Tarp
    Big MJ & Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti & 2 Wookies
    Suspension
    Stock straps
    Images

Can too much down be a problem???

Central Wisconsin here. I am thinking than if a person used a quilt that was "too warm" for current conditions and then began to sweat/perspire, then the water VAPOR would migrate through the down / actually might not make it all the way through the down, and thus be trapped inside the quilt.

I understand the concept of loosening the UQ a bit, and that is fine if a person is awake. However, I sweat easily, especially while sleeping. Waking up with damp smartwool base layers, cap, and socks seems to say that this vapor migration could be occurring.

Seems that sleeping cooler might be better than being warmer. Thinner down layers might "capture" less moisture.

Therefore, going overboard on down fill amounts, and / or using quilts that are deep winter rated could create problems created by overcautious shopping.

In other words, stay with my three season 20* Yeti, and shiver at 10* . Wake up and exercize if necessary. Only consider a zero UQ if going BELOW zero intentionally...

Has anyone done weight changes in quilts over time / different temps? Still would have individuality differences though.

Appreciate your thoughts on this.
    Last edited by Tumbleweed; 03-11-2015 at 15:48. Reason: finished a thought.

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    In other words, stay with my three season 20* Yeti, and shiver at 10* . Wake up and exercize if necessary. Only consider a zero UQ if going BELOW zero intentionally...
    No, this is downright dangerous. If you don't have proper insulation, don't go out. I've gotten caught out with lower temps than expected. It's miserable, and it drains you significantly, mentally and physically. I was fortunate it was the first night of a trip, and an easy hike back to the car in the morning to bug out.

Also, the warmer it is, the less you need to worry about it, as even if the quilt is compromised some, you sweat wont take it to "zero" insulation. Venting a quilt is pretty easy also, and usually you just need to let off the top quilt, which you should naturally be able to do - it's the same as throwing off or venting cover's in bed.

That said, the advantage of multiple quilt is mostly in weight, and bulk, and not having to fuss with it as much.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I agree there's no point in overinsulating. However, I have used my 0* quilt set in temps up to 70* F and haven't experienced any sweating. Down just doesn't make me sweat. I have no concerns about moisture being trapped in the down. I have also never vented an UQ, ever. If I need venting I'll kick off my TQ.

I have a 40*, 20* and 0* quilt set and usually carry the quilts that keep me about 10* above the quilt rating (i.e., carry the 20* when temps are 30*, carry the 0* when temps are 10*, etc. It's been working for me.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WB XLC, Dutch Netless, HH Exp mod,
    Tarp
    HG WP3, WBSF, HHex
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies, buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I agree there's no point in overinsulating. However, I have used my 0* quilt set in temps up to 70* F and haven't experienced any sweating. Down just doesn't make me sweat. I have no concerns about moisture being trapped in the down. I have also never vented an UQ, ever. If I need venting I'll kick off my TQ.

I have a 40*, 20* and 0* quilt set and usually carry the quilts that keep me about 10* above the quilt rating (i.e., carry the 20* when temps are 30*, carry the 0* when temps are 10*, etc. It's been working for me.
    +1: same equipment, same strategy, same results.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tumbleweed View Post
    Central Wisconsin here. I am thinking than if a person used a quilt that was "too warm" for current conditions and then began to sweat/perspire, then the water VAPOR would migrate through the down / actually might not make it all the way through the down, and thus be trapped inside the quilt.

I understand the concept of loosening the UQ a bit, and that is fine if a person is awake. However, I sweat easily, especially while sleeping. Waking up with damp smartwool base layers, cap, and socks seems to say that this vapor migration could be occurring.

Seems that sleeping cooler might be better than being warmer. Thinner down layers might "capture" less moisture.

Therefore, going overboard on down fill amounts, and / or using quilts that are deep winter rated could create problems created by overcautious shopping...
    I don't agree with the last part about sleeping cooler, and having a quilt rated at expected temps or higher. I rarely get near zero in my zero, and my experience with my zero is that I had no problems at 50. But I don't sweat a lot, and I know some do.

In general, I think its a good idea to match your quilt with what you're expecting temp-wise, but that's not always an exact science (the night I spent at 50 followed a night spent at 29) and you would want to err on the side of caution. Most do here, and if there were an issue as you say with overly cautious shoppers, you'd hear more about it.

However, I believe I understand what you are getting at. Based on some discussions with winter hikers, specifically those out for more than 2 days at a time, moisture management is definitely an issue. Many have weighed their quilts post hike/camp to discover moisture weight present. Clearly, moisture is being moved through the quilt. Does more insulation deter or enhance that transportation of moisture, or is the transportation of moisture constant regardless of more down? I don't know. My guess is that if you sweat more, it has more of an effect on the inside layer of the quilt than it does on moisture moving through the quilt. This is where a vapor barrier would be helpful.

For your hypothesized scenario, I think conditions outside the quilt would have to be so humid as to prevent normal evaporation of moisture on the outside of the quilt, whereas the inside conditions are more than likely the same as always. If normal conditions mean moisture in, moisture out, and its not moving out as fast as the normal process of putting it in, then you would think there would be some buildup. Not seeing lots of reports about that. If you then give the inside conditions more than normal moisture, like with a hot sleeping hiker/camper, perhaps you reach a tipping point whereby the normal processes don't work as they're supposed to. I suspect this idea is at work with regard to condensation issues folks sometimes have with 20 degree quilts used in a cold rain (but well above freezing).
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I understand your concern and I share it. However I only worry about it in relation to a top quilt. Gravity doesn't help you vent a top will like it does an under quilt. Its true you can stick one arm and one leg out from under a top quilt but then you'll just be cold on one half and hot and sweaty on the other half. So I have always been advocate of having more than 1 top quilt to better fit the conditions. Of course I have more than one underquilt too, but that's just a personal problem.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Formerly octothorpesarus mudsocks's Avatar
    Images
    Remember that it is very difficult to effectively improvise under insulation in your hammock. My strategy for keeping comfortable and dry now includes a silk bag liner. I always take gear rated for temps lower than expected. For example if the lows are expected to be around 40 the 40 degree UQ stays home and I take the 15 degree UQ. I might go to sleep with a lightweight long sleeve running shirt or base layer if the temps are around 60 or colder. Pull the silk bag liner over my legs. As the night goes on and it cools off I pull the bag liner over my torso. When the temps drop further I pull the TQ over my legs and over my torso if it really cools off.

I almost never start off fully covered.

Senior Member Scotty Von Porkchop's Avatar
    Hammock
    BeUL with stretchy footbox
    Tarp
    silnylon hex
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Mule tape
    Images
    I actually I think that down capturing sweat is good as it actively transports it through the quilt and contributes to comfort and warmth, in cold conditions dew point could ruin that effect though. But I can't use a cold weather quilt in warmer temps as I'm a warm sleeper,way to uncomfortable for me

• + New Posts