Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear

About That Spine...

I've been sleeping at home in a Speer, which I'm very happy with, save one beef: that rigid spine down the middle where my feet need to go.

I like to sleep on a bit of a diagonal, but the "foot pocket" that is formed when I do is pretty cramped, and I end up with what one other poster has referred to as a "hot spot" on one or both heels. I've played around with the sag, and don't seem to get any relief.

Is there anything to be done to ease this a bit, or do I need (the shame!) to buy a larger hammock, like an ENO DN?
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    What about a structural ridgeline to set lots of sag?

Other than that, you could re-whip one or both ends, and don't pull the edges as taut as Speer does. That would open up the fabric quite a bit.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Images
    I have heard of but never had this particular problem. The only problem I have to fight in gathered end hammocks is calf pressure caused by the foot end center ridge with a diagonal lie. But have you already tried elevating the foot end, or if you have elevating it some more? Just guessing here, but maybe that would put less pressure on the heels by causing a weight shift to the head?

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    My heels end up pushing against each other...picture a vee, with two balls wedged against each other.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Insulation
    CCF pad (for now)
    Suspension
    Ring Buckle
    Images
    I usually cross my legs in i guess a figure 4, so ive never had that problem... I would tr another position, but Ive never slept in, lain in, or even seen a speer hammock so take that with a pinch of salt

-CS
    Quote Originally Posted by RamblinRev
    I think such as drastic move as to commandeer Easter candy over a discrediting of the Easter Buny is too extreme.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I have experienced this but I have resoved it my increasing the sag in the hang. I have a 120" fabric home sleeper but my ridgeline is only 100". That amount of sag gives me a lot of fabric to flatten out and displace. Even 1" of shift in the ridgeline makes a difference in how that feels. Trying more sag than you think is even reasonable. You can always hang it tighter if it doesn;t work.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts