Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    SLD Tree Runner
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps

How strong is your tablecloth?

Hello,

I am very new to hammocks. I have never camped in one and the last time I was actually in a hammock was when I fell asleep in my neighbor's backyard hammock about 30 years ago lol.

Before I spend alot of money on a camping rig, I was thinking about making a tablecloth hammock as Caveman describes here - https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...way-I-do-it%29

I have a question about how strong the tablecloths are. I am 6' tall and weigh 245-250, depending on who you ask

Will one of the 60"x126" taffeta tablecloths hold that much weight or will I need something more substantial?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hammock
    Dutch net less wide
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20's / SLD TW
    Suspension
    Straps/no harware
    a 60x126 crinkle taffeta will hold your weight fine. some claim they are good to around 400#. i dont doubt that claim, they seem to be pretty robust. im 5'8 and 210# and find the 90x132 much more comfortable. just recently i trimmed the width down to 70", to get rid of some of the excess material that hangs in your face.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Digital Camo GG
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks!
    I used a tablecloth for two years and never had an issue. Sewed channels in the ends and larksheaded whoopie slings through them. I weigh around the same as you and I've had two adults and a 8 year old in the hammock with me with no problems. Now, having said that, one of my Scouts made a tablecloth hammock and it ripped on the first hang. I wouldn't hesitate to go that route again, just make sure you look over the material really well before you hang, and the colors are pretty cool too. 60 x 126 is a pretty standard size but the 90 x 156 is pretty popular as well. You should also check out Dutch and all the other cottage vendors here on the forums. You might find a better deal. Luck to you my friend, and welcome to the addiction!
    "Never corner anything meaner than you are...."-Unknown

Hammock
    DN, Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    ProFly/SuperFly
    Insulation
    KAQ JarBridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I made a dozen tablecloth hammocks last spring and one failed on the first usage, the others have held up to many different weights. After going over the failed hammock, I think that the rip in the fabric originated from either some irregularities in the fabric near where the rip began or possibly whipping too close to the end of the fabric.

When it boils down to it, these are tablecloths and not hammocks. They do not go through the same QC as a piece of fabric designed to suspend a person in the air. As long as you check the fabric for structural deficiencies, I think they will hold up fine for quite some time.
    All those hours exploring the great outdoors made me more resilient and confident

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    285 here and have put many nights in my tablecloth with no problems
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Hammock
    HH Safari
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    Potomac UnderQuilt
    Suspension
    diywhoopies/straps
    I use my tablecloth hammocks for day trips while kayaking. One of my tablecloth hammocks failed but it could have been due to the way I used it. After swimming and while still wet I would lounge in it. That went on for two summers and then late in the Fall I had a slow motion fabric fail. As affordable as the tablecloths are I ordered another one and now I have been doubling the fabric with no issues. I do treat my camping hammock with more care and don't get it wet repeatedly like I do my tablecloth day hammock.

Hammock
    hh ex deluxe, diy hyper d 1.6
    Suspension
    amsteel speed hook
    4 people 674lbs. In a 90x132

Hammock
    DIY HyperD 11"
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & down bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Led Boots View Post
    Hello,

I am very new to hammocks. I have never camped in one and the last time I was actually in a hammock was when I fell asleep in my neighbor's backyard hammock about 30 years ago lol.

Before I spend alot of money on a camping rig, I was thinking about making a tablecloth hammock as Caveman describes here - https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...way-I-do-it%29

I have a question about how strong the tablecloths are. I am 6' tall and weigh 245-250, depending on who you ask

Will one of the 60"x126" taffeta tablecloths hold that much weight or will I need something more substantial?

It'll definitely hold you, your backpack, your gf/bf, and maybe even your dog (gotta watch the nails though). I made my first one a double layer in the 60x126 size. It weighs a ton compared to the one I'm going to make next but it is as close to bulletproof as I've ever made one. I'm more concerned about the tree straps breaking at this point than I am about the hammock failing. Just gotta make sure you empty your pockets and don't have any sharp or pointed objects to cause severe stress points on the fabric.

Hammock
    13 x 9 diy tcf dbl
    Tarp
    12' diy with doors
    Insulation
    diy down bag conv
    Suspension
    2" straps
    I use a diy double layer 13 foot from tf.com I'm about 300 and my wife is about just right and we sleep in it together. No issues in 2 years. uploadfromtaptalk1426532018215.jpg

Hammock
    DIY tablecloth struc. ridgeline
    Tarp
    Noahs Tarp 12
    Insulation
    Blue WM pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Led Boots View Post
    Hello,

I'm in that same size/weight range. I have no problem with my tablecloth--60x126, crinkle taffetta.
    Time is but the stream I go afishing in. Henry David Thoreau

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast