homemade
    Insulation
    GG ThinLight
    Suspension
    rings and webbing
    Images

moving to boca raton

hey guys and gals,

being a nurse, i decided to travel a bit and took a 13 week position in boca raton. it looks kinda flat down there.... i was trying to get a position in crescent city ca (google it - looks awesome!! ...uh... bears anyone?)

anyone know of any great trails/hikes/walk in the wood areas? i see a fairly large wildlife sanctuary to the west of boca but it appears to be swampy-everglade type of stuff

coming from NE this is going to be a change... hey at least i know my hammock is croc proof!!! they can reach about 5 ft in the air right?
    thanks

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dingus Khan View Post
    hey guys and gals,

being a nurse, i decided to travel a bit and took a 13 week position in boca raton. it looks kinda flat down there.... i was trying to get a position in crescent city ca (google it - looks awesome!! ...uh... bears anyone?)

anyone know of any great trails/hikes/walk in the wood areas? i see a fairly large wildlife sanctuary to the west of boca but it appears to be swampy-everglade type of stuff

coming from NE this is going to be a change... hey at least i know my hammock is croc proof!!! they can reach about 5 ft in the air right?
    thanks
    DK, congrats on your travel job, hope you enjoy it. What unit will you be working on? I'm a nurse myself, but have never taken a travel position. As far as trails/hikes in the area, talk to T-Back or Joe, they both live in FL, so they would know, or at least be able to point you in the right direction. Good luck on your assignment!
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images
    Wow, this hammock hanging lifestyle seems disproportionately attractive to folks in nursing. Because I am also in this group. I am in the anesthesia branch of nursing, and for years I have been on the verge of doing the travelling CRNA bit. But I have never quite pulled the trigger. But lately I have been feeling more urge to go this route, as it would allow me to travel to places where I could also do some outdoor adventures while I am there. For one thing, our daughter andson in law are in Manchester, NH. We already visit there. But if I would just go up there and work for a week, I could have the trip paid for. And then take a few days to a week off and check out hanging in the Mountains of NH, Vermont and Maine. Which I suspect would be pretty awesome! I need to get off my but and arrange such a lifestyle. Of course, taking such a step would mean first quiting the local full time gigs I have now. That's a pretty big step! But either way, I look forward to checking out backpacking and hammocking opportunities in NH and surrounding areas.

Right now, I usually take my one big trip per year to the Wind River Mountains in Wyoming. I greatly love that place and don't plan to stop. But the elevation change from 340 feet at my Mississippi house and 9000 to 11000 ft camp sites is always a big challenge. And seemingly more so as I get older. I need to add some lower elevation spots to my adventure list!
    Bill

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    See you in FL!

Welcome, and when you find yourself in North FL, let me know - there's a few of us on this site in the Panhandle who can show you around up here.

Unfortunately I'm not familiar w/your area so I'm of no use!

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    If you get on Ed Speers hammock group email list there is someone there (I believe parks_carey) that is in the Miami area. He would have some good ideas. I believe he does a lot of kayak camping with his hammock which IMO would be better for South Florida than hiking.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Wow, this hammock hanging lifestyle seems disproportionately attractive to folks in nursing. Because I am also in this group. I am in the anesthesia branch of nursing, and for years I have been on the verge of doing the travelling CRNA bit.
    Bill, you can always do a locum tenens assignment. We used to see quite a few of them when I worked in a smaller hospital in the OR. I'm in the cardiothoracic ICU now, working up my experience to possbly apply to CRNA school at MUSC in Charleston or, hopefully, UNC Charlotte/Carolinas College of Healthcare Sciences. I still need to take the GRE, which I dread, but I suppose it's a necessary evil.

I guess a lot of us are drawn from nursing to hammocking because our jobs have such a high stress level. We, if anyone, can certainly appreciate the value of relaxing comfortably. I know I do. I'm still looking for a place in the parking area to hang my hammock during lunch (Around 12-1 am , if I'm lucky) without security riding my butt about it.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    Bill, you can always do a locum tenens assignment. We used to see quite a few of them when I worked in a smaller hospital in the OR. I'm in the cardiothoracic ICU now, working up my experience to possbly apply to CRNA school at MUSC in Charleston or, hopefully, UNC Charlotte/Carolinas College of Healthcare Sciences. I still need to take the GRE, which I dread, but I suppose it's a necessary evil.

I guess a lot of us are drawn from nursing to hammocking because our jobs have such a high stress level. We, if anyone, can certainly appreciate the value of relaxing comfortably. I know I do. I'm still looking for a place in the parking area to hang my hammock during lunch (Around 12-1 am , if I'm lucky) without security riding my butt about it.

Hooch, I have done locums work before, but always locally, except for 25 years ago. But since I'm fully occupied locally, I'm not really looking for extra work. So, to take advantage of travelling as a locums, I'd pretty well have to give up my local gigs and go locums only. A big step to take, but I have considered taking it, more so lately.

I hope you make it with your CRNA plans. Because if you do, then you and me and my CRNA buddy from Asheville, NC will probably make a total of 3 hammock hanging CRNA's in the nation!

Good luck on finding a place to hang at work. You will probably have to go stealth, to escape security. But you just made me think. One of the hospitals I work at in Corinth, MS has a little picnic area for employees out back. Maybe an acre or two with a lake. Loaded with hardwoods perfect for hanging. Next time I'm there, I may take my hammock and get some real relaxation on break!
    Bill

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I've been doing hikes at various points along the Florida Scenic Trail to prepare for my 08 AT thru. Some of the northern sections are nice and wooded; you even get some rolling hills. I've got a few trail maps if you're interested. I live in Vero Beach if you ever need a hiking buddy.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    homemade
    Insulation
    GG ThinLight
    Suspension
    rings and webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    DK, congrats on your travel job, hope you enjoy it. What unit will you be working on? I'm a nurse myself, but have never taken a travel position. As far as trails/hikes in the area, talk to T-Back or Joe, they both live in FL, so they would know, or at least be able to point you in the right direction. Good luck on your assignment!
    Thanks Hooch! I'll be working on the 8th floor (med surg) of Boca Raton community hospital. I really don't know if it has a title or not. Sounds like a pretty basic unit which is good for me since I'm still kind green (2 yrs exp)
    It should be nice to see something different!
    Thanks for the input as well

Hammock
    HH Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    homemade
    Insulation
    GG ThinLight
    Suspension
    rings and webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I've been doing hikes at various points along the Florida Scenic Trail to prepare for my 08 AT thru. Some of the northern sections are nice and wooded; you even get some rolling hills. I've got a few trail maps if you're interested. I live in Vero Beach if you ever need a hiking buddy.
    THanks Cannibal, i'll look forward to it. At least i feel gator safe....

• + New Posts