Hammeck Netty, SLD Lair
    Tarp
    Zpack
    Insulation
    EE TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ hooks

Smoky's: Hanging and shelters

I've spent a good amount of time in the GSMNP - all of it on the ground under a tarp. It's then easy to go right into shelters since I have a pad and ground sheet with me. I'm planning a 50 mile loop this spring that will require staying at a few shelters. I know the official rules.

My question is - does anyone have any recent experience using hammocks around the shelter sites? Any advice?
    --- Bill ---

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty, SLD Lair
    Tarp
    Zpack
    Insulation
    EE TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ hooks
    Sorry - I wasn't paying attention. I should have posted this in Trip Planning. Mods, please move.
    --- Bill ---

Hammock
    11'x72" 1.6 HyperD XL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    APEX TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    From the Rules and Regulations printed on the GSMNP official trail map.
    http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisi...omplete4-2.pdf

6. Use of tents and hammocks at shelters is prohibited. They may not be used inside or attached to shelters. Tents may only be used within designated campsites. Hammocks may be used at campsites as long as wide or tree saver straps are used and they are set up in areas where vegetation will not be trampled.

Since it is against park rules to use hammocks in any way at the shelters, it is also against the forum rules to discuss breaking the park's rules.

I have seen people set up their hammocks in the shelters before, but this takes up what limited space is already available and generally makes people angry. I have also seen people "stealth" camp in their hammocks away from the shelters. Both are against the park rules. If we wish to engender good will towards hammockers, I would recommend obeying the park rules.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    LLG-Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    If the shelter is full, you can tent/hammock next to the shelter. Hang out, cook dinner and the shelter will be full....
    Last edited by Flounder; 03-04-2015 at 10:28. Reason: spelling

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty, SLD Lair
    Tarp
    Zpack
    Insulation
    EE TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
    If the shelter is full, you can tent/hammock next to the shelter. Hang out, cool dinner and the shelter will be full....
    Thanks Flounder. That's what the ranger told me on the phone yesterday. That time of year the shelters will be full of thru-hikers. She said to "procrastinate" until the the shelter was full and then camp nearby. Officially the ones to move out of the shelter are to be the thru hikers; however, she said that is not enforced.

mad goat - like I said - "I know the rules", but thanks for the policing. I was just looking for some real world advice - not planning a conspiracy. According to the ranger, it is not "against park rules to use hammocks in any way at the shelters" once in an over-flow condition.
    Last edited by billygoat; 03-04-2015 at 09:57.
    --- Bill ---

Hammock
    11'x72" 1.6 HyperD XL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    APEX TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Billy Goat and Flounder,

I would be careful going on what the ranger told you, because that is not what their regulations actually say. If you are a thru-hiker and have a valid thru hiker's permit (start 50 miles outside of the park, hike the AT through the park, and end 50 miles outside of the park) you are allowed to pitch a tent or hammock at the shelters as long as the shelter is full. The hammock is not allowed to be supported in any way by the shelter. Otherwise, the park rules state that you have to sleep in the shelter. If the shelter is full, then a thru-hiker has to give up their space for you to sleep in, and they have to pitch their tent.... or everybody has to scoot in a little closer.

The ranger you talked to on the phone is probably not going to be the same ranger that might (highly unlikely, but might) show up at the shelter to enforce the park rules.

Honestly, I'm not trying to be an annoying forum troll rules lawyer person. But I have spent a lot of time in the smokies and have heard a lot of stories from other hikers.

Due to the odd rules at the shelters, I typically try to avoid them so I can hang in my hammock. Especially in thru-hiker season. It's lots of fun to hang out and chat with all of them.... but I prefer a little more solitude.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    Yeti, Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    I agree with "mad goat". If you do camp outside the shelter, be prepared to "pay a fine" and do not argue with the ranger. Also, this action will reflect negatively on all hammock hangers.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx/burrow
    Suspension
    Woopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mad goat View Post
    Billy Goat and Flounder,

I would be careful going on what the ranger told you, because that is not what their regulations actually say. If you are a thru-hiker and have a valid thru hiker's permit (start 50 miles outside of the park, hike the AT through the park, and end 50 miles outside of the park) you are allowed to pitch a tent or hammock at the shelters as long as the shelter is full. The hammock is not allowed to be supported in any way by the shelter. Otherwise, the park rules state that you have to sleep in the shelter. If the shelter is full, then a thru-hiker has to give up their space for you to sleep in, and they have to pitch their tent.... or everybody has to scoot in a little closer.

The ranger you talked to on the phone is probably not going to be the same ranger that might (highly unlikely, but might) show up at the shelter to enforce the park rules.

Honestly, I'm not trying to be an annoying forum troll rules lawyer person. But I have spent a lot of time in the smokies and have heard a lot of stories from other hikers.

Due to the odd rules at the shelters, I typically try to avoid them so I can hang in my hammock. Especially in thru-hiker season. It's lots of fun to hang out and chat with all of them.... but I prefer a little more solitude.
    I don't like the rules myself, but probably best to heed this advice.

Quote Originally Posted by billygoat View Post
    I've spent a good amount of time in the GSMNP - all of it on the ground under a tarp. It's then easy to go right into shelters since I have a pad and ground sheet with me. I'm planning a 50 mile loop this spring that will require staying at a few shelters. I know the official rules.

My question is - does anyone have any recent experience using hammocks around the shelter sites? Any advice?
    If you are doing a 50 mile loop you are not considered a thru hiker, therefore if you plan staying at the shelters you will have a general camping permit and not a thru camping permit. You are required by GSMNP rules to stay in a shelter if there is one at the site of your days end. If they fill up and there are any thru hikers there they are required to tent and give up their space to someone holding a general camping permit. I think that 4 spots are saved for thru hikers. The ranger you spoke with gave you some misinformation if you are indeed using a general camping permit. She may have thought that you were a thru hiker.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty, SLD Lair
    Tarp
    Zpack
    Insulation
    EE TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ hooks
    Yep, thanks for all the great advice. I'm altering my itinerary to allow me to hit shelters around late afternoon, do a little socializing, cook dinner. Then I'll hit a back-country campsite to hang. It will add some miles each day, (and some ridiculous elevation changes), but will avoid any hassles. I typically don't head into the back country looking for a headache - rather to escape them. Thanks again.
    --- Bill ---

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast