Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hello from Raleigh NC

Dad of 2 girls who like camping and the outdoors. I did my first overnight hang last year at falls lake with a buddy, wish I had joined this forum before that trip... Had a great time and have been lurking reddit and youtube since that trip to learn more. Just stumbled on syntax77 and Shug videos and decided to join up. I currently have an Eno Double nest and Pro fly, I use a sleep pad and a mummy bag, left open like a top quilt.
    I would really like to be able to camp with the family in more remote locations and away from the car camp spots of the triangle and look forward to learning and posting here.

Hammock
    diy insulated 10.5
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    becket hitch
    Welcome from Charlotte NC. I have a couple kids as well make it up pretty often. Making the transition away from car camping isn't too tough. NC had lots of great backpacking spots.

Do as many shakedown test runs in the backyard as possible. You'll start to figure out how much stuff you really need to take. Be careful about putting too much in your kids packs. Also practice bunk bed setups to see if they add anything for you.

Good luck, Brian.
    Crayons - they might look different, but they all taste the same

Hammock
    DN, Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    ProFly/SuperFly
    Insulation
    KAQ JarBridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Welcome to HF from York, PA. The hammock system being so small is one thing I really appreciate. I found this site when I was actually looking for a backpacking tent to start doing some non-car camping excursions. I had an ENO at the time and, with the great info here, made a few improvements to it to lower its weight and make it more comfortable for overnight sleeping. After those improvements, I ditched the tent idea and have been hanging ever since. Have fun with the wealth of info here.
    All those hours exploring the great outdoors made me more resilient and confident

Hammock
    HHDJ JUNGLE XL(2)
    Tarp
    RSBTR & Superfly
    Insulation
    TQ HG20* UQ HG20*
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    Welcome from Garner. A bunch of local hangers will be gathering at Umstead this weekend if you can make it. A good chance to see a lot of different options.

Hammock
    WBRR, Dutch
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Assorted JRB, DIY
    Suspension
    Whooooopie!
    Howdy from Virginia. I've got family in Rolesville.
    Always last to the camp site.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Welcome from down at the beach! Like Chigger said, come visit with us at Umstead on Saturday. We'll be in the main park campground off Glenwood.

Hammock
    DIY Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Pending
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Congrats on finding this place, I took the same path as you saw Sintax77 & shug who mentioned the forum. Best place to come for info on hanging. I take my niece & nephew on trips all the time, they love having there own hammocks & being outdoors. I agree with others, distributing gear is important. Kids have a lot of energy but tend to not carry gear for long. But be careful to not overload yourself in the process, you still need energy to set up camp & keep up with excited kids. But its worth it. NC has great places to hang with short hikes in without having a bunch of neighbors. I found Upper Creek Falls in pisgah. Its only a few miles of a loop, You can hike in (all down hill) less than a mile. There are a few sites along the trail w/ fire pits. There is a rock slide & rope swing on a good swimming hole at the top. There are actually a lot of places in our state to find. Jordon lake is also a good place a little closer. Enjoy

Hammock
    SLD Lair
    Tarp
    Gnarwhal Hex 12x9
    Insulation
    SLD UQ & KAQ TQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy_Bob_Joe_McCoy View Post
    \
    I would really like to be able to camp with the family in more remote locations and away from the car camp spots of the triangle and look forward to learning and posting here.
    If you don't mind hiking with a slow "Geezer" from Raleigh I can take you to (or direct you) to some nice spots in the Birkheads & Uwharrie NF. And out to Linville Gorge and beyond to the West.
    I THOUGHT GETTING OLDER WOULD TAKE MUCH LONGER.

Chigger, Pappyamos, Thanks for the invite, I'm going to try and head out after a couple of errands.

Deathstar, I'll wave next time I'm in Roseville.. ;-)

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast