Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    phnx,zepp,jbrdge
    Suspension
    straps, hammock an

sht- help for newbie please

Hi guys , well as the title sas I need some help
    I didn't realize that the sht is only 10 hrs from me here just south of chicago, so I'm thinking a 4-5 day week gives me a day of travel and a 3 day 2 night adventure. Not looking to make any big miles perhaps 7-10 in a day. Gonna order the guide book and check into the shuttle system but any and all advice would be appreciated, btw solo backpacking starting in may sometime during the weekdays...thanks...
    It's not the boulders that throw us off balance, it's the pebbles beneath our feet

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Well there's a ton of thoughts and advice headed your way but you're started in the right place. Get the very inexpensive little map set for 3 bucks or so as well as the guide. In fact get a couple sets one for clean reference and another to write on. Excellent little maps. Use the website a lot for info and conditions. Shuttle is really easy to figure out once you hit their website (link also on the shta.org site) and get the schedule down. I use it quite a bit as a solo backpacker and trail volunteer. Wonderful service.

Watch Shug's videos for a flavor of the trail, he hits many, many very nice sections of the trail. Everything you need to know about hiking here in the northwoods is on his youtube channel.

If you're into email groups join the hiker group for the SHT on yahoo. It's been around for years and years, ton's of people who are close to the trail or spend tremendous amounts of time on it. A wealth of information.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird, WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Jarbidge and Down
    Suspension
    Straps and Buckles
    Sometimes the trail is REALLY wet in early May. We didn't get as much snow this year, so it may dry out a little sooner than average, but it all depends on the Spring rains.

I've never used the shuttle (I have my own family driver ) so I can't really comment on that other than they get good reviews from all I've heard speak about it.
    If your lucky enough to be outdoors, your lucky enough!

Tarp
    Noah 12 right now
    Insulation
    HG Pincubator
    Suspension
    15 Kevlar Brecket
    Look in the group hangs thread, I started one to see if there's any interest in a spring hike hang for a few days. I live at the start (or end, depending on which way you want to walk). When are you thinking? Another few weeks like the last should eat up the little bit of snow still out there.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...d.php?t=107381
    Last edited by Ujjc001; 03-16-2015 at 21:14.

Hammock
    Dutchware Poly D
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG uq & JRB tq
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Hey I was just up there from the 18th to the 20th. The shuttle doesn't start til May so it is a good thing you are going then. I had to have my friend come pick me up in Beaver Bay.

You should be good with 7-10 miles a day. Just check the guidebook to plan your days so that you end up on one of the designated campsites, as you have to camp at the designated sites off the trail. Dont worry about packing water. I wouldn't even carry more than a liter with me because there are plenty of places to fill up if you have a filter. All the campsites are near water. So filter what you need for dinner/breakfast/drinking etc. at camp and don't worry about packing any during the hike, this will save some weight.

I didn't have poles but I wanted them after the first day. Very rocky and hilly terrain plus can get slippery with all the mud so poles would be a nice thing to have on the trip.

Hammock
    Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ & EE UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    The book will give you a good idea of water and major places on the trail. Watch the video's from Shug, Ryan Viney, Pizza and Darinbjerknes they show the campsites and which ones are hammock friendly. Beaver Bay and south has the most traffic, once you get above Finland there are not as many hikers. When you get your book order the wall map that has the elevations displayed on the bottom. There are some sections that you will really have to work to get a mile an hour.
    Have fun.

You can get the guidebook in kindle format than, if you have a smart phone, you won't have to lug the paper copy. I would not recommend the SHT until late May at the earliest. Check the SHT website for current conditions. From Chicago, if your looking to get out earlier, I would consider the Ice Age Trail. Three are some nice sections in the Kettle Moraine and around Madison that should be in good hiking shape well before the SHT.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    AHE New River UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speed clips
    Images
    There is an iOS app for the SHT that shows a lot of popular hikes

http://www.shta.org/Trail/App.php

I'd suggest looking at the cascade river loop (never done that one but it looks great) or the Split Rock River Loop (Have done and it was amazing)

Also Done the Bean and Bear Lake Loop Also amazing!!!

Check out the app, it shows maps and campsites etc... but do also purchase a set of paper maps!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Here is my SHT Playlist.......https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...zwwDh-P9J4-HoV
    See a lot of different trips on there.
    It is a wonderful trail.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB mambajamba
    Insulation
    Thermarest
    Suspension
    whoopie/Dutch
    Thanks for posting. I'm hiking in August and will be checking this post often.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast