Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    JRB 10X11, MacCat
    Insulation
    Snugfit, 2 JRBs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Redtail View Post
    Sounds good, please keep me posted. I live in MD also, about 7 miles from AT.
    Hi Redtail,
    I was thinking that one of the parks that the AT runs through or by might be a nice place for everyone to get together. That would allow everyone to drive in and park and meet up. Then those who wanted to head further on the AT and hang for a night or two or...could easily do it. Someplace maybe like Washington Monument State Park or one of the others near you. I'd probably want to check with the rangers there to see if they would have any reservations about us doing that, ahead of time. What do you think?
    MQ
    qpens

I live in MA, I'd go to something if it was a half day drive and there was booze there, or booze near, or booze anywhere. I'd even bring my ham'ick!

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    I think Washington Monument Park only has youth group camping but you can check if it's okay to meet/park there then hike somewhere else to camp (Dahlgren is nearby but is usually crowded). Maybe if we bring some kids we can be a "youth group". I'm bringing mine.

If there's any where you want me to go scope out let me know, my son and I hike most weekends. I want to go check out some C&O canal camping spots with my son next weekend so we can do some fishing too.

-Redtail

Images
    I am not fimilar with the area, but look into AT shelters. That is what was done at the Mt Rogers hangout and worked fine. I wouldn't think it would be an issue with 10-15 people.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Quote Originally Posted by qpens View Post
    Hi Redtail,
    I was thinking that one of the parks that the AT runs through or by might be a nice place for everyone to get together. That would allow everyone to drive in and park and meet up. Then those who wanted to head further on the AT and hang for a night or two or...could easily do it.
    MQ
    qpens
    How bout Pine Grove Furnace in PA, its close to the mid point of the AT and has a camping area for hanging and the trail goes right by there. Some of our hanging thru hikers may be in that area around june/july. I know it is impossible to know exactly when a hiker will be at a particular point but maybe we could shuttle them back and forth if they were close. Just a thought to include everyone if those on the trail were interested. Wherever it ends up I plan on going if its w/in 5 or 6 hours drive.

Images
    If someone can get ahold of me on my sobo hike, I would attend.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Hennesy ULBA
    Tarp
    Macat D
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveler
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    I am not fimilar with the area, but look into AT shelters. That is what was done at the Mt Rogers hangout and worked fine. I wouldn't think it would be an issue with 10-15 people.
    Quote Originally Posted by southpawx3 View Post
    How bout Pine Grove Furnace in PA, its close to the mid point of the AT and has a camping area for hanging and the trail goes right by there. Some of our hanging thru hikers may be in that area around june/july. I know it is impossible to know exactly when a hiker will be at a particular point but maybe we could shuttle them back and forth if they were close. Just a thought to include everyone if those on the trail were interested. Wherever it ends up I plan on going if its w/in 5 or 6 hours drive.
    If we go that route I would like to suggest we do it at the James Fry Shelter. There is a camp Ground with parking real close. Also down the hill from the shelter (about 75 yards) is a great camp site with plenty of trees to hang and it is flat. We would be able to see the shelter and still not disturb anyone there.
    A Bad Day On The Trail Is Better Than A Great Day At Work!!!

-.- -... ...-- ... -.-- --..

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    JRB 10X11, MacCat
    Insulation
    Snugfit, 2 JRBs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ShakeyLeggs View Post
    If we go that route I would like to suggest we do it at the James Fry Shelter. There is a camp Ground with parking real close. Also down the hill from the shelter (about 75 yards) is a great camp site with plenty of trees to hang and it is flat. We would be able to see the shelter and still not disturb anyone there.
    Where exactly is the James Fry Shelter?
    MQ

Hammock
    Hennesy ULBA
    Tarp
    Macat D
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveler
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by qpens View Post
    Where exactly is the James Fry Shelter?
    MQ
    Used to be named Tagg Run Shelters. It is by Tagg Run Campground just north of Pine Grove Furnace.
    A Bad Day On The Trail Is Better Than A Great Day At Work!!!

-.- -... ...-- ... -.-- --..

Quote Originally Posted by ShakeyLeggs View Post
    ... Also down the hill from the shelter (about 75 yards) is a great camp site with plenty of trees to hang and it is flat...

If we hang, who cares if it is flat

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast