Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Ultralight "Luxury" Hammock Setup for Art Loeb 2 Night Trip

Hi all,

Planning a trip this April with some friends on the Art Loeb Trail in Pisgah and would love to hear any and all thoughts/advice about this hike, especially related to climatology and any hazards to look out for. Where'd you hop on/off the trail, any literature I can pick up? Maps online?

More importantly, I'm trying to scrape together an ultralight "luxury" hammocking setup, so that includes hammock (I'm 5'8", 155 pounds), suspension (I have limited knot knowledge so I'm told dutch clips are the way to go?), top/underquilt (will I even need either?), sleeping pad, etc. This is all with the intention to lay the groundwork for a setup to build upon for a thru hike on Benton MacKaye this fall and eventually...gasp...the AT.

Pretend money is no object here. My priorities are as follows: quality, comfort, weight, price. I have quite a bit of "heavyweight" ground-dwelling experience so I backpack quite frequently but had a major epiphany and want to devote myself to the Hammock Life! Problem is, I know NOTHING about hammocks and will continue scouring the forum to learn as much as I can. I'm very impressionable, convince me your setup is the best!

Thanks everyone.
    Last edited by Hucksley; 03-11-2015 at 15:34.

• + New Posts