Another sewing machine replacement...

First of all, if this is better suited for the "Other gear and DIY," please move. Apologies in advance.

So, I enjoyed fixing up my Kenmore and getting it sewing, with your help. I'm wondering if anyone can help out on my next project.

I was given my mom's old sewing machine. It's been sitting around even longer than the last one, feels totally gummed up, and will need a total break down. Since my current machine is working well, I'll be more comfortable taking the risk of completely breaking this thing down, since it's old, nobody wants it, and it's worth little. But if I fixed it up it could be a decent machine, I think.

The problem is, it's missing the bobbin case. The part number is 63963, and the sewing machine is a Kenmore 158.1255180. The only place I can find a replacement is on Alibaba.com, if I want to pay a chinese manufacturer to make and send me 50 of them...not something I'm going to do. I've tried sears parts direct, google, and ebay, but it's out of stock everywhere.

Any thoughts? Perhaps an equivalent part that would work?

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    They appear to be out there...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BOBBIN-CASE-...item35e502390e

http://www.sewingmachineparts.net/bobbin_cases.html

http://www.sew4less.com/product_deta...e87c8df60cccb1

Quote Originally Posted by booone0 View Post
    ...It's been sitting around even longer than the last one, feels totally gummed up, and will need a total break down....
    FWIW...I've resorted several 'frozen up' sewing machines and have rarely had to do much disassembly. The exceptions have been the motor/gear housing on Singer15-91/201's and the 'automatica' mechanism on a Necchi Supernova.

You can usually get to the gummed up points and apply a drop or two of ISO alcohol or odorless kerosene (repeat over a few days if required) to free things up. Taking more pieces apart than necessary without the proper service manuals, specialized gauges etc. is likely to create more problems.

Thanks! It's actually not the bobbin case..wrong term. It's the bobbin holder (I believe that's the right term), the cylindrical metal piece you drop the bobbin into.

I will email that guy and see if he's got the part actually in stock. Thank you for finding it, I was unable!

As far as disassembly... you're right, "total break down" was again the wrong term. What I plan on doing is exactly what you described, which is a little more extensive than what I did for my current machine.

Hammock
    11.5ft DIY hammock
    Tarp
    DIY winter tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS Apex UG/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    Can't help. There is at least a picture and a short list of compatible machines.
    http://www.smscanada.com/viewproduct.php?ID=8619
    and here I found a manual:
    http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...d=&documentId=
    I would contact sears or searspartsdirect. Perhaps they can help. Maybe a certain old Janome bobbin case fits.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    In the US Sears no longer has a parts or repair division. Even the major appliance repairs are contracted out to local repair folks. Been that way for ages. I would go to the longest existing sewing machine repair shop in the area and ask them to sort through their spare parts. You might find something that will work.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts