Tarp
    DIY hex or winter
    Insulation
    WL 3/4 UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    Images

Hike in to MAHAA

I am interested in hiking into MAHHA. I am thinking of hitting the trail Wednesday night or Thursday morning, spending Thursday night on the trail and heading into PGFSP on Friday. I'm leaning towards starting in Caledonia State Park, but open to suggestions.
    "Mountains should be climbed with as little effort as possible and without desire. ... To live only for some future goal is shallow. It’s the sides of the mountain that sustain life, not the top. Here's where things grow." - Robert M. Pirsig

Subscribe to my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/PaCampingDad

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    I might be interested in all, or part if I could meet you along the way. I do not know exactly when I can get off work, and probably won't know until a few days before the event.

I hiked that stretch SOBO a few years back. I'll assume if you start at Caledonia you'll probably be hanging near the Birch Run shelter? I know a nice quiet, out of the way site along the Birch Run that I learned from the BR shelter caretaker... IF I remembered to mark it on the GPS!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    I always like hiking South; somehow, it feels like going downhill.

...and as it harm none, do as thou wilt.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite, BMBH UL
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images
    Doogie, I am also pre-hiking, but not sure where I'll be starting. Keep you posted!
    Demeter's Video Channel

Demeter's Blog

"What is a weed? A plant who's virtues have not yet been discovered" ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    Supertarp
    Insulation
    Incubator 30
    Suspension
    Straps :)
    If I can bust loose the days I definitely intend to pre-hike. Are we talking along the AT from the south? (Not that one couldn't hike in from any direction...)
    //
    “Stories set in the Culture in which Things Went Wrong tended to start with humans losing or forgetting or deliberately leaving behind their terminal. It was a conventional opening, the equivalent of straying off the path in the wild woods in one age, or a car breaking down at night on a lonely road in another.”
    ― Iain M. Banks, The Player of Games

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY hex or winter
    Insulation
    WL 3/4 UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Cinema View Post
    If I can bust loose the days I definitely intend to pre-hike. Are we talking along the AT from the south? (Not that one couldn't hike in from any direction...)
    Yes, I hiked in from the North (sobo) last year and from the South (nobo) the year before that. I was thinking of either repeating the hike from Route 30 to PGFNP, or possibly hiking from farther South up to Route 30 or some other point if I could arrange a ride. I do have access to a private parking lot very close to the MAHHA site.
    "Mountains should be climbed with as little effort as possible and without desire. ... To live only for some future goal is shallow. It’s the sides of the mountain that sustain life, not the top. Here's where things grow." - Robert M. Pirsig

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY hex or winter
    Insulation
    WL 3/4 UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    Images
    I guess it's looking like Thursday am leave Caledonia/Route 30 parking lot, Thursday night near Birch Run, Friday hike into PGFSP, set up and find someone to shuttle me to get my car.

TreeBeard, did you look for your GPS coordinates or directions to the camp site you mentioned?

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Slings/straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by doogie View Post
    I guess it's looking like Thursday am leave Caledonia/Route 30 parking lot, Thursday night near Birch Run, Friday hike into PGFSP, set up and find someone to shuttle me to get my car.

TreeBeard, did you look for your GPS coordinates or directions to the camp site you mentioned?
    That's my intent also. See you there....
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    Supertarp
    Insulation
    Incubator 30
    Suspension
    Straps :)
    I'm still firming up my plans but I have spotted the Caledonia State Park entry point mentioned here, looks like 19 ish miles to Pine Grove Furnace, a good distance for Thursday & Friday walkin'. I read there is some parking there. Anyone know if there is parking a bit farther south? Where 233 crosses, maybe? I do see parking at Old Forage Road, mile 1072.3, but that adds a good 10 miles. What's the terrain like over this section? Looks nice. . . .
    //
    “Stories set in the Culture in which Things Went Wrong tended to start with humans losing or forgetting or deliberately leaving behind their terminal. It was a conventional opening, the equivalent of straying off the path in the wild woods in one age, or a car breaking down at night on a lonely road in another.”
    ― Iain M. Banks, The Player of Games

I'm still firming up my plans but I have spotted the Caledonia State Park entry point mentioned here, looks like 19 ish miles to Pine Grove Furnace, a good distance for Thursday & Friday walkin'. I read there is some parking there. Anyone know if there is parking a bit farther south? Where 233 crosses, maybe? I do see parking at Old Forage Road, mile 1072.3, but that adds a good 10 miles. What's the terrain like over this section? Looks nice. . . .
    There is plenty of parking at Caledonia. The hike right out of the park has a very large and steep hill but after that it is not bad, mostly walking the top of mountain.

I believe you can also park at shippensburg road which is close to birch run shelter, at least I think that is the shelter name, someone can hopefully confirm, if you only wanted to hike Friday.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY hex or winter
    Insulation
    WL 3/4 UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    Images
    There is a parking lot that is safe on Route 30. I used it 2 years ago (as have many people) with no issues that I have heard. I would consider going down to Route 233 crossing or Snowy Mountain Road. There isn't any feedback on the safety of those lots and my 2009 guide says "No protection from vandals." for the 233 lot. The Snowy Mountain Road is down a half mile gravel road - this might be an issue getting a ride back to pick up your vehicle. These 2 spots add 4.7 and 5.7 miles of mostly level hiking with a 500 foot descent into Caledonia SP to the first day making it roughly 15 miles to the Birch Run shelter. Going down to Old Forge road adds 9.7 miles with a 1000' climb making it close to 20 miles to Birch Run shelter....I think that is more than I want to do unless I was starting on the trail early in the morning.