Will these tie outs work?

This is a sample tie out I will be making for my 1.1oz silnylon tarp. The tarp edges have 3/4" grosgrain all the way around. Here I used a 1.5" grosgrain corner piece cut and sewn on with a 4" piece of 1" webbing around a 3/4" D ring. It was slightly bothersome using the thick webbing and turning it all around under the presser foot so I was wondering first off if this type of tie out will work and second off if I could use 3/4" grosgrain in place of the nylon webbing? My lines aren't perfect here because I was just rushing to get the general idea posted. Thanks!

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY hex or winter
    Insulation
    WL 3/4 UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks (IGD)
    Images
    Seems like overkill to me, but it should work fine. I have made 4 tarps so far and have never bothered to bind the edges. I followed the plans that DIY Gear Supply has on their site and just use 3/4 grossgrain to connect the D ring or triangle to the tarp and use a small piece of heavier fabric to distribute the forces. Fronkey just has grossgrain going 6-8 inches out from the corner to distribute the forces.

Nice work BTW.
    "Mountains should be climbed with as little effort as possible and without desire. ... To live only for some future goal is shallow. It’s the sides of the mountain that sustain life, not the top. Here's where things grow." - Robert M. Pirsig

Subscribe to my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/PaCampingDad

Will these tie outs work?

Quote Originally Posted by doogie View Post
    Seems like overkill to me, but it should work fine. I have made 4 tarps so far and have never bothered to bind the edges. I followed the plans that DIY Gear Supply has on their site and just use 3/4 grossgrain to connect the D ring or triangle to the tarp and use a small piece of heavier fabric to distribute the forces. Fronkey just has grossgrain going 6-8 inches out from the corner to distribute the forces.

Nice work BTW.
    The person im making the tarp for wanted grosgrain edging, which is fine because it's honestly easier with my binding foot than doing a rolled hem. And I thought the webbing was overkill... It feels overkill when you touch it as well lol. Thanks!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    DIY
    Images
    http://www.questoutfitters.com/narro...s.htm#WEBBING- NYLON

#2029 . 3/4" lightweight nylon webbing. A little heavier than grosgrain...makes nice tie-outs.

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    +1 on the grosgrain binding not being necessary - only add's weight, and complexity to the project IMO.

The only change I would make would be to sandwich the tarp between the webbing for the tie out. Also, webbing is probably overkill - grosgrain ribbon should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston View Post
    +1 on the grosgrain binding not being necessary - only add's weight, and complexity to the project IMO.

The only change I would make would be to sandwich the tarp between the webbing for the tie out. Also, webbing is probably overkill - grosgrain ribbon should be fine.
    I understand that but like I said the person I'm making the tarp for requested grosgrain edges and I have a rotary even foot that has a binding attachment that makes it super easy to attach grosgrain very quickly. I wasn't sure if I should sandwich the tarp with the actual tie out or not so thank you! I understand I'm adding weight by attaching the grosgrain but my buddy wanted it and he bought the 10 yds of sil and all the other supplies for me to make it. I told him he bought too much for just one tarp but he said I could keep anything extra!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly/ Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG down/DIY
    Suspension
    Various
    Images
    The grosgrain binding is nice. I did it to my diy tarp. I don't know what everyone's problem is with grosgrain. OES tarps were one of the most popular and they had grosgrain edging. I think it has a better look, as well as more durable than plain hemmed edges.
    RON

A tree's a tree. How many more do you need to look at? ~ Ronald Reagan

Visit my Youtube channel- Florida Wild

Hammock
    DIY XL hyperD 11'
    Tarp
    diy gen2 silpoly
    Insulation
    diy UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    that'll most definitely work and he should be happy with it for quite a while to come. youre a lucky bugger with him buying to much and letting you keep the extra. I definitely agree that its a little overkill but ive been known to do that myself quite often (1.9oz DL hammock for example) and I always like to know that itll hold up to whatever I can throw at it. very nice work.

Quote Originally Posted by hangNyak View Post
    The grosgrain binding is nice. I did it to my diy tarp. I don't know what everyone's problem is with grosgrain. OES tarps were one of the most popular and they had grosgrain edging. I think it has a better look, as well as more durable than plain hemmed edges.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bladerunner View Post
    that'll most definitely work and he should be happy with it for quite a while to come. youre a lucky bugger with him buying to much and letting you keep the extra. I definitely agree that its a little overkill but ive been known to do that myself quite often (1.9oz DL hammock for example) and I always like to know that itll hold up to whatever I can throw at it. very nice work.
    Thanks guys for the responses! I'm going to tame it down a bit and use 3/4" grosgrain with the tarp sandwiched between instead of the 1" webbing. Hangnyak when you used grosgrain to bind the edges of your tarp did you hem the sil under the grosgrain or just place the cut edge against the ribbon?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly/ Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG down/DIY
    Suspension
    Various
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kpi890 View Post
    Thanks guys for the responses! I'm going to tame it down a bit and use 3/4" grosgrain with the tarp sandwiched between instead of the 1" webbing. Hangnyak when you used grosgrain to bind the edges of your tarp did you hem the sil under the grosgrain or just place the cut edge against the ribbon?
    I used 1" grosgrain and I folded it in half and ironed it. This made it very easy to just sandwich the material with it, no hem needed.
    RON

A tree's a tree. How many more do you need to look at? ~ Ronald Reagan

Visit my Youtube channel- Florida Wild

• + New Posts