View Poll Results: Do you prefer 3/4 or full length underquilts?

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • 3/4

30 29.13%
  • Full

65 63.11%
  • Other (Explain)

8 7.77%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    3/4 above 40, full below.
    I like this as well. But I only hike when lows are 40° and below about 90% of the time, and always below 50°. So a full length makes sense for me.

I really tried to make a 3/4 HG Phoenix work, but when comparing side by side with a full length, it just didn't offer enough weight/bulk reduction to mess with.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    I'm 5'10" tall and using a short size Incubator which fits from just above my shoulders to my heels (so "other" in your poll).
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Dutch Argon 11'
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah
    Insulation
    JRB GL3 + REI bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    Images
    with both I have to fidget and adjust, but the comfort of downy goodness a full length brings...is just...oooh so nice. To backpack in the summer, the 3/4 is the bomb. You don't have to really worry about the feet getting cold, and you don't have to fidget with a pad during the night. For me the foot pad was a struggle to stay comfortable.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl & XLC
    Tarp
    Big MJ & Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti & 2 Wookies
    Suspension
    Stock straps
    Images
    3 Season Yeti with a winter Yeti on the way. I am playing with the idea that most of the year the 3 season Yeti would be adequate, but in winter I want to try using them both. Seems like I have more options available for the money invested. I know the a full sized zero degree underquilt could be the cat's meow in winter, but the way I currently see it, represents another $100 plus.

I think the there is no way that pads could compete with using the 3 season Yeti for the lower body. Then the winter Yeti (+ 1 ounce) for the upper torso.
    Going to find out for sure.
    Although I would love to try hanging with a zero incubator in winter, the bulk involved might be a concern. I enjoy playing with my hammock toys.

Hammock
    pick one
    Tarp
    large, Mia palace
    Insulation
    anything warm
    Suspension
    tree or poles
    In the SW desert majority of the time my 3/4 plus (60"). If cold AHE New River long or stack the 3/4. Colder yet which might
    happen 2 months out the year Exped dreamwalker peapod set up. As you can see I have alot of options depending on weather. Summer
    no way just a sheet if one even finds me outdoors at 105 plus.

DW.jpg
    Last edited by arczeneb; 03-31-2015 at 15:41.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Here's a side-by-side I did with a 20° Phoenix and Incubator when I was trying to decide. Keep in mind there is less down in the bottom protion of the Incubator, so that takes up less volume than you may think.

I sleep fairly warm and when I overheat I like to vent my feet so 3/4 helps.

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.6
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I know you've already bought a quilt, but I figure it cant hurt to add on to all the info. I have a 3/4 and im short so it works for me, almost as a full would for you. If I was taller I would prob go with a full size. I tried using a pad that I have from when I was a "ground dweller". It kept the heat in, however it was incredibly uncomfortable. My hammock is dual layer so the pad fits in between the layers and doesn't really move around much but it really doesn't compare to the quilt.

Hammock
    WBBB DL Multicam XLC, Roo
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG Custom
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    As an extremely cold sleeper, I only use full-length underquilts. A full-length underquilt will always provide more (consistent) warmth.

Which underquilt will be best for you depends.

If you sleep cold, you might want to consider a full-length uq. If you sleep warm or hot, you might not benefit a lot from a full-length uq.
    If you already carry a sit pad, a partial uq will save you weight.
    If you move a lot in your sleep, a full-length uq will be easier to use, since it doesn't slip like a sit pad does.

In my opinion, the only real reason to go with a partial underquilt is to save weight and volume. In all other categories, a full-length underquilt wins.
    Thanks for this. I plan to order a full length.

Hammock
    DIY Hammocks
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    My first underquilt was a DYI Insultex that is about 48" x 60". When you use the good old Pythagorean Theorem, it works out to 76" on the diagonal. I'm 6'2" and can just get my heals inside the corner when laying on the diagonal. This works pretty good for temps down to 40 degrees.

My cold weather quilt is a 3/4 length ~25 degree down quilt (I bought the shell and filled it myself). Unless I am curling up, then I need a pad under my feet in cold weather. I don't tend to stay stretched out all night, so this works pretty well. I live in the South, so we don't get too many nights much below freezing, so this is also a factor in opting for the shorter form factor. If I spent time in colder climates, then I would go for the full length.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast