Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Confused about ridgelines

Hi all, long time lurker first time poster! I was not sure how to phrase my question so it was hard to use the search function please forgive me if this is well trod territory.

I recently bought a 11' argon Dutch hammock and as I suspected, it has the perfect lay for my particular fatness/tallness combination. This will be a yard and periodic camping hammock so I don't want to bog it down with a structural ridge line but I do want to be able to set up a working ridgeline for both the hammock/bugnet and the tarp when camping.

a) do they hang from the same ridgeline? I am thinking not since I would (barring gale weather) want the tarp higher than the ridgeline of the hammock.

b.)do I hang a tarp ridgeline just using rope and knots? that seems difficult to get taut, even a whoopie seems like it would be difficult to tension tightly enough. I have zing-it, (which also seems like it would be bad for the tree under load.)

c.)would a separate hammock ridgeline for the bugnet/sock/whatever need to be tied into the hammock's suspension (as in one rope from hammock end to the tree, two ropes from hammock end to hammock end) to hold up a bugnet effectively so there's only one tiny hole at each end? If so what do I string the hammock ridgeline to? The continuous loop?

thanks in advance

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Welcome to HF from a little farther north.

This may help answer a few of you questions and give you a variety of methods....

http://theultimatehang.com/hammock-camping-101/

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR
    Tarp
    Dutchware Bonded
    Insulation
    Enlightened / HG
    Suspension
    HG Daisy Chain
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post

This may help answer a few of you questions and give you a variety of methods....

http://theultimatehang.com/hammock-camping-101/
    Ditto...! Also some good basic hammock info comes from our ole buddy Snug

https://youtu.be/4GQPY5BuyPI

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR
    Tarp
    Dutchware Bonded
    Insulation
    Enlightened / HG
    Suspension
    HG Daisy Chain
    Images
    Sorry...SHUG with an H..

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Here is another Shug video that explains the ways to secure the tarp line to the tree. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJLBHEGQFwk . I like the method that starts around the 8:00 mark. Minimal hardware and easy to set up. Also, with regard to your specific questions:

A) Most people do not use the same suspension for the tarp and hammock. The Hennessy tarps come on the hammock suspension, but I find that it sags when I get in. I think a separate line, is definitely the way to go. Either a continuous ridge line that goes tree to tree and is attached to the tarp with prussics and small biners, or two separate lines, one off each side of the tarp.

B) You can use knots, or hardware to secure the lines to the trees. Common hardware options include Nite ize figure 9s or Dutchware Flyz, Stingerz or Wasps. ( I prefer the separate lines with Tarpflyz securing them.)

C) The separate hammock ridgeline usually has a fixed loop on each end. You just undo the continuous loop, slide the fixed loop over it, and re-thread the loop. Super easy.

Hope this helps.
    Homer: Sir, I need to know where I can get some business hammocks.

Hank Scorpio: Hammocks? My goodness, what an idea. Why didn't I think of that? Hammocks!

Thanks so much, I think I get it- more flexibility for hanging more tarps in more ways if I just start out from the gate using a continuous ridgeline for my tarp which I will string up using zing-it and nite iz 9s (still not loving the zing it on the tree, maybe some webbing to protect the tree.)

I can make a fixed ridgeline for my hammock and just only put it on when I need to, I should find a comfortable ridgeline length now while I have it set up in the backyard and make my zing-it looped RL.

Is there such a thing as a "ridgeline hold-er up-er" that I can wedge between my sewn channel and my hammock ridgeline (something about a straw-length long and shaped like a cartoon legbone) to hold it more above my head than it will be if it just runs at whatever height my hammock sag dictates? Then I can still have only one rope coming off the hammock end but the head room of a two rope set-up?

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    You can have a higher hammock ridge line. Use 2 amsteel continuous loops (about a foot long) larks headed on both ends of hammock. Attach whoopie slings to continuous loops and attach hammock ridge line to end of whoopie slings. Hammock ridge line would need to be longer than a standard line between hammock ends but this will give you more head room and the problems would be bug net might not fit over larger set up. An added benefit is you might get away with hanging your tarp from this elevated hammock ridge line. I've not tried this yet but have seen elevated hammock ridge lines in use for comfortable (more head room lounging). Good luck.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG 20 Inc/Burrow
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SidewaysHaircut View Post
    (still not loving the zing it on the tree, maybe some webbing to protect the tree.)
    Most of us don't worry about any minimal abrasion of the trees from our tarp ridgeline, but we absolutely do take steps to minimize it with our hammock suspensions. If it is a major concern for you I'd suggest sticking a couple small twig shims between your zing it RL and the tree. If there is wind the zing it will be sawing at the shims instead of the tree bark. Of course you'll still have a little bark-on-bark action, but it still might be an improvement, and it's free and doesn't require that you carry anything extra.
    Last edited by DanglingModifier; 04-01-2015 at 16:24. Reason: Fixed borked quote

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    I wonder how many people will start calling him SNUG now. Lol
    "There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service
    My Trail log: http://ducttapeadk.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I have ridgelines on all my 11 ft. hammocks. On shorter hammocks, the ridgeline can bump into your head, but not so on an 11 ft. hammock (I'm 5'11"). I've never once thought, "Gee, I wish my ridgeline were removeable" because it's never in the way.

Since I use a Fronkey-style bugnet, the hammock ridgeline is essential to keep the bugnet off my face.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast