Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Bugs?, try making your own Punkie Dope, 3 parts pine tar 2 parts castor oil 1 part pennyroyal, simmer in a metal can and bottle, you'd only need 2-3 oz , apply to skin to make glaze or varnish and leave it. Touch up as needed.

Hammock
    Speer
    Tarp
    Speer
    Insulation
    Ray Jardine quilt
    Suspension
    Rings & Straps
    Pop over to bwca.com, scroll to the bottom of the main message board page and hit the "Public Special Interest Groups and Private Groups" link. Join the BWCA Hanging group.

My son guided at NTier last year (and again this year). He used his hammock about half of his summer. He didnt have any problem finding spots but he did not have any treks in burn areas.

Bugs? Many companies offer good bug net protection for your hammock either built in such as Hennessey or as an add-on. Eagle Nest Outfitters and Dutchwearegear.com both off good generic solutions.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk UL
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    Down TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Straps-biner-sling
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    If you are worried about the sil tarp make or buy one made out of polyurethane coated nylon. The lighter coating will be fine with reasonable care. The heavy weight coating will be fine for anything but gross stupid. ;-) They were the standard light weight materials before sil.

I have used fleece for a blanket and it works. OTOH I do not think it will do 40 deg or lower in a package you want to trip with. I would take a layer of fleece as in 6 or 7 feet off the roll, no finishing required. I would also take either a poncho liner or a down lightweight quilt. That will give you 3 options for top layers depending on the temp. Put the fleece close to you and the fluffy on the outside so it is not crushed.

FWIW if you want to get creative with the fleece try adding a button to make it into a cape for cool nights. I'd use a binder clip to see if I liked the idea then maybe make a button hole and add a big button or toggle. Maybe never get to the button. ;-)
    Thanks for the tips, I love the cape idea!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12