WBBB 1.7 DL/AH Original
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex w/SS
    Insulation
    AHE NR UQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathstar77 View Post
    Tarp ridgeline and tie outs, yes. Hammock, definitely not.
    Absolutely agree

Hammock
    To many
    Tarp
    To many
    Insulation
    Incubator 20 + oth
    Suspension
    Buckles
    Images
    I agree there are much better/safer/lighter options for suspensions out there. I would not use them myself @ 250#. That being said, my 3 grandsons use the large ones & have been for 2 years hanging 15-20 nights a year. They're 70/90/110 lb. I'll upgrade them when they get around 140.

This was the system they chose with the understanding that when they got larger they should change. They like them because their quick & easy for them to setup with stock suspension. When they change I will teach them how to build their own suspension. I will NOT build it for them.

They are taught to not hang higher than their willing to fall & that's been 12/14" at this time. I make them do the setup themselves & I check it before their allowed to climb in. Their pretty tough kids & I think the could take a 12/14" fall without receiving brain damage.

I think the large 9s can be used as a viable suspension for lite weights low hangs but not for higher, heavier hangs. Plain old fashion common sense must be used in all endeavors.

There is 6 hangers in my immediate family & we all use the smallest ones for tarps. I had a medium one break with me when I grabbed 2 ran out & used them on a new hammock I received that day. Fell about 20". At 61 it seems to jar more than it did when I was a kid.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    0 Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I've looked at these in Lowes and I think they say right on them "Not For Climbing". That, to me, says I should not be hanging on them. But that's just me

Well compare one to a climbing carbiner: thinner, less rounded edges. That isn't going to be as good on the line. Wire gate on a carabiner is integral to the strength vs. the s hook. A circle is an entirely stronger shape while an s shape will twist and fail.

Finally, these strength ratings are typically breaking strength, which is the determined by taking samples off the production line, testing them until they break and averaging the results. That is the strongest it will ever be and it goes down from there.

I love the s binders but why hang from them when regular climbing carabiners can be had for under $5each, especially if you wait for a sale.

Images
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123