Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images

Hammock Horror Stories

I was looking through the Yahoo photos and I saw one where Just Jeff's favorite, most comfortable hammock tore and dropped him on his posterior region. I think he said he now has a crack in his butt.

I was just thinking on how much it would suck to have some sort of catastrophic hammock system failure on a hike which may lead to the horrors of all horrors, sleeping on the ground.

Tell us you hammock horror stories.

Here's the photo.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Read somewhere on White Blaze about a bear rubbing up against the bottom of a hammock while the guy was sleeping. I question the truth of that. Now that would be scary.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Hennessy ULB-A
    Tarp
    OES/McCat Std
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Stock with biners
    didn't get hurt either time, other than my pride, but i've lost two hammock tarps in the rain to my sheer stupidity... both times, i'd set them up over my HH, with poles holding the corners higher... both times, it started raining while i was at work. both times, i came home, looked out, and saw torn silnylon... the 8 x 10 was fixable... the jury's still out on the 'stock tarp' that was my last casualty... hopefully, i will remember to 'tip the roof' next time... hopefully...

by the way, for the "down gets wet" mafia... when the stock tarp let go, it dumped it all in my hammock. my down sleeping bag and down JRB underquilt were left exposed and soaking for about 2 hours... i could comfortably have used both items that night... the bag was only slightly damp in one spot. the underquilt had one compartment (right in the very center) damp... it would probably have created a cold spot under my right butt cheek, but i'd have slept with my small blue foam 'sit pad' under that cheek, and been fine...

god bless Western Mountaineering and "The Jacks", both makers of fine outdoor equipment...

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    Read somewhere on White Blaze about a bear rubbing up against the bottom of a hammock while the guy was sleeping. I question the truth of that. Now that would be scary.
    How high did he have his hammock off the ground? Did he need step ladder to get in his hammock or was it just a really small bear?

If any kind of animal rubbed against the bottom of my hammock while I was sleeping first thing that is going to happen is me crapping myself. If the stench doesn't drive it away my high pitched six-year-old-girl-with-a-skinned-knee screams will.

Images

Failures

I have had one hammock fail (ripped right across the butt area) and dump me on the ground. I was trying to support my 250# butt with two layers of 1.1 oz RS nylon. That was a NO GO but it was at least a controlled fall. The only other failure involved a strap tearing apart right where I made an overstitched (as in too many stitches in too small of an area) bartack. This time I had the hammock about three feet in the air. After lying in it for a few minutes I heard the sound of velco pulling apart very slowly. Then I realized that there was no velcro on this hammock. About that time the strap let go and I hit the ground like a bag of wet cement. I haven't hit the ground that hard since the last time I jumped with a -1B parachute. It knocked the wind out of me. I was lucky, the dog was the only witness and she's not talking... Now I do all my testing at low altitude!

Brian
    T-BACK

Hammock
    Hennessy ULB-A
    Tarp
    OES/McCat Std
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Stock with biners
    Quote Originally Posted by T-BACK View Post
    I haven't hit the ground that hard since the last time I jumped with a -1B parachute.Brian T-BACK
    i don't care who you are, that's funny... (especially we who've used the infamous 'dash 1'...)

Images

Doh!

If you consider one's brain as a part of your overall hammock equipment then my failure qualifies:

I was out for the weekend with the Scouts. We were camping in a pine forest. Most had not seen my HH setup so I decided to demonstrate. I found two trees the right distance apart, set it up and climbed in. Almost immediately I sagged down so my butt was on the ground. I scrambled out to find I had one end tied to a deadfall which had started to come out of the ground at the roots. Fortunately for me it stopped tipping when I hit the ground. I quickly moved my HH away and pushed the tree down all the way. I was shaken....the boys thought it was hilarious.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by T-BACK View Post
    I was lucky, the dog was the only witness and she's not talking...
    Do you guys have those Bush Beans commercials where the dog is selling the secret family recipe?

Bet she even took pics...
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
    i don't care who you are, that's funny... (especially we who've used the infamous 'dash 1'...)
    OK...what's a -1 parachute. I have over 300 jumps and never heard of it. I should add that all my jumping experience has been sport jumping although I have many jumps on military chutes, mostly 28 footers and T-10s. Please enlighten me! Also, all jumps were in the 70s.

Miguel

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    i actualy left my support straps at home one trip. didn`t realize it untill we were setting up camp.
    so... i used the two 3/4" straps that had held my pad to the pack.
    yep... one snaped... droping me on the tree roots. what`s worse, my friends (?) didn`t want me to get up untill they took several pictures <G>
    and i had a 1" wal-mart webbing let me down at home. that wasn`t as funny. i think i chiped a bone in my ebow (hardwood floor). that elbow was sore for months.
    speaking of having to sleep on ground, last dec (05) i was w/ ed speer on mt mitchel, nc when his red hammock (the one on the cover of his book) finaly failed him. i belive he estimates over 5000 hours in that hammock.
    i`m told that he & karen later gave it a proper burial in an undisclosed location.
    ed made it fine for one night on the snow. ...tim

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast