Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet SuperFly
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Straps

Just placed my order

After much research, reading and a tonne of video watching and re-watching I have decided on the WBB XLC and the Super Fly. I never thought I would spend twice as much for a single person shelter than I did for a 3 person shelter but it's done and I sure I hope it is as comfortable as advertised.

No under quilt yet. I'm going to try it with a pad at first and wait til next year to buy an under quilt. I am still not sure why the under quilts are so much money. They are like half a sleeping bag with no zipper but twice the price.

Hammock
    2 Blackbird XLC 1.7 DL SL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IncubatorSniveller
    Suspension
    Standard Warbonnet
    I did much the same as you've done deciding on the best hammock and tarp. There are lots of options and satisfied customers but I'll bet you're pleased with your choices. I was and am.

I also troubled over the expense of underquilts. Would I get value, what design, full length, 3/4, torso. I didn't want to make a bad choice given the relative cost. My wife would have killed me if I said I'd just spent several hundred $ and didn't like it and needed to get another.

My advice is to start out the way you're doing. Nothing wrong with a pad for now. I did and gained useful knowledge of how to use the other equipment items I'd purchased without the distraction of attempting to properly use an underquilt.

You can get a lot of help contacting our cottage vendor underquilt folks. Call them, explain what you've learned about hanging and how you plan on using their equipment going forward. I ended up talking with three vendors each giving me genuine help. My underquilt and top quilt purchased from different vendors are worth the expense, but I wouldn't have appreciated that as much if I hadn't started out as you're proposing. I've found both types to be highly engineered to do a job and not simply a standard off the shelf sleeping bag. Good luck and hope your first few hangs are good ones.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Nice setup. Did it right from the start IMO. Doesn't hurt to try a pad to start and go from there.

I'm guessing UQs are so expensive due to the smaller shops making them. If a huge company like Marmot started making them, I'm sure a $300 model would be closer to $199 since they can make it up in volume and possibly some more automation. The two sleeping bags I have from them were about $180 and $320 on sale!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    dyna-whoopies
    Down is very expensive. You would spend more buying an eno (the big hammock brand) UQ than getting one of higher quality from one of the cottage vendors. I've looked into diy UQs and good quality down is just down right expensive.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    0 Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I was in the same position this year and decided to wait on a down UQ until another year. However, the price of the DD Hammocks synthetic UQ is not too bad compared to a nice hand crafted one from the US. I think it ended up being about $140 CAN total after you factor in the exchange rate with the UK and the import taxes.

I do have to agree with the above poster...great choices. That's what I went with too! I'm not a big fan of buying a whole bunch of upgrades. So I went big from the get-go. I've had quite enough of sleeping on the ground to last a liftime.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet SuperFly
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Straps
    Initially when I put in the order I was under the impression it would take a week to make, but alas I got notification today it was shipping. Now I am excited.

Hammock
    Warbonnect BB XLC
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Excellent choice on hammock and tarp. I own the same and did the same as you - did a pas initially. Got a top and bottom quilt and love hanging even more now.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet SuperFly
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Straps
    Crap! The hammock is in, but......I only get mail here from the post office, and I missed the closing time of 5 AND they are closed tomorrow for the holiday. So the hammock is here, but I can't get it.

Also the notice says I owe $70 on customs. Not sure why but this hammock better be worth it because it cost me close to $550. $380ish at the checkout x 1.25 exchange + $70 = $545. That's more than my mortgage payment.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty, Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Edge, Noah 12
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Straps / Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Langford View Post
    Crap! The hammock is in, but......I only get mail here from the post office, and I missed the closing time of 5 AND they are closed tomorrow for the holiday. So the hammock is here, but I can't get it.

Also the notice says I owe $70 on customs. Not sure why but this hammock better be worth it because it cost me close to $550. $380ish at the checkout x 1.25 exchange + $70 = $545. That's more than my mortgage payment.
    I feel your pain. That's truly a bummer.
    "Everything works if you let it." - Corpus C. Redfish

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    0 Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Langford View Post

Ya that's our lovely customs..you pay tax on something made in another country...as though that business can claim taxes for it to our government. Mine was close to that I suppose...$64 in HST at the post office. It was $330 on checkout though so you must have gotten some other upgrades with yours.

Oh and it IS worth it...totally.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast