He does seem very reasonable.

If you were to instead encounter a very difficult camp manager, you should know that the local BSA councils are nonprofit corporations governed by a (volunteer) board of directors. They have to file financials (990's) with the IRS. You can go to guidestar.org and view them. They will list an address for the corporation as well as the names of the board members. Write then nice letters and include an article. I bet they have never gotten anything like that. I am not suggesting pestering them, but rather making your case. (i.e. We really love your camp. Thank you for the work you do to make it possible. We want to camp with hammocks but you don't allow it. Here is an article from the BSA magazine that explains why it is a good idea. Won't you please reconsider. Etc). I imagine they would ask the camp director to explain his position (he may change it if he can't support it) and they can overrule him.

The only thing is that may not work very quickly. The board may only meet once a quarter.