10.5" DIY 1.0 HyperD Lime Green
    Tarp
    DIY 11'4
    Insulation
    DIY 850 up/under
    Suspension
    Dutch bling Whoopi

Pemi Loop This Summer

Looking to do the Pemi loop before the end of summer. Would prefer to do it during the week to avoid the herds. But would consider a weekend.

Perhaps start the Monday after the kayak/canoe trip June 6-8!!!

I really don't care when I just want to get it done before the fall.

Hammock
    WBRR, Dutch
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Assorted JRB, DIY
    Suspension
    Whooooopie!
    Sintax77 did a nice trip video of the hike. Looks awesome!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SF9qlWNjo9I
    Always last to the camp site.

nice! I'm looking to do a sort of extended pemi loop in early-mid september. Spent sometime eyeballing the maps this weekend.
    ...Tell me no lies, make me a happy man ...

Hammock
    10.5" DIY 1.0 HyperD Lime Green
    Tarp
    DIY 11'4
    Insulation
    DIY 850 up/under
    Suspension
    Dutch bling Whoopi
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaTrees View Post
    nice! I'm looking to do a sort of extended pemi loop in early-mid september. Spent sometime eyeballing the maps this weekend.
    What we're you thinking about extended?

Ha, well I spent all kinds of time looking at different routes and extra peaks yesterday. First off I'm thinking counterclockwise. The major modification would be instead of starting and ending at Lincoln Woods; I would start at the hairpin turn on the Kanc so I could add the hancocks then camp just before you start heading up the bonds. That way you don't have to do the boring part at the beginning near Lincoln Woods twice. Got some other ideas too depending on how many days/nights I want to make it. Seems like water can be a problem depending on itinerary.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock - Darien
    Tarp
    HG 11' Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Ha, well I spent all kinds of time looking at different routes and extra peaks yesterday. First off I'm thinking counterclockwise. The major modification would be instead of starting and ending at Lincoln Woods; I would start at the hairpin turn on the Kanc so I could add the hancocks then camp just before you start heading up the bonds. That way you don't have to do the boring part at the beginning near Lincoln Woods twice. Got some other ideas too depending on how many days/nights I want to make it. Seems like water can be a problem depending on itinerary.
    JoshuaTrees,
    The Pemi Loop is a great trip and counter clockwise is my favorite direction. You mention coming in from the Hancock's to the Bonds which is a great addition but I will caution, if you are looking at old maps the bridge over the Pemi is no longer there. The river can be crossed but only during low water times. If you encounter high water you will need to head back to Lincoln Woods to cross over to the North side.

Hammock
    Draumr or Sierra Madre
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    lots of down
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    We've done it! It is worth the effort for sure. Very little water from Garfield to Liberty as an FYI and vice versa. Guyout to the Bonds is the best part I think.
    Megan
    In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer. [Albert Camus]

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie/Sub'Kilo
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Adding Hancock Notch is a great idea... if you have time you might wan to go even further and head upstream from on the Pemi from Cedar Brook, going via Stillwater Junction, Shoal Pond, and Thoreau Falls. That whole section is fairly flat, but pretty wild most of the way and really pretty.

Funny.... I much prefer clockwise because that way I think the views are better both going north on Franconia Ridge and south through the Bonds.

great trip either way!
    Add life to your years!

Quote Originally Posted by Woody_NH View Post
    JoshuaTrees,
    The Pemi Loop is a great trip and counter clockwise is my favorite direction. You mention coming in from the Hancock's to the Bonds which is a great addition but I will caution, if you are looking at old maps the bridge over the Pemi is no longer there. The river can be crossed but only during low water times. If you encounter high water you will need to head back to Lincoln Woods to cross over to the North side.
    Thanks for the heads up, I did not realize that. Would late summer/early fall be considered a low water time of year?

Hammock
    Dream Hammock - Darien
    Tarp
    HG 11' Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Thanks for the heads up, I did not realize that. Would late summer/early fall be considered a low water time of year?
    JoshuaTrees,

yes that is the ideal time. I typically hike solo so I am very cautious crossing this river, I have had good luck down by the Franconia Brook camp site and upstream crossing the North Fork. I have seen many crossings in other areas but to risky for me. I have attached a map showing the removed bridge as well as the North crossing over Thoreau Falls Bridge. I have waded across the brook there and bushwhacked back to Bondcliff Trail.Pemi cross alternative.jpg

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast