ENO DN w/ridgeline
    Tarp
    MacCat D/Warbonnet
    Insulation
    JRB HR&ORM U/TQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopie AiO/DR+TH
    Images

My first deep winter hang: The case for natural fibers and my own lessons learned

I went out last weekend on my first Winter hang. I was very excited, but still a LOT nervous. It was a car camping trip to Fish Creek Pond in Saranac, NY, so I took as much gear as I could possibly fit in my truck. The weather on Saturday to Sunday was a high of 17*F and a low of -22*F. I was quite impressed with the performance of my gear, but I also learned/confirmed a LOT of valuable lessons.

BLUF: Per MacEntyre's "Technical Note on Canvas for Extreme Cold". http://www.mollymacpack.com/canvaswhy.html, natural fibers are KING!

Set up: I had my Eno DN; JRB Old Rag Mtn UQ paired with a Hudson River (overstuff) UQ; Hudson River TQ; MacEntyre Breathable Nylon Hammock Sock with SEEP, a wool blanket for condensation catcher inside the hammock sock; Maccat Delux Tarp.

image1.jpg
    I dug a revetted pit to help block the wind, with a cold sink at the lowest part of the slope. The set up worked well and the hammock sock made a big difference. At some time around 3:30am when the temps bottomed out, I noticed my condensation catcher (wool blanket) was soaked and the inside of my hammock sock was too (as expected). I tossed them off thinking that it would help prevent me from getting colder due to saturation. Boy was I wrong!

I had been fairly warm all night. If I stayed in one spot, the coldest part of me was a small patch on my butt (point of most compression?). However, once I threw off the hammock sock, I was noticeably colder all over, no matter what I did. So, I eventually had to get out of the rig and put the sock back on. Once I did this, everything warmed back up considerably, despite the fabric being more than a little damp. It really did help to create enough of a "micro climate" to take the "edge" off of the cold. To give you an idea; if I had my hands uncovered for more than 15 seconds, they started to physically hurt!

One thing I did notice was that at such low temperatures, the hammock itself becomes an obstacle to keeping warm. Like I said, if I stayed in one spot I was fine, but if I moved at all and touched a new part of the hammock, the material needed to be warmed due to the cold transferring from the exposed material. Do this enough, and I started losing heat (conduction) faster than I could produce it...net effect is that I began to develop a deficit in body heat.

Lesson 1: Things take WAY longer and more engergy to do in the cold weather than they do during normal 3 season backpacking!

Lesson 2: I need to switch to natural fibers for both clothing and my hammock sock at sub 20*F weather. My $200 climashield jacket under my Gore-tex parka had developed ice buildup while just standing around the fire, and I steadily got colder as the night went on. However, my $5 wool gloves and $20 wool hat kept my hands and head toasty warm, despite being soaked through. I see a wool capote and canvas anorak in my future. By morning, the SEEP of my synthetic hammock sock was frozen almost stiff due to the fabric being unable to breath at such low temps. I have little doubt that a canvas hammock sock would have helped reduce the level of condensation buid up.

Lesson 3: I need to find something that is going to do a better job at creating a tighter "micro climate" around the entire length of my hammock fabric. I'm thinking a Speer Pea Pod is the ticket. I plan on getting one and using it with both a JRB quilt and a canvas hammock sock to achieve the effect/comfort I want while reducing condensation buildup.

Lesson 4: My tarp configuration did little more than to trap condensation and increase humidity all around me. I need to ditch the enclosed tarp configuration and go with more of a wind block or baker shelter configuration. My tarp configuration at those temps simply created another "collection point" for the water vapor to condense.

Lesson 5: My investment in down products (JRB TQ/UQs, JRB Hood Kit, JRB Sleeves, and LL Bean Vest) more than paid for themselves, and were crucial components of my sleep system at such low temps. Without them, I think the night would have been MUCH less enjoyable!

Even with all my issues, I still made it through a brutal night and was much warmer than 90% of the people we were camping with. I now have an experiential baseline to judge from, rather than my own simple theory and can work to further increase my margin of safety and comfort.

I’m sure Moll Mac and Tree to Tree Trail Gear will be getting several orders from me soon. I may also look into canvas hot tenting with a Ti wood stove to increase the comfort factor and provide a more efficient means to stay warm with less fuel...we burned a LOT of wood Saturday night.

Sunday morning on the lake and a much deserved cup of coffee!

image3.jpg
    Last edited by Mickey.223; 03-05-2015 at 13:03. Reason: formatting

Hammock
    Dutch Argon 11'
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah
    Insulation
    JRB GL3 + REI bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    Images
    thank you for sharing. looks like a very memorable trip. After a few more years of 3 season hanging, I plan on pushing my buddy to try out snow shoe camping. For now, its a backyard hang.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk SB Pro Modded
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah9 ZingIt
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/Down TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    Beautiful! Here in Alabama we don't get much snow (although we did get around 9"-10" last week, which was gone the next day). But I thought, when we had the snow, that it would awesome to be hanging in the snow! Hopefully someday I'll get to do that! Thanks for sharing!
    Two heads are good, three are great, but all heads at hammockforums is the best case scenario!

Images
    Nice writeup Mickey thanks for sharing the lessons learned.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Great report and lessons learned and the pictures were awsome
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    A most excellent report Mickey!
    Thank you for documenting those valuable lessons!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    2 Blackbird XLC 1.7 DL SL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IncubatorSniveller
    Suspension
    Standard Warbonnet
    Thanks for the trip report and lessons learned. I haven't had much experience hanging at temps like you describe. It sounds like a whole new experience not to be underestimated. Pics look great, particularly the Sunday morning cup of coffee.

Hammock
    Dutch Half Zip
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Greylock 3/HG Econ
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    Very cool. Sounds like a great learning experience.

Hammock
    ENO DN w/ridgeline
    Tarp
    MacCat D/Warbonnet
    Insulation
    JRB HR&ORM U/TQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopie AiO/DR+TH
    Images
    Thanks guys. It was a great trip. I recognize the fact that MANY people go out and winter hang with the stated TQ/UQ configuration and have no issues. This was just my experience at those specific temperatures. I'll have to try a couple of more hangs in varying winter temps to reverify the baseline experience and then make incremental changes. Another thing I'm going to add to the mix is the breath catcher that Shug came up with. I absolutely had built up some ice on my TQ by the morning.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Every time
    Thanks for publishing your experience in a concise, readable way. Great lessons learned - especially about the natural fabrics and down insulation. I picked up a cotton parka that I've come to really love in the deep cold. Worn over some wool layers you experience no internal frost buildup no matter your level of exertion. Pretty amazing.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/produ...arka?a=1781357

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast