DIY dbl.layer
    Tarp
    DIY camo semi-cat
    Insulation
    DIY IX-UQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies

IX-IQ ??? Maybe we've had this all wrong

For several years now I've been using and enjoying my DIY IX-UQ, made from 4 layers of large screen TV wrap plus an outer shell of material very similar to what an UQ protector is made from. I've been down to 22º with it, and although it doesn't pack as small as a down UQ, I'm not complaining because it was basically free. Just a few nights ago I was out enjoying a hang on a local mountain. The low only got down to 46º but there was a constant light breeze all night. Several times I woke due to a cold shoulder / back / or butt, and would readjust or snug-up the UQ to try to seal up the gap. Even though it wasn't very cold out, I couldn't seem to keep the wind out of my UQ. This was a new problem and it kinda bothered me.

I set the hammock up the next day in my shop and got to looking at how the UQ fits (or doesn't fit!) around the ends, where the hammock material is sort of like an accordion when someone's laying in it. Even with the UQ snugged up against the hammock, the in-and-out ridges of material allow a lot of air to get past the edge of the UQ if the breeze is coming from either end. Sure the draft collars help, but not enough.

So here's my dilemma:
    - Pads eliminate the air gap problem because your body weight is against the pad. They're plenty warm. But they're uncomfortable, move around, and are huge to pack.
    - Down underquilts work great, are comfy, and pack small. But they don't come cheap, and there's always fiddle-factor to eliminate air leaks.
    So what if I take my IX-UQ and stuff it inside my dbl-layer hammy??? I'd call it an Insultex Inner Quilt, or IX-IQ !
    I know the premise has always been, "...the air gap between the IX layers adds to the insulating value..." thus the differential cuts and overall shape. This has worked well. But would it work if those layers were packed tight against each other without the air gaps? Easy enough to find out ...

I removed the suspension and the cinch cords so the UQ would lay relatively flat as a 40x60 panel, and then slipped it inside my dbl-layer hammock, orienting it like I would a pad with one corner at my head and the opposite corner toward my feet. I crawled in and within a few seconds was amazed at the warmth I felt. Wow, potential! The neat thing is that it seems to have the warmth of a pad, but with the comfort of an UQ, since the layers are thin and can adjust to your body shape or pressure points. Since there's no rigidity to it, the Insultex didn't try to move around at all. It really is comfy and it really is warm!

Some thoughts I need to work out:
    - Since the panel is 60" long, I may add an attached foot pad.
    - Also considering a simple way to clip the IQ inside the hammock at the head & foot points so its always at the right place. Lastly, if this seems to work, I'll make a dedicated IX-IQ without the differential cuts, more like 4 identical layers plus the shell for a windbreak. I think this would lay flatter plus would be much easier to assemble, even if you wanted to change the shape a bit to better fit the diagonal lay.

If folks are DIY-minded and looking for a cheaper alternative to down quilts, an IX-IQ could be made for very little cost if they source an Insultex substitute like I did, perhaps from big TVs or furniture wrap.

Testing will continue and I'll let you know what I learn ...

-Klauss
    Last edited by Klaussinator; 04-07-2015 at 14:54. Reason: speeling
    My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/rexmichaelson

"But hey, 2 trees anywhere is a bedroom waiting to happen, right?"

Hammock
    DIY dbl.layer
    Tarp
    DIY camo semi-cat
    Insulation
    DIY IX-UQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    In response to several PMs, I'll try to get some pics tonight. And hopfully a full night of testing - looks kinda windy!

-Klauss

Hammock
    DIY 10' Hexon gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon 10'x12
    Insulation
    DIY down Argon UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    Interested to hear how it goes. And yeah, pics. You know the saying.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG 20 Inc/Burrow
    Images
    I don't know what TV wrap looks like, so I'm looking forward to seeing your project if you take some pics!

I also second or third the request for pics, please.

Typos from my Moto E using Forum Fiend v1.3.1.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    1.9oz DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    Would a few loose stitches thru the outer layer of your hammock and the foam be enough to hold it in place? Maybe each corner and the center....based on where it needs to be.

Hammock
    DIY dbl.layer
    Tarp
    DIY camo semi-cat
    Insulation
    DIY IX-UQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayson View Post
    Would a few loose stitches thru the outer layer of your hammock and the foam be enough to hold it in place? Maybe each corner and the center....based on where it needs to be.
    Yes it would, and I had the same thought. But I think it would be best if the IQ is not permanently attached to the hammock, for reasons of packability and temperature changes. Hmmm...

After a bunch of messing around last night, I'm convinced that a rectangular IQ is not the best shape for a diagonal lay. Gonna try to "map out" my body print and adjust the shape of my IQ or maybe even source more materials and make a dedicated IX-IQ that fits better, without the extra corners.

I'm convinced the idea works - just need to fine tune the size and shape. Pics once I get this figured out... promise!

-Klauss

Hammock
    Yukon Double
    Tarp
    Yukon rain fly
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Seems like an interesting idea, following how this turns out.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    I'd recommend re-reading the caveats in the original IX quilt thread regarding the vapor barrier qualities of the material, and include that in my testing.

I would think that having a VB hanging somewhat loose underneath me is doable without much problem, but laying essentially right up against it with only one layer of fabric between me and it might make for a damp night.

Hammock
    DIY dbl.layer
    Tarp
    DIY camo semi-cat
    Insulation
    DIY IX-UQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    ... laying essentially right up against it with only one layer of fabric between me and it might make for a damp night.
    That was my first concern because I've noticed that with pads. But so far not with multiple IX layers - not sure why.

Definitely will require more testing

-Klauss

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast