Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images

Need Advice for Franconia Notch Camping

Hi guys, hoping you can help me out. I scheduled a Meetup group hut-to-hut of the southern Whites this summer. We need a place to camp out near Lafayette for a Saturday night only (we will be staging our car shuttle that evening to start first thing up trail Sunday morning). Problem is, everything I found is for 3 night minimum, except for Russell Pond, which doesn't take reservations.

Does anyone from the area have any ideas?

Thanks!
    Demeter's Video Channel

Demeter's Blog

"What is a weed? A plant who's virtues have not yet been discovered" ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Draumr or Sierra Madre
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    lots of down
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Russell Pond has so many spots I'd be shocked if it were full. I've gone on Memorial and Labor Day weekends and gotten spots.
    Megan
    In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer. [Albert Camus]

Hammock
    Draumr or Sierra Madre
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    lots of down
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images

Need Advice for Franconia Notch Camping

Also, What about Campton Campground? That's off of exit 28 towards WAtervilke Valley. I've stayed there in a pinch too.
    I've camped at most every campground in the Whites except for Lafayette itself (no dogs) and Russell Pond is the nicest.
    Last edited by sunshower; 03-08-2015 at 22:15. Reason: added
    Megan
    In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer. [Albert Camus]

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Have you spoken with the AMC?

As much as they aggravate folks with policies and fees and "quirky" (to be nice) web site reservation system for dealing with the masses, when I had an acute hut reservation problem August before last, the higher-ups came through like understanding angels for me.

So, I'd say in spite of their reputation to many, don't give up on them. (Not saying you have.)
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite, BMBH UL
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sunshower View Post
    Russell Pond has so many spots I'd be shocked if it were full. I've gone on Memorial and Labor Day weekends and gotten spots.
    If it was just me, I would take my chances. I have about 15 ppl driving from DC, so don't want to worry about that many people getting a site. I will let them know, though!

Quote Originally Posted by sunshower View Post
    Also, What about Campton Campground? That's off of exit 28 towards WAtervilke Valley. I've stayed there in a pinch too.
    I've camped at most every campground in the Whites except for Lafayette itself (no dogs) and Russell Pond is the nicest.
    Campton may work! Thanks for the info. only 20 minutes from the trailhead, and only a 2 night minimum. For that price, we can afford to lose a night!

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Have you spoken with the AMC?

As much as they aggravate folks with policies and fees and "quirky" (to be nice) web site reservation system for dealing with the masses, when I had an acute hut reservation problem August before last, the higher-ups came through like understanding angels for me.

So, I'd say in spite of their reputation to many, don't give up on them. (Not saying you have.)
    Rain Man, we have AMC reservations Sunday and Monday at the huts, but they don't run the campground at Franconia Notch (unless I am missing something): Lafayette campground is a state park campground.
    Demeter's Video Channel

Demeter's Blog

"What is a weed? A plant who's virtues have not yet been discovered" ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    ENO double Nest
    Tarp
    House Fly
    Insulation
    ember quilt
    Suspension
    Atlas XL
    What are you looking for for facilities. I live 40 minutes from there and can make some calls. Know plenty of people with fields. And land. When is the trip planned

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite, BMBH UL
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sclboud View Post
    What are you looking for for facilities. I live 40 minutes from there and can make some calls. Know plenty of people with fields. And land. When is the trip planned
    Sclboud, Very very kind of you. I already have a hotel room booked in Lincoln (traveling with my family), so there are 13 others. I don't know, however, what they are looking for in terms of lodging, since I left the ball in their court to procure lodging at this point. Some people need facilities. Strange, I know, since it's a backpacking group, but this is one of those trips that can offer bathrooms and beds at the top of the mountain, so we have others besides hardcore backpackers signing up (like my dad! )

Thanks so much for the offer!
    Demeter's Video Channel

Demeter's Blog

• + New Posts