Warbonnet Blackbird
    Insulation
    CCF pad (for now)
    Suspension
    Ring Buckle
    Images

Military Surplus pad temperature?

Hey,

I have a quasi backpacking trip coming up in about 2 weeks and the low is about 50 degrees. Would just one CCF pad take me down this low?

Thanks

-CS
    Quote Originally Posted by RamblinRev
    I think such as drastic move as to commandeer Easter candy over a discrediting of the Easter Buny is too extreme.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    What thickness?

Most of the surplus pads I've seen are 3/8", which should be good to around freezing for most people.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    It would for me ...

Hammock
    WBBB,Claytor JH
    Tarp
    Claytor D, WB Hex
    Insulation
    Ptarm/Incub/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I went to 52 deg Sat night (No wind) in my WBBB dbl layer w/ 1/4" WW Blue pad cut 29" wide at top, 6 foot long, 20" at bottem. Cut acute angles above and below hips for "Anti-bunching" per WBG (Duct taped top of angle to keep from tearing) Angle foot of pad into footbox. My bag was rated 15 deg mummy that I used as a TQ (Top Quilt). Wore Med layer Polyprop shirt also and was too toasty especially at first, just right when got colder... Only reservation about using pads is pad will shift if you turn a lot and decrease in comfort.
    If wind is a factor, how about a poncho as an UQ? I will use a JRB Dri-Duck w/ mod for that scenario in the future.
    "Take me away to a quiet place where beings melt into inner space. Every step brings me closer to see, my haven away beneath the trees." From Beneath the Trees by Everett Dort

Hammock
    WBBB,Claytor JH
    Tarp
    Claytor D, WB Hex
    Insulation
    Ptarm/Incub/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Because the WBBB footbox is angled to the Rt a little, a straight 6' pad is not optimal. Next time I will cut it off at the knee level at 20-30 deg angle to make that transition easier. This could be two completely separate pieces or you can duct tape, gorilla glue, and/or velcro togther also if you like the set-up. I have not read anyone mention this in my reading but I am still learning myself... Have used 20" and 24" Milspec pads and they do insulate well but are Not very pliant to bends at all. I think those pads would benefit most by this procedure in a BB. My shoulders are 21" across so there Will be a coldspot for me laterally in the 20" width. That's why Speer sells the SPE w/ choice of 4 or 8, 5" Wings. This system does overcome this problem, but is not a good solution for a BB IMO unless cut off at the knees and separate pad used in the footbox.
    "Take me away to a quiet place where beings melt into inner space. Every step brings me closer to see, my haven away beneath the trees." From Beneath the Trees by Everett Dort

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Insulation
    CCF pad (for now)
    Suspension
    Ring Buckle
    Images
    can you post pictures of your pad? Im very curious as to the "anti-bunching" cuts, and how your pad is cut in general

-CS
    Quote Originally Posted by RamblinRev
    I think such as drastic move as to commandeer Easter candy over a discrediting of the Easter Buny is too extreme.

Hammock
    WBBB,Claytor JH
    Tarp
    Claytor D, WB Hex
    Insulation
    Ptarm/Incub/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Sorry, I haven't had the inservice on how to post pics on threads yet. In the meantime:

Have someone trace your shape on to the CCF while laying on top of it. (This assumes you have at least 24" wide CCF.) Cut out the outline with some heavy duty scissors leaving 2-3 inches excess around your shape. Mark 3 inches above hip and 3 inches below hip. This is where you cut deep, narrow (Acute angles) wedges out. WBG (Warbonnet Guy) suggests making deep cuts (I started with 8") increasing the acute angle until bunching disappears. If the pad is too short, make sure the shoulders are on there at least down to the knee. If it goes past the knee cut there and put excess in the footbox. Cut the footbox foam to taper to 20 inches. This will get you by until you have more time to tweek. (Making the upper/lower pads meet parallel.) Remember to reinforce height of the wedges with duct tape to prevent tearing after the cuts are final.
    Your pillow will supply enough insulation to keep head/neck warm.

Check out the thread Cutting Pad to Fit on pad forum, That's where I got my info from...
    Additional info on SPE pads can be seen on www.SpeerHammocks.com

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by climberslacker View Post
    Hey,

I have a quasi backpacking trip coming up in about 2 weeks and the low is about 50 degrees. Would just one CCF pad take me down this low?

Thanks

-CS
    i have been down to 8.6 degrees in mine no problem for me,but it might not work for youneo
    the matrix has you

• + New Posts