Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Were the two girls in the same hammock?
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kayaknut01 View Post
    ? mom told me I was iresponsible for letting 2 9yr old girls sleep in hammocks. Did not give me her reasoning on why!!!
    Did you ask her why?

I could think of many reasons someone might feel a hammock was irresponsible, whether justified or not....

- the kids are potentially out of your sight, unable to be watched
    - fear of kids falling out of the hammock
    - fear of animals being able to get to them since they aren't enclosed like in a tent
    - fear of trees or branches falling

etc etc etc.

Now whether these individual fears are warranted or not is up to the individual to figure out, but it sounds like you need to communicate with the other parent, rather than asking us. What did SHE think was irresponsible about it??

And honestly, whenever doing anything that isn't "mainstream" you should probably warn the parents in advance and get their OK first. Lots of people don't understand hammocking, and might freak out about the idea - better to inform them up front and answer any questions, rather than let them worry about it after the fact.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    If you didn't let her parents know you were taking their little girl camping, then shame on you.
    If, however, they are just upset about the idea of a hammock, well then:

Trust nobody!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    If you didn't let her parents know you were taking their little girl camping, then shame on you.
    If, however, they are just upset about the idea of a hammock, well then:

Great now that's stuck in my head all day.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Images
    had planned a quick overnighter in a local state park on friday, daughter(9) had plans to ask me if a friend could stay overnight unaware of my plans to take her and her 5 yr old sister out camping, anyways had the friend come with,fully explained that a tent was there in case of very foul weather and for changing But if she needed or wanted she could sleep in the tent weather report was perfect. mid 60's for a low at night. We got back sat afternon. The friends mom picked her up, she explained to mom she spent the night in a hammock, thought it was awesome had awesome time, did the smore's thing.Mind you this kids parents don't take her camping??? mom told me I was iresponsible for letting 2 9yr old girls sleep in hammocks. Did not give me her reasoning on why!!! So could you all maybe shed some light on what she means??? PS.... I was asked by my daughters friend when can she go "hang" again with us and gave me a hug said" thank you " for a great time

Taken at face value the problem is the hammocks and not the camping.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    I have taken my kids friends camping on a number of occasions. Before doing so however I get a medical release form, emergency phone number and explain where and when I will be, what activities we will be engaging in etc.

I also talked about my credentials in 1st aid, water safety and cpr as well. My proactive stance often caught parentsw off guard and I am sure there were a couple of parents who had I simply requested to take their kids camping would have denied permission. By being more proactive I think they realized I was responsible and would keep their kids best interest at heart. In this litigious (sp?) society, it is a good idea to CYA. I have only once had to use a medical release, I was really glad I had it when I needed it. Doctors took immediate action with no question. My local hospital provided the document with no charge as part of a child care training course they were doing.

Just some ideas to make it easier next time.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Based solely on nearly 40 years of dealing with my wife, she will take some (Or NONE) minimal info, it could even be on a totally unrelated topic, & deduce VOLUMES of wrong information "Set in stone" on what ever topic. Be it bugs or hammocks, Smores or snakes. And, no matter what, you do not change her mind. Even if her "Information" about Hammocks is based on hearing something about endangered Gibbons.

I sleep in a hammock every night, my wife has yet to even lay in one.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    There have been recalls issued by the CPSC due to children being strangled in hammocks. I assume these were of the woven, fishnet variety, but I would imagine many folks don't know the difference, or bother to differentiate. In their minds, all hammocks pose a strangulation hazard for children.

That could well be problem, here.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    warbonnet blackbird, eno doublenest
    Tarp
    oes,warbonnet
    Insulation
    yeti/incubator
    Suspension
    whoopie sling AHE
    all very good points, the parent was informed of where her child was at, time we will be home even about when we would be eating dinner, even invited her for some pudgie pies over the fire, the parent even packed the sleeping bag, knowing the daughter would be camping outdoors ,cell phone numbers were exchanged and the kid even called mom twice to "check in" and wish mom a good night. yes I was the only adult male with 3 girls one 5 the other two being 9. the 5 and one of the 9 yr olds were mine. I have met both parents we are all married, had a small cookout during a b-day. going to call her in a bit. they were in separate hammocks!!!
    i do not remember the question, however i believe beer is the answer

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    all very good points, the parent was informed of where her child was at, time we will be home even about when we would be eating dinner, even invited her for some pudgie pies over the fire, the parent even packed the sleeping bag, knowing the daughter would be camping outdoors ,cell phone numbers were exchanged and the kid even called mom twice to "check in" and wish mom a good night. yes I was the only adult male with 3 girls one 5 the other two being 9. the 5 and one of the 9 yr olds were mine. I have met both parents we are all married, had a small cookout during a b-day. going to call her in a bit. they were in separate hammocks!!!
    Sounds like you did everything right.

Guess it's just a matter of educating the uneducated now. Good luck.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast