Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Camo Cuben
    Images

SD-Rapid City and Sioux Falls hanging spots?

I am going to be driving out to Montana soon, and am looking for places in South Dakota along I-90 to hammock camp and hike (or do a short <10 mile backpacking trip). This will be my first time in South Dakota so I’m excited to see it on my roadtrip, even if I won’t have much time since I have to get to my new job.

Any recommendations for a quiet place, perhaps a state park or recreation area, to hang my hammock for the night west of Sioux Falls?

Suggestions for a <10 mile, 1-night backpacking trip outside of Rapid City, preferably somewhere with lots of elevation change and good trees for my hammock.

Thanks so much!!!

The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
    Hammock
    WARBONNET 1.1 DOUBLE, DIY BRIDGE
    Tarp
    DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES
    you can hang anywhere in the black hills on national forest land for free, although you can't have a fire, or in any of the national forest campgrounds for around $15-20 a night and they all have fire rings, bathrooms and fresh water

i am partial to the norther part of the black hills because that is where i live (spearfish), but the entire area has great hiking and camping and all within about an hours drive of rapid city

here is a link to a bunch of hiking trails in the hills

http://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/blac...25823&actid=50

sheridan lake is where we have the black hills hang every year, here is a link to the hang to give you an idea of the area

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-Aug-20th-23rd

not sure about the sioux falls area so i can't help you there, not a whole lot of forest areas in eastern s.d.

let me know if you have any more ?'s and i will help where i can

boot
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Camo Cuben
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Boothill View Post
    sheridan lake is where we have the black hills hang every year, here is a link to the hang to give you an idea of the area

let me know if you have any more ?'s and i will help where i can

boot
    Thanks so much for the great information! Too bad I won't be able to join you for the hang. That area looks gorgeous! Looks like the Centennial Trail goes right out of Sheridan Lake--how is that for dayhike? Also saw some hikes to Harney Peak--where would you recommend camping or backpacking near there?

The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
    Hammock
    WARBONNET 1.1 DOUBLE, DIY BRIDGE
    Tarp
    DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES
    Quote Originally Posted by joanwest View Post
    Thanks so much for the great information! Too bad I won't be able to join you for the hang. That area looks gorgeous! Looks like the Centennial Trail goes right out of Sheridan Lake--how is that for dayhike? Also saw some hikes to Harney Peak--where would you recommend camping or backpacking near there?
    the centennial trail is about 115 miles long, you could do an out and back or maybe have someone shuttle your car for you a ways down the trail to the next trailhead or something like that

the harney peak area is very nice and much different than the northern hills, if you want to do a nice hike down there i recommend the little devils tower hike, the hike up to harney peak is nice and offers some really great views, but depending on the time of year you will be on it with alot of other people as it's very popular, it's only about 4 miles up and back also, although if you tie it into a few other trails you can make up to 15 miles or so

if you want to avoid people you might want to look at the black elk wilderness area also, very nice and you won't hardly see another soul

http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/black...62817&actid=50

depending on when you are going to be in the area, sodakgrrl and myself might be able to shuttle your car or yourself if you wanted to do some miles on the centennial and not do an out and back

boot
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Camo Cuben
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Boothill View Post
    the centennial trail is about 115 miles long, you could do an out and back or maybe have someone shuttle your car for you a ways down the trail to the next trailhead or something like that

the harney peak area is very nice and much different than the northern hills, if you want to do a nice hike down there i recommend the little devils tower hike, the hike up to harney peak is nice and offers some really great views, but depending on the time of year you will be on it with alot of other people as it's very popular, it's only about 4 miles up and back also, although if you tie it into a few other trails you can make up to 15 miles or so

if you want to avoid people you might want to look at the black elk wilderness area also, very nice and you won't hardly see another soul

http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/black...62817&actid=50

depending on when you are going to be in the area, sodakgrrl and myself might be able to shuttle your car or yourself if you wanted to do some miles on the centennial and not do an out and back

boot
    WOW thank you so much this is great! Will have to read more on the area-- so many options. Really appreciate it!

• + New Posts