Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe Asym
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    AHE Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Exclamation Could use help here: Persuade a camp director that hammocks are OK

So recently, our scout troop has almost gone to exclusively hammocks from tents - and they LOVE it. The one downside is that each year when we go to our formal BSA week-long scout camp at Camp Raymond in AZ, the camp director says hammocks are not allowed because of the damage they do to the trees (we all use 1-2" tree straps - no rope). The first year, we didn't put up much of an argument with him - we just let him know that we used the tree straps - he still didn't approve, so we just said OK and let it go.

This year, I'd like to take a different approach and hope to be able to educate him on why hammock camping is actually better for the environment in general, why it doesn't hurt the trees and why it's better than tents when following the Leave No Trace principles.

Can anyone point me to such an article or study that already outlines all these?

Thanks!
    Vegetarian: Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Burrow, KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I'm not up to date on any scientific/naturalist group that does studies like you're asking for, but showing him links to the state park regulations of his state and/or nearby states showing how how they've all [hopefully] approved hammocks at their facilities as long as you're using 1" tree straps may go a long way toward him approving hammocks. Maybe, once you find those rules (which are probably 1"), if he's still hesitant, agree to use 2" tree straps for double the weight distribution. You can also always make a troop group project and build a bunch of freestanding hammock stands.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Ask him if he will banish woodpeckers, lighting, winds, bugs, axes and all then other things that are way harder on trees.
    Closed minded officials get on me nerves.
    Good luck on the quest. And glad your scouts are excited about the hammock life.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1Double layer
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG 20* Burr/Incu
    Suspension
    Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Dochartaigh View Post
    I'm not up to date on any scientific/naturalist group that does studies like you're asking for, but showing him links to the state park regulations of his state and/or nearby states showing how how they've all [hopefully] approved hammocks at their facilities as long as you're using 1" tree straps may go a long way toward him approving hammocks. Maybe, once you find those rules (which are probably 1"), if he's still hesitant, agree to use 2" tree straps for double the weight distribution. You can also always make a troop group project and build a bunch of freestanding hammock stands.
    Both excellent ideas, though you would think a camp director would already have the basic knowledge of something like this. I wonder if this is more of a case of a long standing camp director that is set in their ways. Then uses the hammock as possible "damage to the trees" as a more valid reason than "I don't like change".

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird; Old Hennessys
    Tarp
    HG Cuben; MacCat
    Insulation
    JRB top & bottom
    Suspension
    hammock anchor;UCR
    Maybe this info from the Leave No Trace organization.s web site (https://lnt.org/blog/hammock-camping) would help:

Hammock Camping
    Now that the weather is getting a little warmer, Leave No Trace has received several inquiries about using hammocks while camping. People have asked us if hammocks are a better choice than tents and what impact hammocks might have on the environment. Our Education Director, Ben, had some informative responses to these questions that I wanted to share with our blogging community:

1) The Leave No Trace Center for Outdoor Ethics does not have a recommendation either for or against tents and/or hammocks. We advocate for enjoying the outdoors responsibly.

2) Hammocks can eliminate much of the impact generally associated with tent camping. When tent camping, you are impacting a larger area just by the sheer nature of a tent’s size and the additional impact of sleeping pads, sleeping bags and the campers inside.

3) As long as ‘tree saver' straps (1-1.5” wide straps that go around the tree to minimize any girdling effects) are used, there is very little impact associated with hammock camping. Besides getting in and out of the hammock, the ground beneath is almost untouched.

4) A hammock allows for greater flexibility when choosing a campsite. When looking for a tent site, level ground is generally preferred. However, with a hammock, one can essentially camp wherever there are trees. This could be on a steep slope, over boulders, snow or other surface the might not be suitable for tent camping.

There is a great online Hammock Forum where you can find even more information and connect with other hammock users.

Have Fun!

One possible approach may be to offer to teach a leaders course on LNT and Hammocks. - The right way and wrong way to do it. (While the kids go to merit badge courses, the grownups have to do something, right?)

Cause those ropes really do tear the heck out of trees. I've seen a lot of kids show up with your basic cheapie Hammock using the ropes and destroy the bark on the trees.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I would search around on the web to see what articles are out there, and whether or not you find them to be authoritative.

On the flip side, I found this Q&A and was really surprised to see his response! Chain? Sounds crazy, but he says tying ANYTHING around a tree could be worse than an eyebolt. He seems to know his stuff, but could be wrong. I guess it's one of those 'keep looking until you find the answer you like' deals.

http://www.walterreeves.com/gardenin...rk-with-chain/

Images
    the director may be there to enforce the rules, not make the rules. asking him to allow this is asking him to NOT do his job. you can educate him all you want and if there is a rule that nothing is to be tied to trees your out of luck. find out the steps you need to go through to change the rules. i doubt there is just one person you need to convince. i am sure the forum will help you put together a demonstration. there may be a you-tube on it already. Good Luck.
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    Switchback/DD Superlight
    Tarp
    BDD/DDH SL
    Insulation
    JRBShen/AHE/DDH UB
    Suspension
    Straps/DC-DDH susp
    Contact his bosses. BSA HQ?

Hammock
    HH Ultralight Explorer
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Diy UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Walter Reeves is a very well respected botanical geek here in Atlanta, so I was a little un-nerved at his observations that wrapping anything around the tree is bad.

Late in the article he does mention nylon straps, though, so there's that. Putting eyebolts in trees doesn't seem right to me.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast