Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    dyi
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Varies
    We have used both the #3 and #5. I like the #5 for garments it has big teeth.

The #3 is lighter, and not so large, I feel like the #5 is overkill for a sock or overcover. However, I think it comes down to a matter of taste and the fabric of choice, I would not put the larger zipper on really light weight fabric.

When we were researching zippers, DIY Gear Supply, was very competitive and we know we will get what we order in a speedy manner. The coil zippers are reasonably tough, so you really do not need a big old zipper. Plus I think the #3 would be a bit less prone to water seeping in during a storm or heavy mist.
    Last edited by ironfish77; 03-10-2015 at 23:46.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    I use #3 coil zippers for interchangeable hammock tops (bug net or fabric cover) because coil zippers are "separating" - they come without sliders on them. You have to get the sliders on at least once, and it gets easier with practice. Also, for this type of use, they're only completely removed a couple of times a year.

Hammock
    11.5ft DIY hammock
    Tarp
    DIY winter tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS Apex UG/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    I can't understand why it is so difficult to get a #4 YKK endless coil zipper. YKK has it, even in different colors ,and it would be a great compromise for us.

Another point. I think even a 120" two-way separating zippers would be a bit short for my 11' hammock, even then if I could successfully save 6" at each hammock end.

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    I plan on doing 11' hammocks as well and I think I have an end cap type thing that will work well with a shorter zipper. I might go with a 108" instead of a 120" just to make that idea work better.

Hammock
    11.5ft DIY hammock
    Tarp
    DIY winter tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS Apex UG/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    With very long end caps it could work. But only by hook or crook. I think I will use two endless zippers about 132" long. On each zipper two double pull sliders. I can hopefully unzip my bugnet at the foot end or the head end of my hammock. Then I will use another 132" long zipper, split it and use it as the complement on my top-cover. I think I will have enough zipper remaining to make also a mock hammock with a zipper on both sides. I will complete this project this week. Then I can better imagine how long the end caps should be and how I will make the final edge binding of my hammock.

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    I'm inclined to have longer end caps than shorter. I found it really hard to do anything all the way at the end of my 10' hammock when I used a sock style bug net. So, I really can't picture zipping something all the way to the end of a 11' hammock. My thought would be to have at least a 12" cap at the head end. If you do that at the foot end as well you'd only need a 108" zipper. I would use something along the lines of velcro to fasten the net and cap together. The resulting shape of the net would be like a football with the ends cut off.

Quote Originally Posted by xxl_hanger View Post
    The other problems I see are substantial. How to make a "perfect" zipper installation on a hammock?

1. How to sew the zipper on? I find the solution GrizzAdams showed in this thread currently the best.

2. How to make the edge binding for the zipper and the bugnet? I know only the method Xtrekker showed in one of his viedeos and I wonder whether someone knows how it is done for a bb xlc clone.
    Check out hiking dad's bridge hammock tutorial series on YouTube, he does a good job explaining how to attach the bug net zippers
    ...Tell me no lies, make me a happy man ...

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12