Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Images
    basically the difference between the backpacker and the hyperlite is that the hyperlight is made of 1.1 oz ripstop, and the ulbp is made of 1.9 oz. i'm pretty sure that's the case.

i personally have noticed with hammocks i have made myself, that 1.1, since it's lighter, will stretch more. the result is that my butt sags a little lower and i do not lay quite as flat as a 1.9 oz. (not too big of a deal for me), but the extra stretch does also cause more shoulder squeeze than the 1.9's. my 1.9 hammocks were only 5 oz heavier than a 1.1 version (for a 10'x5' hammock) if i recall. the difference in stretch/sag/squeeze isn't drastic, but i can tell the difference, and others have noticed similar differences between the two different weights. this is why i definately prefer a 1.9oz hammock when it comes to comfort. you have to decide if that's worth giving up to save a few oz.

the best thing to do would be to try them out side by side and see if you can tell a difference. maybe someone will let you borrow their hyperlight, and you could borrow your friend's ulbp.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    basically the difference between the backpacker and the hyperlite is that the hyperlight is made of 1.1 oz ripstop, and the ulbp is made of 1.9 oz. i'm pretty sure that's the case.

i personally have noticed with hammocks i have made myself, that 1.1, since it's lighter, will stretch more. the result is that my butt sags a little lower and i do not lay quite as flat as a 1.9 oz. (not too big of a deal for me), but the extra stretch does also cause more shoulder squeeze than the 1.9's. my 1.9 hammocks were only 5 oz heavier than a 1.1 version (for a 10'x5' hammock) if i recall. the difference in stretch/sag/squeeze isn't drastic, but i can tell the difference, and others have noticed similar differences between the two different weights. this is why i definately prefer a 1.9oz hammock when it comes to comfort. you have to decide if that's worth giving up to save a few oz.

the best thing to do would be to try them out side by side and see if you can tell a difference. maybe someone will let you borrow their hyperlight, and you could borrow your friend's ulbp.
    From someone who's had both hammocks, I'd say that's true.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlight
    Tarp
    Hennessy Poly Hex
    Insulation
    DIY and JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I'd have to agree about the hyperlight and ULB comfort since I too own both now. It took me a bit to get comfortable with the hyperlight although I never attributed it to stretch. What I noticed was that i kept sliding down and popping open the velcro closure. I learned to fix this by hanging my feet higher, but I never had troubles with the Backpacker model when hung level.

And I've reported before the purple Ultralight backpacker that I bought on the odd/ends sale turned out to be lighter than the hyperlight anyway! Oh well. I've been very happy with the service and I consider my money well spent.

Oh, and I'm a big time yuppie. I've got my member card right here . . . somewhere.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12