Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    The place to start and refer back to as needed, is the sewing machine's user's manual. Read it, follow it, refer back to it and you will be well on your way.

Hammock
    1.7SL WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20° TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Spiders/Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    The place to start and refer back to as needed, is the sewing machine's user's manual. Read it, follow it, refer back to it and you will be well on your way.
    Interestingly, I didn't find the sewing machine manual to be much help. It told me how to operate the machine, but gave no guidance beyond. There was no "a bobbin is..." or "use a straight stitch when...". It seemed geared toward people who already knew the basics of sewing.

But no worries... there are tons of resources out there. Your search can pretty much start and end on Youtube.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    5 years old at my mom's Singer turning the fly wheel by hand. She wouldn't let me use the motor until I was much older. I made about a bazillion bean bags.
    Sixty years later I am now allowed to run my own machine with the motor.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by ufdigga View Post
    Interestingly, I didn't find the sewing machine manual to be much help. It told me how to operate the machine, but gave no guidance beyond.....
    Many of the problems and frustrations people have with sewing goes back to the machine not being set up correctly, improper thread tension, not meticulously cleaning the bobbin area, etc.

Following the manual and getting these basic things right from the start will put a new sewer a step ahead of those that jump in and don't follow instructions.

Hammock
    Several DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Back in elementary school it was mandatory for one year. We had to take what they called a “sewing driving license”. We started with threading the machines and then moved on to sewing paper after lines moving on to oven mitts …… I can’t remember the last projects its some 40 years ago. I actually made my first hammock back then but it was not a success, made in canvas. Back then I used my mom’s Bernina. It had to be serviced after that project Result, restricted access for a while. Have been sewing a few times a year since but approx 5-6 years ago I started to sew kites and then I moved on to hammocks by coincident. Looking back I should have started with hammocks because kites require more precision in sewing and cutting the fabric otherwise they won’t fly or they spin like h….
    Because a hammock is big doesn’t make it harder but take your time. Look at how you feed the fabric and not the needle. The needle does not change position it just moves up and down but you decide and control the fabric. Never pull or push the fabric but guide it.
    Check out YouTube. There are tons of sewing videos and you don’t have to look for hammock videos its more or less the same technique whatever you are making.

One advise. Don’t start out with the very thin nylon materials. It’s harder to control and may require some machine trimming skills but after a few hours you are on the way. IMO tread tension is the hardest part to learn but there are lots of sources to learn from.
    If there is nothing left to learn it’s time to die.
    Live and learn.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I just jumped right in. It felt pretty weird at first because I felt like I'd done it before. My mother-in-law asked, "Are you sure you haven't sewn? And I said, "nope."

Then I remembered that I was an apprentice to a seamstress for two years. I hated that job. Must have blocked it out of my memory!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre
    Suspension
    DIY straps / Fancy

Sewing, How did you learn to do it?

My mom, then she gave up teaching me because the material was too thin and slippery. So then I learned on my own. However I credit her.
    Last edited by Koolranch; 03-28-2015 at 22:16.

Hammock
    Dutch NylonD 11ft
    Tarp
    Supa fly ;)
    Insulation
    KAQ Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I just jumped right in. It felt pretty weird at first because I felt like I'd done it before. My mother-in-law asked, "Are you sure you haven't sewn? And I said, "nope."

Then I remembered that I was an apprentice to a seamstress for two years. I hated that job. Must have blocked it out of my memory!
    Haha wow, you must have hated that job with a passion.

Hammock
    DIY HyperD XL
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    Whoopies!!!
    Well first I had to Frankenstein two broken machines together(totally different manufacturers). Then I broke a few needles, made a few giant knots with thread (who knew string that small could make a knot that big), and ruined some fabric. Then somewhere along the line everything clicked and things started going really well.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Took a class at the local Community College ( was only male in class ) then practiceed by making lots of stuff sacks and pillows.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast