Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Images

Turkeys

Not in a hammock, and no match for birds of prey, but thrilling none the less. I was brand new into backpacking, ans was camped just a few feet from the edge of a cliff, the edge of the Mogollon Rim in the Ponderosa Pine forest of Northern AZ. The sun was rising. I reached out of the vestibule of my North Face Westwind tent and fired up my new MSR stove, and was enjoying coffee while still inside my bad. As I gazed out over the cliff, a large flock of turkeys flew in from somewhere, and lodged in the trees around me, mostly trees growing right out of the cliff face. Then they started "talking". They were there a good while, oblivious to my presence just a short distance from them. It remains quite a memory. One of many powerful outdoor and wildlife memories formed along the Rim.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Now that is amazing! Turkeys are the most wary of all creatures in the forest, and have the best eyesight. They probably sized you up from miles away, and decided you were harmless!
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    DIY bridge, Pertex "Grackle"
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    I was in a pup tent on a ridge in high school and was run over by a turkey in the middle of a midnight thunderstorm. It was terrifying for both animals involved! I had a jumble of wet feathers and nylon squirming around on my face. Afterwards I was so wet that I didn't even bother setting up the tent again.

A young opossum trotted right under my hammock one night last year. That was a great experience and made me wish I'd been hanging when I met that turkey.
    .. truly to enjoy bodily warmth, some small part of you must be cold, for there is no quality in this world that is not what it is merely by contrast. Nothing exists in itself. If you flatter yourself that you are all over comfortable, and have been so a long time, then you cannot be said to be comfortable any more. - Herman Melville

Images
    If there is any good that has come out of the invention of computers it is the websites that have recordings of wildlife sounds. I waited a long time to find out what was making the sounds of the Eastern Screech Owl and the territorial cry of the red fox. Those sounds sent me running for the house many times when I was a kid.
    Sometimes even a Blind Hog finds an Acorn

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Quoddy View Post
    ...,when I noticed that there was an Eastern Screech-Owl perched on the first limb above where the foot of the hammock was attached. I was about four feet away and eventually got within three feet before it moved to where the head end was attached. I've never been this close to an owl before and can only figure that it was interested in or curious about the Warbonnet BB.
    WOW Quoddy! What a magical moment that must have been!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12