Superfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Dutch Stuff
    Images

Am I missing out on something?

Here's my situation:
    I have several different hammocks; HH (early model), eno, pares, treehugger, yukon outfitters, lots of diys. But I don't have any, what I consider "higher end" hammocks. I've been debating if I should get something in the WB or Dream hammock line. Is there a big difference in comfort? If you had your choice, what is your "holy grail" of hammocks. Or does it all come down to personal preference. I'm trying to avoid buying several more just to see if I'm missing something.

Hammock
    DN, Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    ProFly/SuperFly
    Insulation
    KAQ JarBridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    The real benefit of the Cadillac hammocks is a well designed all in one package. I prefer a modular system with a separate bug net because I don't always need it and don't want to have to carry the weight. It really is preference. Often times though, the cottage manufacturers are the only place to get longer lengths that many people enjoy.
    All those hours exploring the great outdoors made me more resilient and confident

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    S2S Comfort Light
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    I have only slept in my WBBB XLC 5 times but can't say enough good things about it. Really comfortable sleep with the footbox design they implemented on this hammock. The shelf is a great luxury addition plus the bug net can be taken off to convert it to their Traveler if not needed or to reduce weight. I highly recommend Warbonnets products and the XLC was worth every penny.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, Hennessy
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    FWIW....I started with an ENO and then switched to a HH. I now have a XLC. I struggled with something comfortable on my calf due to my height. Im 6'4 205 and I wanted something with more length. I really like the integrated footbox and the added length of my XLC. Sleep like a baby except for the occasional "under the tarp monsters" that are to nosey for their own good! Another thing I really like is the integrated bug net. Im not a weight weenie, I don't do any long backpacking trips so the weight doesn't make that much of a difference to me. I have tried many other cottage brands and kept migrating back to WBs.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Depends on if you feel like you're missing out. I don't have any Cadillac hammocks and don't plan on buying any. I prefer simple, gathered-end hammocks without all the features that I really don't need. I especially don't like integrated bugnets.

For the cost of a high-end hammock, I could buy something I really want, like a new quilt or tarp. I have six quilts and six tarps, but not a single high-end hammock. A $175-$260 + hammock just makes no sense to me.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 04-06-2015 at 15:20.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Cinch bugs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Depends on if you feel like you're missing out. I don't have any Cadillac hammocks and don't plan on buying any. I prefer simple, gathered-end hammocks without all the features that I really don't need. I especially don't like integrated bugnets.

For the cost of a high-end hammock, I could buy something I really want, like a new quilt or tarp. I have six quilts and six tarps, but not a single high-end hammock. A $175-$260 hammock just makes no sense to me.
    I'm the same way. I sleep in a DIY gathered end hammock and I probably won't go to anything else. I also would prefer to spend more on tarps and quilts than a hammock.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Digital Camo GG
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks!

For the cost of a high-end hammock, I could buy something I really want, like a new quilt or tarp. I have six quilts and six tarps, but not a single high-end hammock. A $175-$260 hammock just makes no sense to me.
    This X10!
    "Never corner anything meaner than you are...."-Unknown

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Dutch Stuff
    Images

For the cost of a high-end hammock, I could buy something I really want, like a new quilt or tarp. I have six quilts and six tarps, but not a single high-end hammock. A $175-$260 + hammock just makes no sense to me.
    I certainly don't feel like I'm missing out but sometimes curiousity gets the best of me. The most comfortable hammock I have is the first one I ever purchased. Just a simple gathered end, nothing special. I do have a couple UQ's and a few diy tarps.
    I was just wondering if the comfort level was that much higher or is it just "accessories" your paying for ie. Bugnet, footbox, shelf.....
    Maybe I should just attend a group hang and see if I can try some different ones out.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    They say curiosity kills the cat. Around here it just gets in your wallet.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chrishom13 View Post
    I certainly don't feel like I'm missing out but sometimes curiousity gets the best of me. The most comfortable hammock I have is the first one I ever purchased. Just a simple gathered end, nothing special. I do have a couple UQ's and a few diy tarps.
    I was just wondering if the comfort level was that much higher or is it just "accessories" your paying for ie. Bugnet, footbox, shelf.....
    Maybe I should just attend a group hang and see if I can try some different ones out.
    Group hang would certainly help out. I've never heard a convincing argument that a high-end hammock is more comfortable than a simple, gathered-end. There's not a single high-end hammock vendor, to my knowledge, claiming that all those features increase comfort, not WB, not Dream Hammock, not Clark, not Hammeck. You buy a Cadillac hammock for features first, comfort second. Do peak bags, ridgeline organizers, gear shelves, removable topcovers/bugnets, and footboxes increase comfort? I suppose it depends on your definition of comfort.

When I think of comfort, I think of sleeping comfort. Some high-end hammock vendors offer different fabrics, which may increase comfort, but primarily, they're offering features. Used to be only Clark advertised themselves as 4-season hammocks, but now other high-end vendors are claiming that their hammocks are 4-season. Frankly, I don't think the addition of a topcover makes a 4-season hammock - I would say that 4-season hammocks don't exist without insulation.

There are a few vendors that offer insulated hammocks, but again, I don't think they're claiming them to be superior in comfort.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast