Hammock
    Dutch NylonD 11ft
    Tarp
    Supa fly ;)
    Insulation
    KAQ Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Lightbulb Sewing, How did you learn to do it?

Sewing... How did you learn to do it? Do you have any resources that you learned from that you could share? Do you have any tips for sewing these different materials, and what type of machine do you use? Are there any specific pros or cons to it regarding trying to DIY hammock stuff.

Hammock
    DIY HyperD 11"
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & down bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob_3D View Post
    Sewing... How did you learn to do it? Do you have any resources that you learned from that you could share? Do you have any tips for sewing these different materials, and what type of machine do you use? Are there any specific pros or cons to it regarding trying to DIY hammock stuff.
    My high school still taught a home economics class while I was there. Part of it was sewing yourself a sweatshirt following a pattern. Technically that's how I learned to sew but I didn't touch a sewing machine for over a decade between then and when I made my first hammock. The operation of a sewing machine is just intuitive to me. Watching this image helped: http://cdn.theatlantic.com/assets/me...orks-98670.gif

Hammock
    Dutch NylonD 11ft
    Tarp
    Supa fly ;)
    Insulation
    KAQ Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by zooshooter View Post
    My high school still taught a home economics class while I was there. Part of it was sewing yourself a sweatshirt following a pattern. Technically that's how I learned to sew but I didn't touch a sewing machine for over a decade between then and when I made my first hammock. The operation of a sewing machine is just intuitive to me. Watching this image helped: http://cdn.theatlantic.com/assets/me...orks-98670.gif
    Wow. That gif just unlocked the secret of sewing machines to me... I can't believe I've never realized that before.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    YouTube videos and practice. HF member Ramblinrev has a series for beginners that is helpful. Research the DIY forum for helpful threads on making gear.
    Last edited by Bubba; 03-27-2015 at 09:11.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    DH Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Superyfly - MJ
    Insulation
    Cave Creek TQ - UQ
    Suspension
    Ti Cinch
    Quote Originally Posted by zooshooter View Post
    High School Home Economics, my project was a tee shirt with ribbed collar and sleeves LOL, also learned how to cook a few things and wash my cloths. Looking back that was one of the most useful classes I took in High School.

Hammock
    11' Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    Just jumped in. The waters warm and not that deep. Seriously, these forums and YouTube are the greatest resources.

Hammock
    WBRR or 11' PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    SpdrPoly Cinch Bug
    Believe it or not, an 8th grade Home Economics class. We had to make a pillow and what is basically a stuff sack, go figure. I got a B out of the class and at the time never thought I'd use that knowledge again, but I've found it's actually a great skill to have. My skills are still very basic, but I do use them to repair/modify gear and clothes a couple times a year and I've done a few basic DIY projects as well.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Just do it! (where have I heard that before?)
    Seriously, I went to Walmart & bought the cheapest machine they had. I don't know anyone that sews. This was years ago before HammockForums and I got enough advice ti get the machine going from fellow members at Backpackinglight. From there is was just practice on a few scraps and then I just jumped in. It really isn't nearly as hard as it looks. Just think of it as just another a power tool.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    My skills are very basic, probably not good enough to actually DIY anything. I don't own and never used a sewing machine.

But I just sort of tried it one day and taught myself.

Going to a private school, we had to wear navy dress pants since 1st grade. I like Dockers but apparently they don't have tape measures in Nicaragua, Haiti or other various countries they're made - so when you buy a 30" inseam, you get either 29", 30" or 31". Being able to hem them myself over the years really saved me a lot. I think they charge $10-15 just to do that at local shops.

Hammock
    DH Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Superyfly - MJ
    Insulation
    Cave Creek TQ - UQ
    Suspension
    Ti Cinch
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    My skills are very basic, probably not good enough to actually DIY anything. I don't own and never used a sewing machine.

But I just sort of tried it one day and taught myself.

Going to a private school, we had to wear navy dress pants since 1st grade. I like Dockers but apparently they don't have tape measures in Nicaragua, Haiti or other various countries they're made - so when you buy a 30" inseam, you get either 29", 30" or 31". Being able to hem them myself over the years really saved me a lot. I think they charge $10-15 just to do that at local shops.
    LOL ... it's not only Dockers. Seems all pants are 32" inseam no matter what the tags says. Have not bought any pants in years that didn't need to be cut down to fit me. My thread injectors have paid for them selfs many times over.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast