Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Completed First DIY Tarp

Finished my first tarp. I appreciate all the advice I received on the site.

Set it up today for first test. It's not perfect. I definitely learned some lessons and developed some skills that will help me for round two. It was originally 144" x 120" after having some construction problems on the ridgeline, finished size is 144 x 96. Use 1.1 oz silnylon from RSBTR. Finished weight w/o lines is 24oz.

Had it set up in 15-20 mph winds today, figured it would be a decent gauge for durability. Left it up for 2 hours. Outside of the stakes coming lose in the muddy ground, tarp seems structurally sound.

The beauty of having a wife who camps with me is, I get to make everything twice.

Edit: Dont know why pics loaded twice. and yes, I live in an apartment, the only decent trees are 25 feet apart, and right next to the road. Not ideal, but I spend a lot of time hanging there and no one bothers me.
    IMG_20150321_103000217.jpgIMG_20150321_103000217.jpgIMG_20150321_104442978.jpgIMG_20150321_104442978.jpgIMG_20150321_104437503.jpgIMG_20150321_104605498_HDR.jpg

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    Zeppelin and sb
    Suspension
    Amsteel UCRs
    Images
    That looks great. You obviously done a good job of saving it after the rl issues.

I'm a little surprised at the weight though... I've got 2 tarps with the same fabric and a the winter tarp (11ft rl x 10ft wide) with doors, changing diygs plans to have more space weighed in under 16oz in a cuben stuff sack.

Thanks! Yea, i tried to really practice some patience when redoing the ridge. In regards to the weight, I am not using a digital scale, I am using a decade old food scale, so that is an approximation. Along with the sil i used 12 patches of 300d nylon for re-enforcements, I used 12 6" pieces of 1" GG ribbon for tieouts + plastic triangles. I also used a GG ridgeline. I imagine those elements added an easy few oz to the weight.

after I get some experience and test the durability of this model, I will decide what is really necessary and practical for round two. I'd like my second attempt to be under 20 oz. but durable enough and large enough for winter trips in northern MI.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Man you did a sweet job on that.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

http://dutchwaregear.com

Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)

Dutch,

Thanks man. I had a goal of having a complete DIY set up by summer time, but I have already altered that and decided to supplement it with one of your argon hammocks. I will be ordering soon.

Great looking tarp! I'm in the process of making my first tarp as well and I am using a grosgrain ridgeline too. Is there anyway you could take some closeups of your tie outs at the ridgeline? I'm weighing out a few different options on how to do ridgeline tie outs with the grosgrain. Thanks and great job!

KPI,

I have it all packed up for today, but I am going to hang tomorrow so I will be sure to snap some pictures of my ridgeline.

You may remember, last week I posted about the problems I had with my GG ridgeline. I am still new to sewing and I am starting to better under stand the interplay between the elements of top tension, bobbin tension, and presser foot pressure. I did a lot of experimenting this week and while it is hard to correlate with so many variables, I will list the three things I think helped me improve my GG ridge the second time around.

#1. I think most of the puckering and bunching problems I had were from too great of presser foot pressure. I have an old machine, and this is adjustable, but it is just a big screw that turns about 15 full rotations, there is no way to quantify pressure. I think I have a more proper pressure now.

#2. I was using a seam foot for most of the tarp, because I like the increased visibility for me to see what is happening, this helped a lot for the hems and tie outs. But, this foot does not "walk" as well as my general purpose foot. I think using the general purpose foot helped spread the pressure when I had the 2 layers of sil and the folded GG going through.

#3. I had my bobbin tension all jacked up. Again, I am new to the machine, and when i first started, I had to do all kinds of trouble shooting when I got threads all jumbled up in the machine with beginner mistakes. I watched some videos, learned how to correct the bobbin tension and also learned enough to know that I shouldn't ever really need to adjust this. Now that I have it corrected, I will not be touching this.

Quote Originally Posted by Japhy Ryder View Post
    KPI,

I have it all packed up for today, but I am going to hang tomorrow so I will be sure to snap some pictures of my ridgeline.

You may remember, last week I posted about the problems I had with my GG ridgeline. I am still new to sewing and I am starting to better under stand the interplay between the elements of top tension, bobbin tension, and presser foot pressure. I did a lot of experimenting this week and while it is hard to correlate with so many variables, I will list the three things I think helped me improve my GG ridge the second time around.

#1. I think most of the puckering and bunching problems I had were from too great of presser foot pressure. I have an old machine, and this is adjustable, but it is just a big screw that turns about 15 full rotations, there is no way to quantify pressure. I think I have a more proper pressure now.

#2. I was using a seam foot for most of the tarp, because I like the increased visibility for me to see what is happening, this helped a lot for the hems and tie outs. But, this foot does not "walk" as well as my general purpose foot. I think using the general purpose foot helped spread the pressure when I had the 2 layers of sil and the folded GG going through.

#3. I had my bobbin tension all jacked up. Again, I am new to the machine, and when i first started, I had to do all kinds of trouble shooting when I got threads all jumbled up in the machine with beginner mistakes. I watched some videos, learned how to correct the bobbin tension and also learned enough to know that I shouldn't ever really need to adjust this. Now that I have it corrected, I will not be touching this.
    You're not alone! Haha I had a few days straight adjusting all the tensions and finally got them all right and boy was it a relief! I have a thread here that shows the rotary even foot and it works perfect for binding grosgrain and rolling hems.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...d.php?t=106774
    In the video I had some tension issues with my machine at the time which have all been sorted out now, but the presser foot is a tractor style foot and it moves layers of sil along very well. Whenever you can get some close ups of your tie outs that would be great. Again, good looking tarp!

Hammock
    DIY BB clone (in work)
    Tarp
    DIY winter tarp
    Insulation
    DIY primaloft UG
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    The tarp looks very nice and perfectly sewn. There is only one point which I would try to make a bit different and this are the side panel pulls. I think I will try to make the reinforcement peaces for my side panel pulls SF-stylish too.

Hammock
    DIY "The Crippler"
    Tarp
    "Cuben Refugee"
    Insulation
    DIY "The Ex-gf"
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    That looks great! Awesome job dude.

Fronkey