Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bought the Superfly. On the way. Bought some Silnet loacally today.

They had 2 different packages. One had Black letters of "SILNET" on the tube. The other was a blue color

I am guessing the difference was last years model vs newer model as other than the packaging and writing they both appeared to be Silnet

Hammock
    DH Dangerbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Here's a pic of the bottle I got from Amazon a few weeks ago if that helps. Used it on my SF as soon as I got it and it worked out well. Easy to apply and fast-drying.

“I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form.” – Winston Churchill

Looks like the black lettering which is the one I bought. Was a buck cheaper and had the Made in USA right up front

Hammock
    SLD Tree Runner DL
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20+1
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Just got my SF in the mail this week and was reading up on sealers today ....I liked the idea of Permatex flowable silicone windshield sealer myself..

Hammock
    Dutch PoylD 11' charcoal grey
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 0* incubator
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk i View Post
    Just got my SF in the mail this week and was reading up on sealers today ....I liked the idea of Permatex flowable silicone windshield sealer myself..
    that is what I used on my new SF last month.
    It worked very well for me
    I hung my Fly in garage inside out and tied it down to sand bags to hold tight.
    The Permatex went on very easly and let it dry over night. It says flexable too.
    " BEING A BOY SCOUT ISN'T SOMETHING YOU DO....IT'S SOMEONE YOU ARE" Miss Lisa troop 24

May get the Permatex as well. Can keep the Silnet if needed later. I watched the video of the gooping all over and didnt like that. It only makes sense that if the fabric is waterpoof with a thin coating of sil then why do you need to goop the threads so much?
    Anyway I have Mineral Spirits in the garage so may thin down either if I need to. Then use sparingly

And so I go to the Silnet site. Amazing they rec that you thin it. Here's the link and an excerpt .

https://www.mcnett.com/gearaid/blog/...arps-and-tents

You will need:

A brush
    Cup/tin or something to mix up in
    A bit of card, or a steady hand
    Damp cloth
    Gear Aid™ Sil Net™ Silicone Seam Sealer for silnylon
    Mineral spirits

Start by cleaning the seams with rubbing alcohol and allow to dry. Then mix a little Mineral Spirits in a tin with Sil Net until it is a workable viscous paste. This will make sure it’s easily applied and rubbed into the seams. The whole point is to get it to soaking into the stitching where the water could penetrate.

Hammock
    DIY / Half-wit / WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ WD
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I went the permatex route myself (see https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...=1#post1410081). I was pleased with the results. Just cut the smallest part of the applicator tip off that you can, and run it over the places where the thread penetrates the tarp.

Hammock
    Dutch PoylD 11' charcoal grey
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 0* incubator
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by punkisdead View Post
    I went the permatex route myself (see https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...=1#post1410081). I was pleased with the results. Just cut the smallest part of the applicator tip off that you can, and run it over the places where the thread penetrates the tarp.
    I went that route the first time I sealed my SF and that weekend was out in a hige rain and still got a steady drip coming in on 2 of the pull outs and small drips on other 2.
    So back in the garae we went and I covered the entire pull out and sealed every bit of it. No more leaks and it drys clear and unless you look under the tarp no one knows it is there but no more leaky leaks on my SUPER FLY.
    " BEING A BOY SCOUT ISN'T SOMETHING YOU DO....IT'S SOMEONE YOU ARE" Miss Lisa troop 24

Hammock
    Dutch & ENO
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    PLUQ
    Suspension
    Woopie, MSH, Bling
    Temps here in N.Y. finally got warm enough for me to seal my SF tie outs. I used the permatex flowable windshield sealant also. After appling I went over sealant lightly with a disposable acid brush. Very easy to work with and looks great. Done with tarp pitched and inside out btw. With spring here I will have plenty of rain for testing soon.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast