Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by rofo View Post
    I don't know about that. Come on up have some fun and enjoy, just leave your gun(s) at home.
    Granted I lived in Grande Prairie, Alta. for a few years, but I've never had any issues at all in Canada, including Quebec. Actually, in Quebec they seemed to like me because I *wasn't* Canadian. Everyone was super friendly.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Quote Originally Posted by IRONFISH45 View Post
    Americans are not always loved, so be aware of that fact, make every effort to be a good guest.
    If your "fact" was true you wouldn't get this happening. Could you please also show us the data to support your "fact"?

Hammock
    Warrior Edge UL - LSoH
    Tarp
    'Razor' Hex - LSoH
    Insulation
    LSoH Toaster TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Various
    Quote Originally Posted by rofo View Post
    If your "fact" was true you wouldn't get this happening. Could you please also show us the data to support your "fact"?
    Lol. I think this is all going off topic. Canadians are just awesome. If the mic broke during a World Cup hockey game with Sweden I'm sure they would sing the swedes national anthem too!

Just thought I would add my two cents worth, in case anyone else was looking.

Just as a note. Pretty much all of western Canada is under a fire ban, including back country camping.
    I just got back from Waterton park office with a "fist full" of answers to some similar questions.
    Waterton National park does not allow hammock camping. tent/hammock must be erected over a tent pad.
    The park staff felt that there wasn't enough trees at the sites to allow this to happen. I have not been to any myself, to comment.
    As of 8/8/2017, all back country camping is banned and no camping permits are being issued in waterton.
    I'm off this weekend to a Kananaskis country office to see what the policy is there!

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Camo CF
    Insulation
    HG Burrow /Phoenix
    Suspension
    Kevlar straps
    I know this thread is pretty old, but I've been wondering the same thing as the OP. I'm flying into Calgary in July for a week long backpacking trip and will be staying at some of the backcountry sites in Banff. Also heading to Mt. Robson to do the Berg Lake trail, and wondering if Hammocks are allowed. I may have to pack the tent just in case.

I'd suggest bringing a tent. Lots of backcountry campsites are close enough to treeline that the trees are spindly. And some parks staff can be picky that your hammock has to be hanging above a tent pad (i.e. can't create your own random camping spot).

Berg Lake is part of the BC Parks system and they are explicit on their website that hammocks aren't allowed.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Camo CF
    Insulation
    HG Burrow /Phoenix
    Suspension
    Kevlar straps
    Quote Originally Posted by mm53bar View Post
    I'd suggest bringing a tent. Lots of backcountry campsites are close enough to treeline that the trees are spindly. And some parks staff can be picky that your hammock has to be hanging above a tent pad (i.e. can't create your own random camping spot).

Berg Lake is part of the BC Parks system and they are explicit on their website that hammocks aren't allowed.
    Thanks for that info. I was hoping that since this thread was a few years old, that maybe the parks are getting more used to hammocks, but I guess not yet.

The lack of random camping really limits the ability of the parks to be more open to hammocks. As long as they stick to the idea that backcountry sites need specific tent pads, it's hard to be open to hammocks.

It ultimately comes down to how much you want to gamble. You can always take the chance to camp away from the designated campsites. You'd be violating the rules, which only matters if you get caught. There aren't a lot of rangers patrolling the trails so you'd probably be good.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123