Hammock
    DH Sparrow 1.2
    Tarp
    HG DCF Palace
    Insulation
    UGQ Zepplin
    Suspension
    Venum strap Becket
    Count me in! I'll take that Friday off work so I should get there late morning/early afternoon

1) Prefered Sat night camping at Niederhoffer Lake

2) I would like to cache some stuff at the lake, and am willing and able to make that supply run on Friday night.

3. I will be there Friday late morning so I can help with whatever's needed to make the weekend awesome for everyone.

4. What you would be able to volunteer for: A) Friday Night Supply Run to Neiderhoffer (and return to PL8 to sleep), B) Trucking trash out Sunday morning, (What of it will fit in the trunk of my civic)

5. Any camp supplies that you can make available to all including stuff like portable potties, tables, stoves, etc. I have a small assortment of cook kits and stoves that people can use as well as various pieces of insulation kit, though I doubt that will be needed. I also have plenty of camp chairs and coolers. And will bring several gallons of water for myself and those who've run their bottles empty.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by joker52186 View Post
    When is it
    Its in the title:

TX >New Waverly>4th Annual Texas Butt Bake>July 30-Aug 2 2015

On my phone it didnt show it all

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by joker52186 View Post
    On my phone it didnt show it all
    You crazy college kids with your eee-lectronic dee-vices.

GET OFF MY LAWN!

I am not in college

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Sarge is just a grumpy old man, I keep thinking about sawing off one of his legs to count the rings and find out his real age.
    List of Splicing Guides
    Come to the Dark Side...We have cookies.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Just had an idea Sarge. Assuming I get there Thursday as planned, I will walk OUT from neiderhoffer and check the status of the creek for Saturday's hike as a viable water source. That way people can maybe not have to carry QUITE so much water.
    List of Splicing Guides
    Come to the Dark Side...We have cookies.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images

I'm a Worrier--Not a Warrior

OK. I worry. Its my fault, not yours. But----I worry. So to assuage the Worrier Within Me, the following is offered. The structure is more affected by the Sergeant Within Me and the fact that I've been working in an engineering profession for 38 years than by any estimation I may have made regarding your intelligence, character, or whether you voted for a Democrat in the last election.

The purpose of the Texas Butt Bake is to provide a venue to deliver entertainment for and "campfire fellowship" between members of the Texas hammock hanging community in a manner that honors Leave No Trace trail ethics as much as is possible with a large group of people at a primitive but vehicle accessible campsite . It does this by making possible a bounteous repast on a Friday night, which is accompanied by witty reparte, playful banter, and maybe a couple of dirty jokes, followed by a safe but mentally and physically challenging hike of moderate distance to a pleasant but somewhat remote location for a night of even more primitive camping and more campfire fellowship. All participation is entirely voluntary, and the organization is largely ad hoc. It is more of a "Hey, lets go camping" thing than it is a "Guided Trip" thing. Its a car camping trip combined with a backpacking trip. You are in charge of your own good time and safety, and nobody will give you a hard time about either unless it affects the good time or safety of a fellow participant.

With that in mind:

The safest manner in which to conduct the mentally and physically challenging part of the thing is to depart on the Saturday hike as early as possible to avoid hiking in the hottest part of the day. During August in Texas, temperatures are already high at dawn and get worse from there. Therefore, anything that would affect an early departure should be avoided. You should go to bed on Friday night with almost everything you need for the hike on Saturday already packed, and your sleeping ear and shelter arranged to that it can be quickly taken down and packed.

Friday Pot Luck:

Please arrive and begin preparations for whatever food you will be bringing so that dinner can be served at 2000 hours (that's 8 PM for you civilians). This should be a guide as to what you will be bringing. If you know you're going to arrive late, not to worry, just bring your appetite, nobody is going to think bad about you.

Friday Night Supply Run to Neiderhoffer Lake:

This is designed to get as much stuff over to the lake as early as possible so as not to affect the Saturday departure. When you arrive Friday, please have all of this material in a separate box, bag, pack, or protable hydrostatic ion magnetoshpere so that it can be put in the vehicle(s) that will take it over to the lake. What you should have, at minimum, is your food and water for Saturday's lunch and dinner, any snacks you might want or need as well as Sunday's breakfast. This stuff will be taken over to Neiderhoffer after dinner on Friday nite.

Saturday Morning Supply Run to Neiderhoffer:

I'd like to add this to the mix. It will require a person or persons with a vehicle to take everybody's sleep stuff and shelter over to the lake on Saturday morning so that the hikers can slack pack the trail (that means carrying just water and a snack in a small day pack rather than all your gear) as Tom recommended. We need a volunteer with a vehicle that has a fairly large cargo capacity to drive it over to the lake, then sit around napping there until the hikers arrive. I know---but somebody has to do it. Please note what is going to be said below about parking at Neiderhoffer. This vehicle will leave Parking Lot #8 promptly at 0900 (9 AM). If your stuff isn't in it, then you'll have to carry it all, stay at PL#8.

As a courtesy to the volunteer, please keep this stuff to a minimum, Please do not include camp chairs, queen sized matresses, coolers, folding tables, or anything else not typically found at a primitive backpacking campsite. If you want to have a camp chair at Niederhoffer on Saturday, my suggestion would be to bring two of them and put one of them in the Friday Night Supply run vehicle.

I am going to ask that Tom not be this volunteer. His expertise, training, and experience as a combat medic would be better with him hiking with us than waiting for us to drag a corpse to him at the lake to evaluate cause of death.

Parking at Neiderhoffer:

We want to keep the number of vehicles at Niederhoffer to a minimum, both for the reason I previously stated and so as to maximize the areas available for camping near the lake and a campfire with room enough for everybody to sit around it.

What this means is that you may be somewhat inconvenienced on Sunday morning. You'll be at Neiderhoffer and your vehicle will be 4 miles away. We're going to want to have at least 4, but no more than 6 vehicles at Neiderhoffer and the drivers of those vehicles will have to be willing to shuttle back and forth to PL #8 on Sunday morning until everybody has their stuff reunited with their car, and to provide somewhat secure storage for any gear shuttled over there on the supply runs. We need volunteers for this duty, but keep in mind the primary requirement is going to be the ability to transport a number of people a few miles.

Kayaks:

Keep in mind the paragraph above. If you are going to bring a kayak, you should arrive on Thursday or early enough on Friday to get your boat over to Neiderhoffer, unload and secure it, then get back to Parking Lot #8 so that you can be ready for supper at 2000. Keep in mind that the vehicles that will be staged at Niederhoffer will have already been chosen by then. Please do not count on being able to take it over there at any time on Saturday. Keep in mind that it will be pretty much unsecured for all day and all night Friday and until lunch time on Saturday. If you're going to arrive on Thursday, please note the following:

Thursday Arrivals:

What worked well for the Ministry Trip was meeting at PL #8, then convoying over as a group from there. We made the departure time for this at 1600, but that was before daylight savings time and we wanted to make sure that we could get over there before it got too dark. The weekend is a Full Moon weekend and sunset will be a good deal later, so lets say get over to PL #8 by 2000. The road into Niederhoffer can be sketchy in places and there's a turn that is easily missed (we know that b/c more than one person easily missed it), so if you can't make that time, give me or one of the other Thursday arrivals a call so we can either wait for you or give you directions and the gate combination. You should also be prepared to gather a metric poop ton of firewood for the campfires that will be held there. If you arrive at PL#8 and everybody has decamped from there to Niederhoffer, please bite the bullet and camp there and we can guide you over to Niederhoffer Friday morning.

Water

My advice has always been this: If you pack water out, you've brought enough. While the water in the lake is filterable, nothing is preferable to bottled water. Conventional wisdom is to have one gallon per person per day.
    Last edited by sargevining; 03-11-2015 at 13:24.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by humer91 View Post
    Just had an idea Sarge. Assuming I get there Thursday as planned, I will walk OUT from neiderhoffer and check the status of the creek for Saturday's hike as a viable water source. That way people can maybe not have to carry QUITE so much water.
    Excellent idea. I also plan on getting out there sometime in the near future to see if FS223 is accessible and, if so, cache some water where the LST crosses there as well. That should give us water supply at 1/3 points along the trail. We might also want to mark that deer stand where the trail turns, as well as the jeep track crossing where the blue blazes run out.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast