Tarp
    DIY Diamond
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Suspension
    Webbing/Whoopie
    Images

Quarter Weight

Does the Quarter Weight(or Gear Weight) net really work well? If it does, why would I go to all the trouble of attaching and zippers and velcro et cetera?

I just finished my first DIY Hennessey(ish) clone and put a zip on bug net. Came out OK, but I'm wondering if it was really worth the trouble(a real pain since I'm new to sewing).

I have an idea similar to the Quarter Weight that I may try, but if it doesn't work well, I would rather conserve the effort.

Jbo

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    It works, but you don't get the seal you get with a zipper. I never really tried velcro b/c that looks like a pain. It is much easier to sew, but it doesn't look quite as cool IMO.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    DIY Speer-type
    Tarp
    modded SG 12' x12'
    Insulation
    CCF and DAM
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    I use quarterweight nets and I like them. They are KISS approved. I use one in the tropics, and I am sweetmeat for the bugs, and I never get bit. Of course, if I don't apply bug juice before I get out of my hammock, they're all over me like white on rice.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    A sock is another alternative to think about. Sew up a full length tube of netting, install two drawstings, and slide it over the hammock suspension. Tie on a ridgeline to keep netting off of you while in the hammock.

I tried the weighted netting but could not get a good seal, unless I laid perfectly still. Every time I moved the netting had small gaps that let bugs in, not fun.

Some have had success with it, I didn't. Your sewing will get better with practice. Try some smaller projects for a while (stuff sacks, etc.) to get better acquainted with your machine. The right thread and needle for appropiate materials helps alot. And watch Ramblin' Rev's videos for pointers.
    Sewing skils come with time and alot of patience, stick with it and it will become second nature. It is like any other power tool, there alot of do's and don'ts. Good luck.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    DIY bridge, Pertex "Grackle"
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    I use a nickel weighted net on my bridge and it works great. It drapes along the edge and totally shuts off the bugs. I could see that it wouldn't work as well on an asym gathered end hammock. The long edge of a bridge is taught, parabolic, and suspended away from the person in the hammock. This makes the drape very effective. One nickel sewn into each end and one in the middle is all it takes. For an asym hammock you still may have luck with the method, but it seems like you're more likely to have gaps between the net and the hammock since the net doesn't drape as uniformly.
    .. truly to enjoy bodily warmth, some small part of you must be cold, for there is no quality in this world that is not what it is merely by contrast. Nothing exists in itself. If you flatter yourself that you are all over comfortable, and have been so a long time, then you cannot be said to be comfortable any more. - Herman Melville

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    I rigged a bug net out of an old US Army cot bug net. Cut most of it away and used the reinforced post patches to run the ridge line through. I then stitched in straps to secure it to the ends of the ENO's Single Nest.

This is the prototype sketch ... the tie points I ended up stitching that area solid together. The area between the two bottom "tie points" on each side of the hammock ... installed bungee cords and a common cord lock.

Works like a charm. Easy to access and easy to get out of but hugs the hammock perfectly.

The photo shows my lovely daughter Kristi helping me debug the rig. In this shot the bungees are not yet installed but you can see the idea better. I'd also not stitched the ends up yet. You can see the lacing I was using temporarily to secure that end shut. Works better sewn.

Sorry I didn't get a shot of the finished rig ... I was in too big a hurry to get it done and ready for a camping trip!

Oh and the heavy weigh no-see-um in a stuff sack with straps and ridge line weighs 14.2 oz ... so lighter stuff than the old Army netting could cut that in half. But that I already had ... so I used it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Could you not just make the skirt long enough to touch the ground, hose it down with permethrin, and call it good? No zip, no velcro, no nickles, and no bugs.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    Could you not just make the skirt long enough to touch the ground, hose it down with permethrin, and call it good? No zip, no velcro, no nickles, and no bugs.
    Now where'd be the fun in that?

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    DIY Single layer
    Tarp
    Nyl Shwr Crtn Linr
    Insulation
    DIY Down 2/3 UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and Cams
    Images
    seems to me, that an unsecured net might be a problem if it got a little windy.

Slopes

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Slopes View Post
    seems to me, that an unsecured net might be a problem if it got a little windy.

Slopes
    I often use a net like this, weighed down with gear. That keeps it secure no matter how much tossing and turning I do, and even with a brisk wind.

Also - if there's a good wind, that tends to keep the flying insects at bay anyway.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast