced stoody butte) has full services and some restaraunts, etc. The gas at panther might be a little more than study butte but last vist, the gas north in marathon (pronounced marethon) was more expensive than panther junction.
    If y'all have time you should go over to terlingua ghost town. Go have a beer on the porch (go around 5 or 6 to meet some locals), then go to the starlite for some dinner.

I was supposed to be out there right now.....all this talk has me yearning.....but I had to move!!!
    Scott

RWE

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    So, what if we have a bunch of hammock stands and other devices for treeless hangs? Where would base camp be if that's the case?
    There is more room to spread out at cottonwood and RGV.
    They are little more crammed in the chisos.
    Scott

RWE

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Man, we need to spend more time in Big Bend...

Hey, all you Big Bend Bus Riders! [HikingShoes, Skippy, Hedcase, Angrysparrow, BigBamaGuy and Guest] Chime in if you can take a couple of more days off to lengthen the weekend. We need time to travel, but we also need more time to be there!

- MacEntyre

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    my only hammock! ENO double
    Tarp
    my only tarp ENO
    Insulation
    Have no Idea
    Suspension
    Ratchet straps
    No good on time Mac, I would need to get back! If you guys want to spend more time thats fine. I could still take a vehicle and let someone ride with me to keep people as comfortable as possible, at least on the way out there! If I travel by myself I might fly to Midland!! Question: Is everybody basecamping, or is anybody backpacking? Was thinking of spending at least one night at one of the camps in the chisos!

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    ...I'm happy to lengthen the weekend a few days.

Affirmative on the desire to backpack there at least one night.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

• + New Posts
  • Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast