Warbonnet Blackbird, 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing w/ rings

Another spontaneous overnighter

Similar to sir n0thing's recent trip, I just went on a spontaneous overnighter last night. I had no plans for the night, TV didn't sound appealing, so I decided to try out some of my new gear.

I made a short drive to Lake Kegonsa State Park (Wisconsin). I was busy during the day yesterday, so I didn't get there until dinner time. Here was my gear:

Warbonnet Blackbird (1.7 double)
    MacCat Delux tarp in Spinn
    Warbonnet Yeti underquilt (3 season version)
    Walmart CCF pad (cut for under my legs)
    Speer TopBlanket

This was my first overnight outside hang, and my first experience with my new tarp and quilts. Set up was surprisingly fast, although I did set up the hammock before the tarp. I'd really like to get used to doing it in the reverse order so that I'm ready in case of rain. I was really pleased with how easy it was to pitch the tarp nice and tight. Excellence.

It did take me a little time to get to sleep despite how comfortable it was. I expect that that won't be the case after a long day of hiking. I did have to adjust the yeti a few times (especially whenever I moved around a bit), but it was pretty easy. It got down to the mid 50's or so and I was a little warm, if anything. In skivies and T-shirt, nonetheless. Sockless and hatless.

I can't rave enough about all of the products I used. I know they are each pretty popular, but I'd like to add my voice to the choir of praise. Top notch quality in every case!

If testing out that gear wasn't enough, it was also a field test for my first alcohol stove I made a cat can stove, similar to the one on http://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/Super...Super_Cat7.htm
    I just used it to boil some water in my GSI Tea Kettle. It worked OK, but I think I made too many holes. Next time I'll make fewer/smaller holes. There were some blue flames, but yellow flames persisted throughout the burn. Sorry, I don't have any pictures of the stove burning.

For my meal, I made some Ramen noodles (without the spice pack) and added a Sun-Bird Hot & Spicy Szechwan seasoning pack. Well, I added about half the pack to 2 packs of Ramen which was plenty. Next time I might even add a little less of the seasoning pack (maybe 1/3rd per 2 packs of Ramen). It was pretty good (and a good level of spiciness for me). Definitely a better flavor than the included Ramen spice packs, for sure.

I'm (hopefully) attaching some pictures I took. Enjoy!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Rab Quantum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Nice! What did you think of the park? It's only about 30 minutes from me, I've often thought about checking it out.

I have a Supercat clone stove as well, but so far have only tried it out on my front sidewalk.

What size did you cut your CCF pad to?
    "I know the feeling - It is the real thing - You can't refuse the embrace!" | "Go n-éirí an bóthar leat."

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing w/ rings
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_n0thing View Post
    Nice! What did you think of the park? It's only about 30 minutes from me, I've often thought about checking it out.

I have a Supercat clone stove as well, but so far have only tried it out on my front sidewalk.

What size did you cut your CCF pad to?
    The park was nice, from what I saw. I didn't explore the park other than my campsite since I had to go to work early this morning. My campsite (#29) was OK, except for the fact that it was pretty close to a road. Too close, IMO. Not a lot of traffic, but enough to occasionally remind me that I wasn't in the middle of nowhere. Maybe some of the other sites would be better.

I cut my pad to 26 inches long. I also cut one of the corners so that it could fit into the footbox better.

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Rab Quantum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Thanks for the info. I hate that as well, being reminded that I'm not actually out in the wilderness...hehe.

How crowded was it? I imagine this time of year the crowds should be diminishing. Looking at the park map I'd probably see if I could get site #22, one of the non-reservable sites.
    "I know the feeling - It is the real thing - You can't refuse the embrace!" | "Go n-éirí an bóthar leat."

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing w/ rings
    The campground was pretty full. In fact, all the reservable sites were occupied. When I got there - admittedly pretty late - there were 3 non-reservable sites left. I think they were #21, #22, and #29 if my memory serves me correctly.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Nice gear! You WI fellers really drop the dime and get the good stuff right away.. (I am lumping you in with my buddy Wander'nFool who also got a BB, MacCat, Yeti, and such) Smart move as you know you will get it eventually.
    It is good to get out and practice out of the backyard .... makes one commit more.
    Thanks for the report.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing w/ rings
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Nice gear! You WI fellers really drop the dime and get the good stuff right away.. (I am lumping you in with my buddy Wander'nFool who also got a BB, MacCat, Yeti, and such) Smart move as you know you will get it eventually.
    It is good to get out and practice out of the backyard .... makes one commit more.
    Thanks for the report.
    Shug
    Well, I live in an apartment complex with no suitable trees/supports so I really don't have much of a choice. Lake Kegonsa is one of the closest legal places to camp for me. If anyone knows of any places to hang overnight near Madison that are legal/stealth-safe, I'd be interested.

• + New Posts