10'Argon DutchGear
    Tarp
    11x10HexDutchGear
    Insulation
    Jarbridge3S/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Toggles

usgi patrolbag tq

So I've recently cut the snaps and zipper out of my gore usgi patrol bag. Looks like it weighs around 20 oz. Just wondering If anyone has done this. The same bag was also a pod system attempt that ' wasn't happy with so instead of closing the hole at the bottom of the footbfoot box i just ran some shock color d and a barrel lock and pulled it shut. Figured if I was too warm maybe I could open and get relief, and I really didn't feel like sewing It shut lol doing this all by hand I don't have a machine ;/
    But the patrol is supposed to be a 30 bag but in my experience which is a whole lot with this bag. It's a really good 45 bag. And so finally I was wondering what temps do u guys think I could get to with a jarbridgejarbridg 3 season and my patrol bag top quilt? And I always wear polyester base layers when sleeping in the cold.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    I have often thought about converting a Patrol Bag into a top quilt. But my bags weigh 38 ounces and I wasn't sure I would get enough weight savings by removing the zipper and snaps to make it something I would want to carry. I think it would be as warm as a poncho liner (31 ounces) and if I could get it down to 20 ounces i would be quite happy with that.
    Plus, I already have 2 Patrol Bags and can get good used ones for under $20.
    As for temp ranges - I would think the Jarbidge/Patrol Bag combo would probablyt get you into the low thirties at least.
    I've been wrestling with a summer top quilt decision for some time - I may give this a try after all.
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    10'Argon DutchGear
    Tarp
    11x10HexDutchGear
    Insulation
    Jarbridge3S/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Toggles
    Fyi I aLao cut the hood even with the front of the bag.

Formerly Known as Sespe Drifter Jerven's Avatar
    Hammock
    Shelltowee Boone 20
    Tarp
    Need one
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    buckles&straps
    Would love to see some pictures of the bag....Or quilt now. Thanks

Hammock
    10'Argon DutchGear
    Tarp
    11x10HexDutchGear
    Insulation
    Jarbridge3S/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Toggles
    Still getting it finished have it a friends who has a machine.

Hammock
    wbbb,streamliner,GTUL
    Tarp
    Supafly,HG cuben
    Insulation
    JRBmt4,diy,AHE
    Suspension
    whooopieee
    I have done an underquilt with one ended up roughly the same weight. I've slept down to the high 20s low 30s in it. Worked well. I have also used the patrol bag as layering with a 40 degree topquit slept great down to negative 40. I think its an over looked DIY bag. I believe To best of my knowledge It has climasheild insulation.

Hammock
    10'Argon DutchGear
    Tarp
    11x10HexDutchGear
    Insulation
    Jarbridge3S/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Toggles
    I agree I think it's pretty much same material as the jarbridge. I tested a patrol bag that still has zipper and snaps but used it like a top quilt lastnight. The low was 30. I was perfectly fine wI th a very thin yoga Matt cut down for my foot box area (reflective on one side). Looking forward to having my finished usgi summer tq now. 20 oz for the jarbridge and 20 oz for the usgi summer with zip and snaps and hood removed not too too bad. ( very happy)! Thanks AHE

Hammock
    Warbonnett XLC
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I use the green bag as my top layer when hammocking indoors. Outdoors I use a 20* Hammock Gear under quilt with the black bag from the USGI Patrol Bag system.

I think that both the green and black bags (either alone or together) make for a very bulky package if you're hiking any distance. Bulk-to-warmth ratio isn't good. Down seems to compress better and result in a warmer experience IMO.

But, if it's what you have, use it. You can always extend the temperature range by wearing layers, blocking wind and wearing a good hat. I've been using my patrol bag system as top insulation for over a year now. No modifications to any part of it.

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    In colder weather I've always used the sleep system as my top quilt, although I've never removed anything from it. If you have top and bottom quilts that are in the same neighborhood for temp rating, the UQ will be your limiting factor.

Hammock
    10'Argon DutchGear
    Tarp
    11x10HexDutchGear
    Insulation
    Jarbridge3S/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Toggles
    Ok cool thanks for the replys. The jarbridge and patrol bag aren't bulky to me because I don't use a compression sack to sleeping gear it all go's to @ he gis to the bottom of my pack n a trash bag. Stuffed not rolled. This way all space of the pack is used @ there isn't any wasted space so doesn't really bother me. I'm pretty happy tho with everything getting ready to get the usgi tq back and can't wait to feeling it's lightness lol. I'm a really warm slelder I really think I could p rolly take I to 25 maybe 20s with a silk top quilt insert. Oh and I also forgot to say I did this test w/o a rain fly so no protection from the wind. so....

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast