Hammock
    Variable
    Tarp
    Surperfly
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Variable
    I'll be watching this. I just got a machine too, and like yourself, have zero sewing experience. I just threaded it and ran a couple test stitches yesterday. I'll be leaching off of the advice given to you.

Congratulations on winning the contest, and good luck with your hammock. I'm looking forward to watching your progress. I'm sure all of the talented DIY'ers are going to guide you right on through.
    Like thrash metal? Check out my nephew's band, Deathwatch. He's an amazing drummer... https://soundcloud.com/user-660860695

Hammock
    Double-Layer 11'
    Tarp
    Realtree w/ doors
    Insulation
    TQ - UGQ, UQ - DIY
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Look forward to watching your progress. Congrats on winning!
    - Kyle

www.RipstopbytheRoll.com | "The Best Fabrics on Earth. Guaranteed."

Hammock
    1.7SL WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20° TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Spiders/Hooks
    I completed my first stitches yesterday. These are just a few samples as I was playing around with the different settings on the machine.

I was surprised how little the material fed through the machine by itself. I think it was due to the super-slick fabric I was using. I will have to play around with some cotton and see how that does!

All in all, a lot of fun! It was a bit more difficult than I expected. I jammed up the machine a few times by not feeding the material fast enough. I've got a lot of practice in my future. I'll try making a few stuff sacks before touching the actual hammock.

Thanks!

ufdigga

Last edited by ufdigga; 03-18-2015 at 10:13.

Hammock
    1.7SL WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20° TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Spiders/Hooks
    I will be posting newbie observations and resources as I go, and I will also cut-and-paste them into the original post for easy reference! [Edit: looks like editing the original post isn't possible]

Threading the bobbin: I misunderstood the directions in the manual, and fed the string through the large opening in the side of the bobbin case rather than snapping it through the slit in the edge of the case and under the spring. This meant I had zero tension in the bobbin, tried cranking the tension screw down all the way, and got a bunch of jams the first time I tried running the machine. This video set me straight.

Threading the machine: Related to the problem above. I opened up the sewing machine expecting to do a lot of precise threading as part of the setup. This comes from my only previous sewing experience: threading the eye of a needle. I realized early into the process that every time I tried to precisely push a piece of thread through a hole, I was doing it wrong. Almost every part of the machine is built to allow HOOKING the thread rather than THREADING the thread. This includes:

* Bobbin case: pull the thread through the thin slit in the edge of the bobbin case rather than threading it through the large opening.

* Thread take up lever: what looks at first glance like an eyehole at the top of the lever is actually a hook. You can hook the thread around the back edge of the lever rather than threading the 'eye'.

* Thread guide near the needle clamp screw: hook the thread around to the right rather than trying to thread through the small 'hole'.

Now that I know what I'm doing, the only time I need to precisely thread a hole is when I pass the thread through the needle itself.

Hammock
    Woodsman X
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    HG phoenix 20 deg
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    how is this progressing?

Hammock
    DIY Double layer Hammock
    Images
    Congratz! I look forward to seeing your progress and any mods you add to it.
    Living Minnesota! Great Land, lousy politics. But hey, my family is here so......

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12