Sheltowee Boone 20*
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG TQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    My main tarp is a WL Big Daddy. I haven't gotten wet with it thus far. I recently acquired a full winter tarp, and there were so many guy lines, and pull-outs, that it was kind of annoying. The hex I have four points of contact, and its simpler to set up. If it's going to rain hard, set it low closer to the hammock.
    I think as stated, site selection is critical to hide from the wind. But that goes for any tarp IMO, even if you have huge coverage, if you can hide from the wind, wouldn't you?
    I'd rather be hanging.

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    JRB, CCF pad
    Suspension
    I switch around
    Okay, so I did some science today and took some pics. I am surprised at the results:
    1. Cuben Fiber hex tarp - 11 ft ridge X 8.5 wide (Zpacks model):
    20150401_104213.jpg20150401_104003.jpg

Cuben Fiber in 'storm mode' (one end closed) - it has a center guyout:
    20150401_103927.jpg

2. 8 X 11 diy sinylon -11 ft ridge:
    20150401_111440.jpg20150401_111645.jpg

8X11 in storm mode (one end closed)
    20150401_121237.jpg

Looks to me like the Hex tarp gives plenty of coverage, both in regular and in storm mode. More to point, the 8X11 AND the cf tarp both cover adequately in both modes, with the 8X11 being a tad roomier at the ends. But - in storm mode, my hammock does not touch the 'storm' end, and the hex is enough room if you know how to set it up. correctly. So I like both tarps, the 8X11 gives me a little psychological security, but the CF hex is 11 oz lighter w snakeskins. On the other hand, I don't think about the silnylon tarp being 'fragile' like I do the CF tarp. I am easy on my gear, but worry about briars and cuben....I wonder if not worrying is worth the extra 11 oz?? I'm already pushing the limits of weight at 12-13 base....

Thoughts?
    SLD Streamliner DL
    Cinch, Whoopie/Marlin, whatever
    JRB TQ with CCF underneath
    DIY tarps

"When In Charge, Ponder. When In Trouble, Delegate. And When In Doubt, Mumble."

Hammock
    Dream Dangerbird
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG TQ & UQ 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brancher View Post
    Okay, so I did some science today and took some pics. I am surprised at the results:

20150401_103927.jpg

20150401_121237.jpg

Looks to me like the Hex tarp gives plenty of coverage, both in regular and in storm mode. More to point, the 8X11 AND the cf tarp both cover adequately in both modes, with the 8X11 being a tad roomier at the ends. But - in storm mode, my hammock does not touch the 'storm' end, and the hex is enough room if you know how to set it up. correctly. So I like both tarps, the 8X11 gives me a little psychological security, but the CF hex is 11 oz lighter w snakeskins. On the other hand, I don't think about the silnylon tarp being 'fragile' like I do the CF tarp. I am easy on my gear, but worry about briars and cuben....I wonder if not worrying is worth the extra 11 oz?? I'm already pushing the limits of weight at 12-13 base....

Thoughts?
    I've never seen a "storm mode" on a door-less tarp. Looks awesome! I think I'm sold on the zpacks one. Good price too.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

20150401_103927.jpg

20150401_121237.jpg

Thoughts?
    What's the hammock you are using and more importantly the size.. 10', 11', etc

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    JRB, CCF pad
    Suspension
    I switch around
    I am using an Simply Light Designs (SLD) Trail Lair. It's an 11-ft length, with a fixed SRL which I will not hang without. I love this hammock, 22 oz and has an integrated bug net. So, with my 9.1 ft effective length with ridgeline, the 11-ft cf hex tarp gives me everything i want. In addition, my 8 X 11 rectangular tarp does the same thing, with arguably a little more room at the ends in storms.
    SLD Streamliner DL
    DIY tarps

Hammock
    HH UL Explorer
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    BA Q core SL pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Buckle
    Images
    I have used a Hennessy Hex with an Ultralight Explorer for a decade. I have been in some wild northern midwest storms and never had a water entry problem. I did have water entry problem with the asym tarp. I just pull it down tight on the windward side and ride out the storm.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    I am using an Simply Light Designs (SLD) Trail Lair. It's an 11-ft length, with a fixed SRL which I will not hang without. I love this hammock, 22 oz and has an integrated bug net. So, with my 9.1 ft effective length with ridgeline, the 11-ft cf hex tarp gives me everything i want. In addition, my 8 X 11 rectangular tarp does the same thing, with arguably a little more room at the ends in storms.
    thanks Brancher - that gives some perspective, since a 10' hammock would be a lot easier to cover.

In looking at your setup, it looks like you have some strategically placed loops along the bottom that allows you to close off the tarp for weather.
    Most only have the loop on each end.
    I like the looks of the tarp, especially the zpacks cuben.

I'll stick with my SuperFly for now, since I like to not think about coverage, but I can see the appeal to your setup.

Hammock
    diy, wb xlc
    Tarp
    waterproof
    Insulation
    warm
    Suspension
    nacrawhoopie
    Images
    You may be able to add a guy out point closer to the end of the CF tarp (using CF patches & tape most likely, or stitch & tape over if you're so inclined). This would eliminate the drastic angle in the third pic, and you could probably get away with just needing to storm proof one end (setup your hammock/tarp according to weather conditions).

I second the addition of an UQ protector to the setup, either purpose built or rigging up a pack cover for multi-purpose use. Since they help with wind & ground spray (& warmth too), you can widen your pitch angle a bit and not be so closed in. Also since you have side tieouts, even one pole for the over-the-top setup will make a lot of difference inside the tarp when it comes to changing clothes and having enough space to hang things to air/dry out.

Personally, I hate to backpack with anything other than CF due to the weight savings. If I were thru hiking the AT I would take the CF 8 days a week.
    It is a very alert, active sheep, with a stylish, lively carriage.

Flickr
    YouTube
    I use a Juki & Pfaffs w/ assorted attachments, and have serviced lots of vintage machines. Any questions?

Hammock
    diy insulated 10.5
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    becket hitch
    During warmer weather I use a DIY diamond shaped tarp (11'x9.5' 9oz). It's been great, and while it could be bigger it's never been a problem. Most of the time I hang it high and have it in porch mode.

I've only been surprised by bad weather a couple of times with this tarp, and when that happened I hung it low like @Brancher is showing above. One of the times my underquilt got wet, so I bought one of the Frogg Toggs ponchos ($10 7oz) and added a tie out loop at each of the four corners. I've practiced with it and it can be used as an underquilt protector that I think will work well. Haven't had the chance to test it in bad weather yet, no recent bad weather surprises, but it's so light it's now my rain gear and part of my base pack weight.

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    JRB, CCF pad
    Suspension
    I switch around
    I don't use an underquilt. I generally use a CCF pad between layers, but sometimes I just kill a bear or lion or something and hang it underneath..

..... y'know, to save weight and all....

But if I did need some moisture protection, similar to BrianB, I carry the Frogg Toggs UL suit and a silnylon poncho. The poncho would cover the bottom of my hammock or assist in covering the end if need be. When I hike, all my stuff (empty pack and maybe shoes) just hang from suspension anyway.

As far as an additional pullout near the 'storm' end, Yeah, Ive thought about that - in fact, I installed 'em when I did my green silnylon 8X11 pictured. but on the rectangular tarps you can get away with it more, because of the extra material in the squared corners. If I'm already losing 2 ft of side on each end, then any additional tether would either be too close to the end, making it difficult to close up and still live under it --- Or, it may be too close to the middle pullout, in which case I'd wonder why I put it there in the first place.........still, the weight advantage of the CF hex is not to be ignored.
    Last edited by Brancher; 04-02-2015 at 11:37.
    SLD Streamliner DL
    DIY tarps

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast