Tarp
    MacCat Custom Spin
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ/Nunatak TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

WBBB and Eastern Screech-Owl

I was on the Long Trail for the past few days and last night had an unusual experience. On the north shore of Stratton Pond I set the Warbonnet up (using the new Dutch clips), had dinner, and around dusk was about to climb into the WB when I noticed that there was an Eastern Screech-Owl perched on the first limb above where the foot of the hammock was attached. I was about four feet away and eventually got within three feet before it moved to where the head end was attached. I've never been this close to an owl before and can only figure that it was interested in or curious about the Warbonnet BB.

With good weather expected I hadn't put up the tarp and I spent the time before I went to sleep looking up for the owl and the expected noise, but it remained quiet throughout the night. About 4 AM I was awakened by the sound of an unknown animal making it's last scream. I hate that sound since it's so obvious that it was the victim's last.

I camped on far side of the pond in photo below, just beyond where the pole on the left is. Carrying MLD Revelation pack and using Gossamer Gear Lightrek 4 poles.

Last edited by Quoddy; 09-19-2009 at 07:24.
    I my Warbonnet

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    We have had a family of screech owls perching on our Birch tree off our front porch this summer. They "trill" every now and then, and are so fun to watch. Cute little things.

That scream you heard was sustenance for something else.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    Cool tale! I've had birds perch on my ridge line with me underneath, but nothing so fine as an owl.

I've also heard strange screams at night back home in Virginia, almost like a baby stuck with a diaper pin. (dating myself!) Turned out it was a local fox. I had no idea they made that kind of noise.
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    What a cool backwoods gift!
    And kinda harrowing......
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    I woke up in my hammock one morning, having slept on a ridge in the Birkhead Wilderness. It was cool, dry weather so no bugnet and no tarp. As soon as I opened my eyes and looked up, a hawk soared over the ridge and landed in the tree above the foot of my hammock. He glared down at me for several minutes, as though he wondered what in the world this thing was doing here. He flew off, so I arose.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I love listening to owls in the woods! I was once lucky enough to be camped in a place that was apparently used as a town hall of sorts by the owls in the area. It was a large open glade surrounded by thick trees. From all different directions came their voices and each voice was quite unique. It was one of my most favorite experiences. Although, I don't think they were talking about my Warbonnet. About ten minutes after they quit talking it started raining like crazy. I think I was listening to a weather report.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    I love that part of being out in the woods, getting to witness up close real nature. And I want so much to be able to share that with my kids. So much of what we see in suburban life these days is watered down nature, like taking your kids to the zoo to see deer. (just not the same) A few years back I was camped in a more out of the way spot in the Sawtooths and had a Doe and Fawn come right into camp, 10 foot away and just hand out for the night and the next day till we packed up. They were just curious about us and we were in their woods, but it was just cool to get to be so close to animals that usually run off at the sight of people. Owls are so neat to watch, very cool story.

Paul
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Just last week I was sitting down eating at camp and a hawk swooped down and plucked a squirrel out of a tree close by.

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pizza View Post
    Just last week I was sitting down eating at camp and a hawk swooped down and plucked a squirrel out of a tree close by.
    Had a similar experience at home. Was working in the yard when I heard a squirrel shriek. I looked up to see a hawk flying low down the street, with a furry tail twitching behind...

Also came home once to find red stuff all over a large-ish window by the patio, and I figured one of the local kids had gotten frisky tossing old fruit at the window. When I went out to clean it up, I realized that it was more protein and fat than veggie carbs. It dawned on me that the local hawk probably made a dive run toward the platform bird feeder, and pulled up toward the sky reflected in the window... Smack! regurgitation... We'd seen it make a pass at the feeder in the past.

Then there were the deer across the street, feeding on a neighbor's bushes, close to the road...

Fun times in the heart of the D.C. suburbs!
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

Senior Member Carolinahammockhanger's Avatar
    Hammock
    ENO Singlenest w/ bugnet
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Ridgerest
    Images
    The other night while camping near Mt Rogers I watched a deer as it slowly came closer and closer to my hammock. It was at the base of my tarp. Something spooked it and as it took off it tripped on my guyout line for my tarp!. My OES tarp was fine as all it did was pull the stake out of the ground.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast