Grand Trunk
    Tarp
    8x10 silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Tree Strap

unfilled UQ

I know that I have seen somewhere that someone makes UQs without the down, and are just open on the one end to be stuffed and sewn. Please help!

Some background:
    2 years ago I made myself a 3/4 UQ from one of those Ozark Trail Wally World sleeping bags. I removed the hood and foot box, then added some grosgrain ribbon for the shock cord. I also added some more down to it. I was pretty pleased with myself as this was my first "real" project with the ol' thread injector.

At this point I realize that there are a few issues with the UQ that need to be addressed. The main one is that the shape is a bit too droopy under the middle of the quilt and makes for a cold spot where the quilt does not contact the hammock. This is, of course, right under my shoulders. I also only have a cinch cord on one end of the quilt, so a cool breeze shoots up the one side.

While this was a fun project, I think that I would be better served harvesting the down into a better made quilt than trying to continue the modifications on this one.

Warmer weather is coming, and I want to sleep in my hammock! (If I get this figured out, it can even stay cold!)
    There is no try, only do.

Hammock
    BIAS Weight Weenie
    Tarp
    JRB Hex
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Kevlar
    Underquilts.com used to and has them listed but I'm told they're out of business.

Hammock
    BIAS Weight Weenie
    Tarp
    JRB Hex
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Kevlar
    Wildernesslogics.com has TQ shells here: http://wildernesslogics.com/QUILT-SHELLS-QS.htm

Hammock
    Grand Trunk
    Tarp
    8x10 silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Tree Strap
    Right on, thank you Jacob! You still in Japan? I heard it was quite a big winter for snow over there. Happy hanging
    There is no try, only do.

• + New Posts