Hammock
    Hennessy Ultralite Explorer
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and EE UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Tarp Suggestions for Hennessy Ultralite Explorer

Okay folks, so with my new Hennessy Ultralite Explorer I think that I will want some additional protection that the standard tarp does not offer. What tarps would you suggest that I try for my hammock? I think I have it narrowed down to 3 options, but I also haven't done quite enough browsing yet either. I am think either the WB Edge, the Maccat Deluxe, or a DIY sil-nylon tarp. The DIY, with the quick numbers I ran, would barely be cheaper than the edge, it seems, for the size of tarp that I was going to make. Cuben Fiber is, at the moment, out of the question due to finances so don't even suggest any cuben tarps. Thank you and hopefully I'll find some other suitable suggestions offered here.

Hammock
    DL Streamliner
    Tarp
    Toxaway w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB or HG UQs
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    From what I understand, DIY is never much cheaper the first time around, if not in actual costs, at least when you figure in your time. Up to you what your time is worth and if you have it to spend. Otherwise, the two tarps you mention are similar in quality, though the Maccat is bigger. Lots of other makes that are essentially the same thing - hex tarp with varying degrees of difference in the specs. Arrowhead Equipment and Wilderness Logics are the two that come to mind first, but you also might check out SimplyLightDesigns.com and their "Get Up & Get Outdoors" section.
    "haamoocker" - its my Ikea name

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.0
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    20 Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    Search for OES on the forum and read about the many complaints re delivery times. They used to be the most popular tarp maker but apparently they couldn't keep up with the demand. In my opinion, their tarps are also overbuilt and heavier than they need to be. Given the choices, I would go with the WB Edge. You might want to consider going with the WB Mamajamba, though, if you plan on using it in spring and fall, too. The Edge is a great little tarp, but in really bad weather you need to be a lot more careful on how to set it up.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer UL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Dream
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/JCP TQ
    Suspension
    WS/MSH
    Images
    Depending on your ability, DIY is way cheaper. If you look in my gallery, you will see my DIY Winter Dream over my HH UL Explorer. It is great, has survived snow storms and rain without issue. I got the material at Walmart for $1/yd, and it is great material. The doors are good, and being able to take the sides of the tarp all the way to the ground and still have enough room to move around inside is worth the additional weight if it storms or is very cold. I highly recommend the design, and you can get the design instructions for free off their website.

Hammock
    HH UL Explorer
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    BA Q core SL pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Buckle
    Images
    I have used a Silnylon Hennessy Hex Tarp with my Explorer for about 10 years. I have been dry in storms and cool on hot calm days. I rolled the tarp and hammock to slide in a snake skin with no instances of a wet tarp transferring water to the hammock.

I also second the hex fly, great coverage and cost efficient.

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL 2Q zip
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Sil
    Insulation
    Te-wa standard
    Suspension
    JRB Whoopies
    Images
    I like my MacCat DLX but I've had it for years. The newer version is supposed to be lighter. Brian has been in the cottage industry since he was in high school and makes a top-notch product. The stresses of grad school, a home business, and whatever else kind of ran him down for a while I think. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

My MacCat kept me dry in the nastiest storm I've ever been in and came through without any damage. YMMV