Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    UCR

UCR to tree strap knot?

Since I switched from whoopie slings to UCRs, I noticed that a marlin spike hitch with a toggle is no longer necessary, since there is no need for a free moving adjustable part of the Whoopie sling that needs to go over the MSH. Sooo... I can now connect the eye of the UCR directly to the tree strap. This saves on the toggle weight and I lose these toggles all the time anyway.

So I was searching for a knot to connect the webbing to the UCR, and, wheras I have been lurking end learning lots on this forum, there is not much to find about this.

I came up with this video of Derek Hansen, talking from about 4:50 about the Becket Hitch aka the sheet bend. There is also the slippery version of it.

This thread describes a sort of reverse sheet bend which turns out to be known as the Quick hitch: http://www.animatedknots.com/quickhitch/. Works great for me so far.

Both the sheet bend and the quick hitch seem to be vulnerable in terms of loosening when the hammock is not loaded (and apparently also for practical jokers at group hangs who pull the slippery knots loose while the hammock owner is in the hammock).

Do you guys and gals have suggestions on how to improve these knots so they are more secure? Or maybe suggestions for other knots for adjustable connection of UCR to webbing? Maybe I should add that I like to go UL, so I try to not use hardware.
    Last edited by Armchair hiker; 03-15-2015 at 08:15.

Tarp
    Noah 12 right now
    Insulation
    HG Pincubator
    Suspension
    15 Kevlar Brecket
    I have a thought, but need to ask how you attach the ucr to your hammock first...

Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by Ujjc001 View Post
    I have a thought, but need to ask how you attach the ucr to your hammock first...

The short part of the UCR is larksheaded to the hammock via a spliced eye, through the channel. The long part needs to be connected, also via a spliced eye, to the webbing.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Slipped buntline at 2:00....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8MvlQBthZU

Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post

Thanks for your answer. Would that hold if you put a bight in the tree strap and attach the amsteel via de bunt line to this bight? What I like about the marlin spike hitch is that it is easy to tie and is easily undone. You can adjust the place in the webbing where you tie it to accomodate for large or small trees. If the slipped buntline does not hold in just a bight of the tree strap, that would mean making an eye in the webbing first, then tying the bunt line hitch, not so easy.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    If your amsteel UCR has a fixed loop at the tree end ( about 8 inches ) that loop can be 5 wrap prusik around tree strap. It's adjustable and holds great after hand tightening with a sideways pull. The main problem is loosening the prusik can be time consuming but not impossible.
    Another way would be match up the tree strap and the amsteel parallel and tie them both in a marlin spike hitch with a toggle. You can put an extra wrap in the marlin spike hitch for extra grip.
    Or if you have a small fixed loop in amsteel UCR at the tree you can larks head the tree hugger through the fixed loop before attaching it to tree.
    I've never had any sabotage to my rig but maybe I've been lucky but I've not seen it at any hangs. Good luck

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    You could try a Farrimond Friction Hitch Tied to tree strap loop. You can shorten the loop until it won't shorten but you might not want that since it's quick release like a slip knot.
    Or tie a round turn and finish with a slipped half hitch and an extra half hitch that is doubled and ain't a slip knot. Good luck.

Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    UCR
    @Phantom Grappler

These are all cool ideas, I'll think about and try them.

Do you know if friction hitches like the Prussik hold when tied with Amsteel on the webbing? I have some experience with Blake's hitch, that might be a good possibility as well.

Thanks!

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird; Old Hennessys
    Tarp
    HG Cuben; MacCat
    Insulation
    JRB top & bottom
    Suspension
    hammock anchor;UCR
    You can tie an Ashley stopper (aka Oysterman's stoopper) into the tree strap and just leave it there. The loop an eye-splice at the end of your UCR over the stopper, just as you did with the loop of your whoopie.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Armchair hiker
    Amsteel 5 wrap prusik holds webbing tree strap great. But if you adjust it then you have to loosen the prusik first and this takes a minute to loosen. Blakes hitch might work too and extra wraps can be added if needed.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast