Help in comparing hammocks

Hello all,

I have been reading a ton of information on this topic and I think I have information overload.... I have never camped in a hammock and this would be my first one to have in my camping/hiking setup. The two Hammocks that seem to jump out at me are the following:

Mosuito Hammocks (jungle)
    Hennessy Hammocks(Explorer Del)

I am 6' and weight 230lb with wide shoulders. I like the idea of a bug net and a tarp.

However, I really do not see much on the two hammocks listed here often and wonder what it is that I am not understanding in my reading on this forum. Could anyone with background in these hammocks point me in the right direction?

TIA

Hammock
    SLD Tree Runner
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Pson1012 View Post
    Hello all,

I have been reading a ton of information on this topic and I think I have information overload.... I have never camped in a hammock and this would be my first one to have in my camping/hiking setup. The two Hammocks that seem to jump out at me are the following:

Mosuito Hammocks (jungle)
    Hennessy Hammocks(Explorer Del)

I am 6' and weight 230lb with wide shoulders. I like the idea of a bug net and a tarp.

However, I really do not see much on the two hammocks listed here often and wonder what it is that I am not understanding in my reading on this forum. Could anyone with background in these hammocks point me in the right direction?

TIA
    I know the feeling. I just started looking at hammocks recently myself, and wading through all the possible options and configurations can be a daunting task.

Personally, I am nearly the same size (6' 250lbs). I was going crazy browsing through all the different vendors offerings and looking at the different material options.

I think, in a matter of a couple weeks, I went from "Wow, I want to try this", to "I think I'm going to buy this one" to "Wow, I think I can make one...and a tarp too" to "I'm going to make all my gear!" to "I'm buying a sewing machine!" to "Whoa Nelly...maybe you should find out if you even like hammocks first".

Many people suggested going to one of the organized "hangs" and checking out some gear. Somebody mentioned the one in Eastern PA coming up this month. So that's my plan. I'm going to drive over one day of the MAHHA hang and look at some different set ups before I invest in too much. To assuage the anxiousness some, I did recently pick up a used hammock here in the classifieds just so I can try something out before I go to. Just for reference, its a Simply Light Designs TreeRunner Double Layer. More than anything, I really just want to see if I fit in a standard size hammock or if I need to start looking at larger kits.

Worst case scenario, I hang this hammock I just bought and hate it...I'm only out a few bucks.
    Best case, I love it and spend the rest of my life accumulating different hammocks and tarps LOL

Edited because I forgot to add: I don't want to add to your confusion of choices, Derek Hansen (The Ultimate Hang) recently did a review on a hammock that really looks good to me. The Dream Hammock Thunderbird. It seemed, to me, to be customizable enough to fit the needs of bigger people.
    http://theultimatehang.com/2015/03/d...erbird-review/
    Last edited by Led Boots; 04-01-2015 at 11:07.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    After spending so time here, you can do your own comparison because you will have accumulated several hammocks, like everyone else here. Lol.

Seriously, attending a group hang is the only efficient way of comparing hammocks. Folks are more than willing to let you try their rig and discuss pros & cons with you. Plus, you'll meet some mighty friendly people!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Quote Originally Posted by Led Boots View Post
    I know the feeling. I just started looking at hammocks recently myself, and wading through all the possible options and configurations can be a daunting task.

Personally, I am nearly the same size (6' 250lbs). I was going crazy browsing through all the different vendors offerings and looking at the different material options.

I think, in a matter of a couple weeks, I went from "Wow, I want to try this", to "I think I'm going to buy this one" to "Wow, I think I can make one...and a tarp too" to "I'm going to make all my gear!" to "I'm buying a sewing machine!" to "Whoa Nelly...maybe you should find out if you even like hammocks first".

Many people suggested going to one of the organized "hangs" and checking out some gear. Somebody mentioned the one in Eastern PA coming up this month. So that's my plan. I'm going to drive over one day of the MAHHA hang and look at some different set ups before I invest in too much. To assuage the anxiousness some, I did recently pick up a used hammock here in the classifieds just so I can try something out before I go to. Just for reference, its a Simply Light Designs TreeRunner Double Layer. More than anything, I really just want to see if I fit in a standard size hammock or if I need to start looking at larger kits.

Worst case scenario, I hang this hammock I just bought and hate it...I'm only out a few bucks.
    Best case, I love it and spend the rest of my life accumulating different hammocks and tarps LOL

Edited because I forgot to add: I don't want to add to your confusion of choices, Derek Hansen (The Ultimate Hang) recently did a review on a hammock that really looks good to me. The Dream Hammock Thunderbird. It seemed, to me, to be customizable enough to fit the needs of bigger people.
    http://theultimatehang.com/2015/03/d...erbird-review/
    I have to say that is 100% my thinking and process too.... However, it is very hard for me to travel to the next hanging event that is planned for my state OH and isn't an option until late in the summer season (trips planned with wife). I did notice the Dream Hammock as well, but didn't like that fact they didn't offer a trap with the hammock. However, I did enjoy reading the link (Thank you) and will place a call to them for more details.

Hammock
    Hammeck Breezy, GTSBP
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 12
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Buckles/Whoopies
    Images
    If I were you, I would just buy a simple 11' gathered end hammock and try it out. Dutchwaregear.com has a bunch of different fabrics to choose from and with suspension its about $70 to get one. This way you can try it for not too much money and if you don't like it, I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to sell a dutch setup for minimal loss.
    If you do decide that you like it then you can worry about getting bug protection, a tarp, and insulation. If I could do it all over again I would have done a ton more research before buying so I didn't end up buying twice

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I'm not sure which hammock you are referring to by "Mosuito Hammocks (jungle)". If it's the Claytor Mosquito Jungle Hammock, just be aware that it is quite short with only 300cm (9.8'). Many of the taller people (+6') prefer 11' hammocks. Hennessy Hammocks make good hammocks, but their specs are not easy to read, and they are not exactly lightweight.

I would suggest that you do a bit more research here on the forums and check out the cottage gear vendors. A Dream Hammock Thunderbird is right on the top end, and quite expensive if you don't even know yet if you will stick with hammocks. Simpler hammocks are cheaper. I would recommend starting out with one of those. Dutchgear has been mentioned, but Butt in a Sling (BIAS), Wilderness Logics (WL), Simply Light Designs (SLD), Warbonnet (WB) and some others (check the vendor section in the forum) all make simple no-net hammocks that would let you test the waters without spending a fortune. Dream Hammock (DH) also makes an affordable no-net hammock, the FreeBird.

I'm afraid that didn't make your choice any easier. Just read a bit more, spend some time on the vendors' sites, and then simply pick a hammock that looks good to you. Most cottage gear sells quickly with little loss in the For Sale section, though, in case you aren't happy with your purchase.

Hammock
    Woodsman X
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    HG phoenix 20 deg
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    i would side with others here in trying an inexpensive hammock - from prices when i was concidering the hennesseys are good but are overpriced, when compared to other manufactures, especially the cottage ones found in the listings here on HF,good luck

• + New Posts