11.5ft DIY hammock
    Tarp
    DIY winter tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS Apex UG/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    Last discussion I followed about this subject was here.

Hammock
    DIY Spruce Goose
    Tarp
    HG CF Airstream
    Insulation
    DIY Apex Mr Hankey
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    Not sure where Extrem is getting there info but I work pretty close with Climashield here in the US and their current recommendation for sewing is such:

"The only required stitching, aside from design aesthetics, is at the edges where filament ends occur"

In years past...and it has been some years ago the recommendation was to use quilting loops but you have to dig way back for that. I think Extremes info is a bit dated.

As far as the KAQ tutorial, take a look at the date on it as well.....going back a good ways there and that tutorial also shows about 20 excess steps to the construction than are really necessary. Personally (and again I build these things every day, including the Potomac (which is the original KAQ described in the tutorial)) I would not follow that tutorial to build a Climashield quilt.
    Thanks for that. I was worried I was going to have a lot more work on my hands.
    MEDICINE
    MAN
    The GAME '03

Medicine Man's YouTube Channel

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    If Paul has made about 15,000 UQs, then I have bought 0.000266667 % of them.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    11.5ft DIY hammock
    Tarp
    DIY winter tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS Apex UG/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    If Paul has made about 15,000 UQs, then I have bought 0.000266667 % of them.
    This means 4 or even more in about 2015-2009 = 6 years? So the average life of your quilt is 6/4= 1.5 years? This would be a bit short from my personal point of view. I hope you can still use at least 4 for different purposes.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl_hanger View Post
    This means 4 or even more in about 2015-2009 = 6 years? So the average life of your quilt is 6/4= 1.5 years? This would be a bit short from my personal point of view. I hope you can still use at least 4 for different purposes.

Gunner has not worn out any quilts to date. He has kids, family and loaner gear that he is gracious enough to let fellow hangers use at hangs. The Life span on a quilt is many years more than 1.5 The very first quilt that we made is still in use today and I get reports every so often from them. I still have and use the very first Climashield Pillow that we made back before AHE ever was an idea.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    11.5ft DIY hammock
    Tarp
    DIY winter tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS Apex UG/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    Then everything is good. I was already surprised at the high consumption in different pieces of equipment which some people have here in the forum. I expect at least a 5-year life span for all gear objects which I will make myself.

Hammock
    10' Dutch Argon1.6
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Golite20/Phoenix20
    Suspension
    WS,Dutch,Litesmith
    I have an early KAQ 5.0 Apex thats been toasty in the 20°s and had to vent in the mid upper 30°s because of wearing to much in sleep/base layers.

Hammock
    GEAUX Hammock
    Tarp
    GEAUX Dry Tarp
    Insulation
    GEAUX Warm UQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    I have a little knowledge in this world.

A single layer of 6oz should take you comfortably to around 25°F, Single layer of 5 to Freezing or there about. I would not bother with any quilting, Climashield does not need it. I would also not bother with splitting and using two layers of 3oz rather than a single of 6oz. Asking for cold spots with quilting on a material that the manufacture states does not need it. Staking 2 layers of 6oz would take you to around 0°F and 3 would be way to heavy/bulky to pack and cary anywhere.

This is of course my personal opinion with around 15,000 quilts made and shipped using Climashield exclusively for everyone to back up that opinion.
    +1! I have an under quilt from Paul (New River Long) and he is dead on. I have also made one using 5.0. no quilting, no darts, just simple stitch around the perimeter. It works great albeit certainly not as professional looking as AHE's quilts which are outstanding. IMO Paul is the local expert on all things Climashield.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Hammock Bliss
    Insulation
    MacPac Neve TQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Awesome feedback folks. Winter is coming soon to Sydney, so I'm taking a lot of this advice on board.

"Personally (and again I build these things every day, including the Potomac (which is the original KAQ described in the tutorial)) I would not follow that tutorial to build a Climashield quilt.
    Eek (plus minor heart palpitation)! I was getting ready to start constructing two DIY summer-weight climashield UQs for 2 bottom-entry HHs (explorer and safari) using the KAQ tutorial as my starting point (already purchased all my materials). I was planning on deviating from a number of the construction methods, but was looking at the pattern primarily for sizing (I really liked the asym design with darts). Without giving away any of your trade secrets, do you think the sizing on the tutorial is still okay???
    Last edited by gobiidae; 04-15-2015 at 10:30.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast